Mayones opinions?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Dawn of the Shred, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Sdrizis89

Sdrizis89 SS.org Regular

I just grabbed a Duvell for a great price. The build quality is incredible and the guitar plays beautifully. I will definitely be buying more. If they are worth the price tag is up to you. It's amazingly well built. Pretty sure you can find then for decent prices used.

2liveis2die35 likes this.
  2. skmanga

skmanga SS.org Regular

pls delete

3. InHiding

InHiding SS.org Regular

I gotta say I'm disappointed with one Duvell I bought new late last year. It's a 6 string Duvell Elite and it came out of the factory with one neck bolt stripped. That's just unacceptable! Also I tried to set it for a drop A tuning with a 62 gauge 6th string. It doesn't fit the nut. I'm not sure if even a 60 would fit. I do not like the idea of filing anything, but maybe it needs to be done.

Personally I would also like if the bridges were installed a little further, even 1 mm would help. Not sure if it would mess up it for some people if they tune up.

The 25.4" is not a good guitar to begin with if you want to tune down.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  4. LeoLmX

LeoLmX I like turtles.

It's not "only a 62", that is a huge string! You most definitely have to file the nut to a proper size to fit that thing. I have a Duvell Elite 7 with the same scale length as yours (25.4) and I can safely say that I do not have any issues with tuning, and I play in drop A with a 60. The neck bolt stripped is a bummer though.

narad likes this.
  5. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

A neck-bolt being stripped is definitely bad, no question; however, your other concerns are not at all actual concerns. If you buy a 6-string (99% of which will come in E-Standard with either a 42 or 46 for the low E) and the nut will fit a 62 gauge string without filing then that itself would be a problem--you don't want to buy a new guitar in E standard and have a 62 gauge string fit the nut without issue. When you go up in string gauges, especially from a 46 to a 62 you will 100% require a filing of the nut, that's just normal and expected.

The scale length is personal preference. Down-tuning how far (Drop Db, C, B, Bb, A, lower)? The majority of down-tuned 6-string guitars are on scale lengths between 24.75-25.5. A scale length of 25.4" on a 6-string is more than adequate for most people, even if they are tuning down quite low. If you want to downtune a 6 really low then you can buy a baritone scale 6, what were you expecting exactly?

LeoLmX likes this.
  6. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

I also have a Duvell that arrived with two neck bolts stripped. It's apparently a Thing. :\

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  7. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

It might be something with the alloy used in these black bolts. I remember few years ago, when i was ordering my first Skervesen, i wanted black bolts and i’d been told that they (Skerv) use only steel/chrome/dunnowhichmetal bolts because the black ones can strip or break. My :2c:

AkiraSpectrum likes this.