Mayones opinions?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Dawn of the Shred, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Scoop the Mids and Chug

Thinking about taking the jump and spend some serious cash on a Mayonse Duvell. I’ve read reviews and watched YouTube videos but I want your guys opinions. How are they? What’s neck shape/feel like? Build quality worth the price?

Thanks for any info and help

soldierkahn likes this.
  2. GXPO

GXPO SS.org Regular

If you have 6000+ posts I feel like you probably know the general opinion of Mayones on the forum :p

I couldn't get on with my Regius but that wasn't because it wasn't a very well made guitar. The Setius I had again was well made, but the G string would not stay in tune (a pretty common issue which I just didn't know how to deal with at the time) and the neck wood would dent if you even looked at it sideways. In general, the reviews are incredibly favourable.

skmanga, Dawn of the Shred and exo like this.
  3. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

The bunch of them I played over time was impeccable after the Musicstore period. Typically, I tend not to gel with the Regius too much, in spite of it being a great guitar, could never put my finger on "why", and that isn't as common on the Setius / Legend, which I tend to dig a lot more, yet it is all down to personal tastes.

Objectively, what I came across was very well built, with some really nice attention to detail while feeling and actually being quite sturdy. Neck shape has some girth to it, but it leans towards the "shreddy" side for the most part, without humongous shoulders or an overly large "flat" center section. Worth a shot, IMO!

Dawn of the Shred likes this.
  4. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

I have a Duvell QATSI and it’s great if what you’re after is a modern superstrat similar to a RG. There is not a single quality flaw and it’s just a very well built guitar as a whole. The neck on mine is very thin, not unlike an Ibanez Wizard neck, but rounder and very comfortable.

Worth the price? That one can only be answered by you. If you have the cash to spare and want a flawless instrument, yes it is in my opinion. Otherwise, there is plenty of other options that are very good for less money.

5. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Super well built. Great choice if it’s in your budget and you don’t need hype options like fan fret. Well I guess only fan fret. That fan fret upcharge is brutal.

narad and Dawn of the Shred like this.
  6. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

7. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

Duvells are probably the best Mayo to buy these days in terms of bang for the buck, even though I prefer my Regiuses (Regii?). The forearm area has never bothered me but I could definitely see why it would bug some people.

8. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Scoop the Mids and Chug

How would they stack up against EBMM, ESP, Ibanez prestige, which are some on my favorites I have owned. Right now I’m just using Agile’s for all my 7 needs ( which are awesome for the money imho)

MerlinTKD likes this.
  9. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

= to bfr ebmm. High end Japanese esp. >>>> Ibanez prestige.

10. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

On par with the best EBMM stuff, comparable to "real" ESP and ESP USA (better than E-II), and better than just about all non-J.Custom or non-Sugi Ibanez.

If you gel with the neck shapes, bodies, and aesthetics they're hard to beat.

11. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

Like Max said, on par with EBMM most high end. Much better than your run of the mill prestige.

The only guitars I owned that I liked just as much or more than Mayones was Suhr. IMO Suhr's feel and quality are an industry benchmark. If I was to ever spend that much money on a guitar again, I would go the Suhr modern route.

Never owned an ESP though, so I can't comment on that.

12. MSS

MSS SS.org Regular

I think they are outstanding guitars in that price range. The action will arrive nice and low. The necks are a fast c shape. The fit and finish is excellent. I am lucky enough to have a few guitars from different manufacturers and luthiers and the Mayones Duvell gets the most playing time. If you keep an eye out you can pick up a 7 string for around $2500. I am in the states but I ordered a Mayones Gothic 7 Duvell from omega.be via Reverb. You can get to them on facebook and work out a good deal. If I get another at some point I will order it right from their site to get it even cheaper. You will pay a 6% duty keep in mind. I got mine in 5 days too. Pretty good service.

13. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Play before you buy.

When you walk in to a store you're about to spend serious money in (whatever is serious to you, if you work hard for $500, that's serious). Try every option avaliable to you then make your decision.

When I bought my last 7 I played about 3 or 4 different Mayones, 2 were master built. All of them were impeccable. But I ended up walking away with a used custom shop schecter.

The schecter was worth the same if it was new but it was used and heavily discounted so I couldn't justify the 2 grand more for a mayones that didn't make me feel as good even if it was shiny and new.

Mayones are absolutely superb, well crafted guitars. But try everything you can before dropping any amount of money you hold dear to yourself.

14. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

I'm not a fan of the ones I've played, which isn't many because i'm not a fan of the ones I've played.

I think we got Mayones here in the UK before they really hit the US and I used to doubt the build quality, it wasn't up to what it's reputation suggested, but I wonder whether I'd tried them before the "hype" started. The build quality is not an issue with the up to date ones but the playability/setup was no better than any other high end guitar on a shop wall.

I'd definitely need to "try before I buy" given the competition at that price point and I highly doubt that I'd be walking out with a Mayones unless they've changed significantly in recent times.

15. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I bought a Setius back in 2013 and it’s a fantastic guitar, still my main. I think that was around peak-hype on the forum as bulb still posted regularly and I believe was playing Mayones at the time (or recently moved on, I forget). The Duvell wasn’t out yet if I recall correctly.

I think their older stuff supposedly wasn’t as high end, or less highly regarded. I haven’t put much research into it though. You can recognise some of their older guitars as they have wooden control cavity covers.

I’ve only ever played my own Setius. I’m told the Regius is quite different given its neck thru with many more pieces in the neck, flat top, etc.

Mine was not set up very good, but that was easily remedied. It’s a left handed guitar so I imagine the shop I bought it from didn’t do anything to it after they got it from Poland.

Also the volume pot was a bit wonky so I replaced that. I can’t think of any other faults, other than coming stock with a JB7 in the bridge but I guess that’s personal taste.

16. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Yeah, Mayones quality and consistency (both materials and completed instruments) jumped up considerably around 10 years ago or so.

17. AltecGreen

AltecGreen SS.org Regular

Mayones was the first high-end guitar I ever bought. It was 2012 Setius leftover from the NAMM show. I got it for a low price directly from the distributor since the hype was still building. The guitar was a revelation and the neck was fantastic. The set-up was good but as I've had the opportunity to own many more guitars, in hindsight the set-up was so-so on that guitar. The bones of the guitar was great although I grew to hate the pickups. I recently sold that guitar because I bought better guitars.

I ordered a custom Mayones bass and a seven string Regius soon after and those were much better in build quality overall. I love them and still have them but I discovered much better guitars. On the bass side, my Marleaux Constat is superior to the Mayones in almost every way for about the same money. I sold the Setius because my Zerbeus was better built, had better set-up and playabilty, and more flexible in range of tones, etc. The money from the Setius went into the G-Life DSG I just bought and that guitar is nearly perfect. The set-up is so good the guitar came with sub-millimeter action and played flawlessly.

I can still recommend Mayones because they make high quality instruments and the newer ones are very nice. There is a certain style that is unique to Mayones and that counts for a lot. However, I would not put their set-up and playability up against the best like Suhr or G-Life. This can be fixed by having the guitar taken to someone good but that is an extra expense ones has to consider. The competition in the space that Mayones occupies is very fierce and there are a lot of brands to consider. For the OP, if you have your heart set on one, I would go try one out. The necks on the various Mayones models are all a bit different. I liked the Setius profile more than the one on the Regius for example.

18. Dyingsea

Dyingsea SS.org Regular

I enjoy a good Mayones but their prices have gotten a bit ridiculous. IMO their niche should be in the $1500-$2500 realm. With some of their prices 5-6 k+ nowdays for their higher end models it seems like they are trying to push more into the boutique realm with the likes of Fibenare, PRS private stock/artist, Gustavsson, Suhr etc. and they just aren't there and that's not their customer base.

19. haffner1

haffner1 SS.org Regular

20. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire thy fart is murder

a lot of that is dealer upcharges for us poor schmucks in the usa. they rarely go over 4k in europe (and those are their masterbuilt from what i've seen) .