Mayones Hydra Elite 7

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Doug N, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Doug N

Doug N SS.org Regular

Interested to hear anyone's thoughts about the Mayones Hydra Elite 7. I'm back in the market for a 7, I had a Mayones Regius 7 a few years back and I loved it, but my ex-wife decided to kill that guitar, with extreme malice. Anyway, I loved the playability of that Mayones, but I've never played a guitar without a headstock. Any thoughts on that, or anything else about the Hydra? Thanks in advance.

RobDobble6S7 likes this.
  2. RobDobble6S7

RobDobble6S7 Professional shit talker

RIP regius 7. gone but not forgotten.
    Headless guitars are fun to play with, have never owned one but tried a Strandy 6 in guitar center the other day.

Samark and Doug N like this.
  3. Doug N

Doug N SS.org Regular

One other question, forgot to ask. You can get into the Hydra for about $1K less than some of the other models. Other than the bolt-on and the lack of a head it seem like you're getting everything else you'd get in a typical Mayones. I've watched a few videos online, I'm not hearing any major tonal difference but interested in that as well.

4. MSS

MSS SS.org Regular

71A128A7-529E-467C-A5A6-BC9D27508F17.jpeg I have a Hydra 7 gothic and it is SICK! Love it. If you keep checking musicstorelive.com you can get one for a reasonable price. I put sfty4 pups in mine and this pic was taken right after that prior to cutting the strings. My one slight gripe would be that it’s hard to get a flush cut after restringing. However, the headstock extends past that so you don’t get dinged by any sharpies.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  5. Doug N

Doug N SS.org Regular

Looks awesome, I'm seeing a couple good deals on Reverb but I'll check out musicstorelive too.

Does the metal where the head would typically be balance the neck out? Can you notice a difference in neck weight or does it feel like a regular guitar?

6. vortex_infinium

vortex_infinium SS.org Regular

I've played a couple, am also waiting on the right deal for one myself. I love headless guitars in general, owning several headless models myself. I consider the Hydra just guitar without a headstock, and that it feels as such. I cannot justify the metal headless-stock to make any sort of real world difference whatsoever. It's far thinner than you think. All headless guitars will have a different inherent feel due to not having a headstock, some jive with it, some don't. It feels like most any other headless guitar IMO.

If anyone is willing to try, with a grain of salt, run a piece of painters tape with a piece of paper under it for protection over the headstock and use a quality pair of snips on as obtuse of an angle as possible. Even without, i've personally never had an issue with 'pointies' sticking out of a headless model (but I also don't carry my guitars around in gig bags or anything where I'm blindly grabbing at the headstock either).

Doug N likes this.
  7. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

The hydra isn’t a regius. It’s much more of a duvell. If you’ve played both and know you like both then you’ll probably like the hydra.
    I personally don’t like the duvell.

Ben Pinkus and Doug N like this.
  8. MSS

MSS SS.org Regular

It’s well balanced both sitting and standing. I don’t notice any difference than a regular Mayones playing wise but it is lighter.

Doug N likes this.
  9. Gruggasthefirst

Gruggasthefirst SS.org Regular

It’s an awesome guitar. The 7 hydra elite was my first guitar in the headless world and I personally love it. The guitar rings like a bell when you strum it unplugged and it stays in tune very well.

Doug N likes this.
  10. Doug N

Doug N SS.org Regular

Thanks guys, just pulled the trigger this morning.

11. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

If it's anything like my Mayones QATSI, the build quality is amazing, but not smash proof.

AkiraSpectrum and RobDobble6S7 like this.