MaxOfMetal's Post Deemed "Dickish"

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Manurack, May 27, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Oh man I was obsessed with Lego as a kid, loved the Star Wars and Lego City. I actually went through some of my old sets recently that were left back home. I rebuilt one of them just for fun, such a weird experience to be building a set from my childhood as an adult. I've genuinely been curious about buying a newer set as an adult, but honestly none of the new stuff peeks my interest like the older sets did when I was younger.

BlackMastodon and Quiet Coil like this.
  2. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

I did like Legos, then, let’s just say I got into computer viruses.

3. chipchappy

chipchappy thudmaster

Hell yes! Worked at the LEGO store for 5 years. Learned a ton, built a lot of sets, met some cool people and had lots of fun!

Quiet Coil likes this.
  4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I never got "into" legos. Closest I think I got to something like that was building some of those little model kits. And it's not really close at all.

5. Quiet Coil

Quiet Coil Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

I had it bad all the way through Junior High. Like plan builds on graph paper when I couldn’t build (sort of like how I obsess over guitars when I can’t play them now…).

Got out of them for something like 15-20 years, then one Christmas my wife bought me a mini AT-ST set and the floodgates opened. Went crazy when Star Wars started making a comeback - keeping it in check only by limiting myself to SW kits.

Between the unraveling disappointment of the sequel trilogy and the fact that the kits I’d like to display tend to be $$$$ (in lego money anyway, chump change in guitar terms), the lego train has been steadily losing steam. My grandson’s getting old enough for fancier kits now though so… we’ll see.

Told you I had it bad. :) I admire some of the techniques the modern designers use, and man what I would’ve given for some of these new parts back in the day!

6. Bodes

Bodes SS.org Regular

Can't wait for my little man to be old enough to bring out LEGO. Wife bought me some of the LEGO batman stuff for a few years, then Jnr put a stop to that.
    At the moment can only build with the boring child-safe stuff, which doesn't really hold together that well. The little one enjoys it.

Albake21 and Quiet Coil like this.
  7. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Lego Masters on Fox/Hulu is a lot of fun. Think Master Chef, but Lego and hosted by Will Arnette. Unlike so many reality competition shows, everyone clearly deserved to be there, and made some mind-blowong stuff.

8. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

I was a poor kid with parents that drank a lot so I got multiples of the same small generic kits. I had like 2 firetrucks, 3 ambulances, etc. Whatever... I still loved anything Lego that I received. But they didn't even have themed Legos when I was little.. it was all generic stuff iirc. Lego's recent/ current series sets like Speed Champions, Technic, Creator, etc are really awesome and some of the challenging build sets are just insane to me.

Quiet Coil likes this.
  9. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

See, I didn't have the imagination to use all of those super-specific parts from the specific specialty kits in different ways. I much preferred the more "generic" sets with the more plain bricks.

10. Quiet Coil

First kit I can recall was a relatively large spaceship (1984?) that my mom’s boyfriend at the time bought. It was mostly random bits adding to the collection after that.

The dream would of course be the latest UCS Falcon, ‘89 Batmobile and Batwing. The way I look at it - if I magically had the cash to blow (and a place to put them all) I could probably afford to pay a scalper even if they’re discontinued. :)

I’ll be a happy camper if I can figure out how to score the new (not)UCS R2-D2. Would go great with my BB-8 (the only salvageable character from the sequels as far as I’m concerned). :lol:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  11. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

I have a good buddy that I met on Xbox live over 10 years ago around when Halo Reach came out. Dude used to make full sized Lego Spartan armor. He has a few vids of it on youtube.

Quiet Coil likes this.
  12. nightflameauto

nightflameauto SS.org Regular

No.

And this is absolutely NOT a project I have going on in my back room.
    cave5.jpg

And, as far as "being in IT" goes, you spend a few years being the only IT person in a company and it tends to stick on you, even when you're technically just the guy that does the database and web interface for the dealer ordering network.

13. VibTDog

VibTDog who farted?

My kid loves Legos, I've been building Legos for him for like 5 years. Avengers, Star Wars, City, Spider-Man, haunted shit...I can build Legos in my sleep. You need Legos, I got Legos guy.

Albake21 likes this.
  14. brector

brector SS.org Regular

I collect the Star Wars Ultimate Collector's additions. Until I had my son, I would get 2 of each: one to build and one to save. Will probably be able to put my son through college on the unopened sets alone:D

Quiet Coil likes this.
  15. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

I was obsessed with lego as a kid. I still have all my old sets at my mom's house. I just can't bring myself to get back into lego since I'm already into guns/guitars (which are expensive hobbies already lol), though I've been pretty tempted by some of the newer star wars stuff.

I just started getting into model airplanes and hoooo boy that shit makes legos seem cheap.

Quiet Coil likes this.
  16. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I wonder how a Lego 4x12 would sound.

Albake21, Bodes and Quiet Coil like this.
  17. Quiet Coil

Depends on what color you use. ;)

Bodes and c7spheres like this.
  18. nightflameauto

Give me a few days. I may just have enough of them to build one. I'm positive I could build a 2x12. Though I don't have good speakers to fill it, I could pop in an old Peavey speaker and a shitty Celestion 70/80.

Wonder how much volume they'd take before they started to rattle apart? I've had my room pretty loud and my current project (much bigger now than pictured up thread) hasn't rattled apart yet, but that's without the direct pressure that builds up inside a cabinet.

Holy shit. This might actually be something I'm curious enough about to try. Not sure how I'd form the speaker holes in a way where I could actually screw them in though. Hmm. This is worth pondering.

19. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I'd be worried that the speakers would be too heavy for lego.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  20. nightflameauto

You'd be shocked at what Lego can hold up in a tight grouping with some thought put into shear and pressure. I've built towers five feet plus tall that hold some fairly significant weight on top of them without issue. And last season's Lego Masters had a couple build a bridge that held over a ton of weight and they eventually stopped adding weight for fear if it did collapse it'd cause catastrophic damage to the studio and/or the people in it.

TedEH likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.