MaxOfMetal's Post Deemed "Dickish"

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Manurack, May 27, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

I've tried raw oysters with just some lemon juice on top.
    It was like taking a shot of pure sea water.

2. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Raw oysters are like the only thing I miss about being a vegetarian. 10/10 hoping they become vegan friendly soon.

Bodes likes this.
  3. LostTheTone

LostTheTone Elegant Djentleman

I guess oysters are in a weird position in the veggie hierarchy. Like, they aren't mammals, and they are barely more alive than a plant, but we all kinda know they are.

I'm not veggie, but my wife is, and she has a strict "I don't care about fishs' feelings" policy. Sea food is fine, as long as it doesn't have legs. A woman has to have a code, right?

StevenC likes this.
  4. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I don't eat fish because a) disgusting and b) they are one of the worst industries for pollution and environmental harm. And that's the second from main reason for my diet other than trying not to rust guitar strings.

Nlelith likes this.
  5. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

People who eat fish are pescatarians. Vegetarian means not eating any animals. Neither is morally better or whatever, but the distinction is important to keep clear to avoid confusion around those who have strict dietary restrictions. :2c:

I'm a vegetarian, not because I love animals, but because I really hate plants. :lol:

BlackMastodon, Bodes and StevenC like this.
  6. LostTheTone

Preaching to the choir dude, but if you want to have that fight with my wife then you're a braver man than I am. She's small but she's viking and she fights dirty.

StevenC and bostjan like this.
  7. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

Oysters are the ocean's snot. You can eat boogers, can't you?

vilk, Bodes and StevenC like this.
  8. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I'm not creative enough or a good enough cook to find suitable substitutes to be able to just cut meat out and not feel like garbage. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for lots of fruit and veg, but it's much harder to sustain yourself on just those things, IMO.

StevenC likes this.
  9. bostjan

Yeah, probably best not to start something with someone whose diet consists of whatever heavy metals big corporations are dumping into the ocean.

StevenC likes this.
  10. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I don't know if you get them over there, but a good way to start is the vegetarian replacement food brands. Linda McCartney and Naked are the two best ones I've found, and Quorn to a lesser extent.

Again, maybe not a thing across the pond like it is here, but Linda McCartney sausage rolls are the best sausage rolls available in my opinion. And I come from a town that is famous for sausage and pork products.

Also Linda McCartney meatless meatballs are 10/10 and Naked Glory burger patties are as good as I've found so far and I don't really feel like I'm missing out.

Things like bacon or wings are far harder to replicate. Cauliflower just doesn't cut it, but the bacon is getting close if still a bit dog food smelling. Poultry substitutes are basically as good as at this point.

11. LostTheTone

To be fair, she doesn't eat fish often...

So she's just hormonally imbalanced from all the soy products :facepalm:

I keep telling her that killing animals is both fun and delicious but she's having none of it.

12. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Linda McCartney brand??? Weird. Here we have the "Impossible" branded stuff that's actually pretty good. I've had the burgers a few times. I have some of the meatballs right now but haven't tried them yet.

I use Quorn on pizzas sometimes. It's a very good substitute for ground, spicy sausage.

I'm not a vegetarian, but I'll occasionally get this stuff instead. Hey, it might be the future, better get used to it!

13. LostTheTone

Yeah, it's a real thing. Not sure how well distributed they are but yes, it is THAT McCartney.

I eat a good deal of Quorn (I do most of the cooking because I have STANDARDS) and honestly its not even something I notice any more. It's just fine. Not spectacular but fine.

Naked are the best by absolutely miles though, but pricey enough that you wouldn't want to buy it just to throw in something else. Great as a proper meat substitute though.

14. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Yeah, in the 70s Paul and Linda became vegetarian and realised there was almost no choice or variety for vegetarian food, so she created the brand in the 90s. I guess it's mostly owned by Heinz these days.

Wicked is another good brand here, but we don't have Impossible yet.

15. nightflameauto

nightflameauto SS.org Regular

Most likely because you have standards for food products that can't be bought over there just yet. My understanding of Impossible branded products is they're worse for human consumption than the actual meat they replace in some instances. Now, they can arguably be better for the environment, but if I'm eating meat substitutes, I want to at least be on-par with, if not far better than meat for my own purposes.

The two bugaboos for me with Impossible products is the saturated fats and sodium.

I haven't managed to find a way to get at the McCartney products in the states. Here our choices are real meat, meat substitutes that are . . . questionable on the quality side of things, or tofu.

Not that I have anything against tofu. It just doesn't cut it when I'm in the mood for a burger.

StevenC likes this.
  16. bostjan

Here in Northern New England, we have several brands of highly processed vegetable "meat," none of which are horrible, but they have their uses. I think Impossible might be the only widely available one that you can pretty much swap for meat.

For me, though, it's more about enjoying real veg dishes than making fake meat. It's like the solid state amps of the 1990's... rather than trying to push the thing to pose for something else, it's advisable to just embrace the harsh crunchy and meatless tone. Impossible is sort of like the early Roland modellers that did an okay enough job for rehearsal, but you wouldn't really want to lean into it too much live, because it still has it'slittle funkiness.

StevenC, Quiet Coil and jaxadam like this.
  17. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

This is how I feel, and a lot of my vegan and vegetarian friends embrace it as well. If I want a vegetarian dish, I don’t want a bunch of tofurkey, boca burgers, and fake meat.

18. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

So, I go the opposite when it comes to eating less meat. [edit: actually, reading the most recent posts since I started writing this one, it looks like I'm on the same page as some here]. There have only been a handful of times where I haven't been painfully aware that what i was eating was a "meat substitute", and it was so much worse. I'd rather have no "meat replacements" than bad ones. I've had some BOMB meat-free burgers what weren't sold that way...they were just "veggie burgers". Why does it have to be a fake chicken nugget? Why can't it just be tempura/pakora vegetables?

Stock up on spices, don't be afraid of adding fat and salt, and try to get browning on everything. I've had some digestion issues for 6 weeks, and have been on a very restricted doctor-prescribed diet. While there are some meats that are supposed to be OK in limited quantities, I've almost all but skipped them completely in favor of just eating more vegetables. Unfortunately this prescribed diet is very limited and I can't include many things that would help with complete nutrition, so I have to take supplements for complete proteins (for example, i can't have any beans/legumes/pulses or mushrooms). But I'll take an oiled-up and heavily-salted sweet potato, baked at 425F for 50 minutes, served with maple syrup (and butter, if you can have it...I can't) over almost any boneless skinless chicken breast. If I could eat them right now, I'd take my Moroccan chickpea, lime and raisin stew over a shitty beef stew. i have this awesome butternut squash, ricotta cheese, lentil back with a basil lime drizzle that is one of my favorite recipies, and there's no meat.

Now...make no mistake...I don't think I could go full vegan.

Going back to the meat alternatives, the only one I can regularly get behind is something like Soy-rizo, a soy-based chorizo. Chorizo's texture, heavy seasoning and general oiliness make it a perfect candidate for replacing it with something ground up, heavily seasoned, and plant-based oils/fats can give similar "grease" experiences.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
  19. Quiet Coil

Quiet Coil Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

Not a vegetarian whatsoever, but Indian food (generalizing here I know - there’s a lot of ground to cover!) showed me I happily could be if it came down to it.

vilk and StevenC like this.
  20. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

In some salads it works but I'd prefer to use more flavorful cheeses

I haven't tried it on a burger but that is a good idea. In general I like mozzarella melted but not "raw".

InfinityCollision likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.