Maxed out Trem Claw?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by littlebadboy, May 28, 2021.

1. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

Hello, everyone!

I have been staying away with tremolo-equipped guitars because of their complexities. However, the PRS bridge design matched with the locking tuners convinced me to try it out again. The system is easiest for me! But I took out 1 spring leaving 2 springs as 3 of them were too tight for my liking. I have already maxed out the screws for the spring claw and the bridge is still just a tiny tad off from being parallel to the body. Is this acceptable? If not, any solutions? Is there a shorter spring claw that I may consider? Anybody else using just 2 springs for the tremolo?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  2. Marked Man

Marked Man SS.org Regular

2 springs?! OK if you play 9s I suppose. You could always get 2 heavy duty springs (higher tension than standard).

I never use less than 3 standard springs with 10s on a 6-string, and I like 4-5 springs for 7-strings with 10s.

Emperoff, Edika and littlebadboy like this.
  3. littlebadboy

Thanks for your input! 10s on the PRS 25" scale length almost feel like 9's, I suppose.

4. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

If it stays in tune and you like it then just leave it where it's at. The bridge doesn't have to be perfectly parallel. The main thing is you like it and it stays in tune and intonates properly. Yes, in theory leveling the bridge should give a beter result though.
    - If it aint' broke. Don't fix it.

- If you really, really want to level the bridge though, and your claw screws are already maxed out, then the only way to go from there is lower tension springs. This will likely turn into a lot of effort though totally possible, assuming you can find the right springs for the task.
    - If you're old 3 spring configuration looked like this / l \ (triangle) then you could also try putting the third spring back in with all springs parallel ( l l l ). This will be lower tension than the / l \ method but still higher than 2 springs. Kind of in between.

littlebadboy likes this.
  5. littlebadboy

Thank you all!

c7spheres likes this.
  6. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Get some light, medium, and heavy tension springs, and experiment. You might find you want, for instance, two light tension on the far left and far right positions on the claw / block, and a medium tension in the center.

littlebadboy likes this.
  7. Dave Death

Dave Death SS.org Regular

I used three standard Gotoh springs with the claw out a fair way until I tried fitting a Tremol-No and found that there wasn't enough room for it to work properly with the claw out that far. So I removed one spring and wound it in more. If I wanted more tension I guess I would just use two heavier springs

littlebadboy likes this.