Matt's newest custom order - Oni 7-string Fanned Fret Carbon Fiber \m/

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by HighGain510, Dec 14, 2008.

1. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide SS.org Regular

Aaaaaalright :lol: I was just rounding up...a lot.

That is beautiful, looks like it came from the future. :cool: GOTM I think.

2. Dee Jay Drugs

Dee Jay Drugs SS.org Regular

You mean to cover an already finished ax in carbon?

3. Dee Jay Drugs

I'm REALLY interested in spruce necked guitars. Is it possible to do a multi-lame maple/spruce neck? Is it possible to do a spruce neck without the carbon fiber weave? What about with interior carbon reinforcement?

I've always wanted a spruce neck-thru, but sort of gave up on it - until now.

4. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Why don't you email/pm Dan about this :2c:

5. Dee Jay Drugs

Well, I'm a pure neck-thru guy, so I'm not really in the market for one of his beautiful guitars. He's a busy guy, so I'd rather bother others before him.

6. dpm

dpm Oni Guitars Contributor

To be perfectly honest, I don't think there's much point in those approaches. The carbon exoskeleton approach stiffens the neck as much by shape as actual material stiffness - the cross section shape of the composite is essentially an arch, which is capped by the reinforcing properties of the fretboard.

A purely spruce neck shaft with a typical fretboard and trussrod may well have enough strength to hold up to string tension (I've seen perfectly functional 12 string necks made from very light mahogany, fretboards are a massive part of a neck's strength) but I prefer the tone of stiffer necks. The real point of this for me is to construct a neck that is stiffer than the usual maple etc. but much lighter.
    Using internal reinforcement might do the trick but you're not left with much wood in the overall neck structure, plus you have the soft spruce exposed to damage.
    I'm not a fan of multi laminate necks from multiple wood types. Each type of wood has it's own expansion/contraction characteristics with humidity and temperature variations. You can end up with the woods kind of fighting against each other, plus long term feel can be effected as the ridge between laminates becomes obvious (the different species moving at different rates).
    Re. neck through, one of the reasons I no longer use that technique is the difficulty ensuring a 2" thick blank is truly well seasoned (especially with very dense woods that I often use). Thick blanks also tend to have internal tension that causes the wood to move once it's cut thinner (or shaped to a guitar neck in this case). Using well seasoned quartersawn wood minimises this movement, but I still prefer to start with a blank closer to the final thickness of the neck shaft. Neck through is a recipe that probably benefits lot from multi laminate blanks because you start with thinner pieces which are easier to dry and have very little tension left in them.

Of course this is all my opinion on something highly subjective. You might make a spruce neck with or without reinforcement and love the result. It will still ding easily though :)

flo likes this.
  7. Dee Jay Drugs

Well, I guess the real question now is as to what the wait time might be for one of your guitars, now that you have the CNC programed.

I guess you've convinced me.

8. dpm

dpm Oni Guitars Contributor

For the carbon stuff, definitely 12+ months. It's complicated.

Right now the CNC programming is unique to each guitar, it's giving me accuracy but not a great deal more speed. This is partly because each instrument right now is different, and partly because I'm still developing a work process. The work holding, the whole order of things is evolving.

9. Dee Jay Drugs

Hmm, do you have any opinions on carbon fiber laminates, ala

Strandberg Guitarworks Blog Archive Neck-Through Carbon Fiber Construction

or

The Best Laminated Neck Construction

What about using both methods to create a sort of Π shaped cross section of reinforcement within a 3 piece neck?

I'd like to thank you for taking time to answer my questions...

two more, however:

1) How would you characterize the tone of spruce in general? I know I could try a Parker Fly, but I'd like your take on it.
    2) Can you paint a carbon fiber body?

10. flo

flo SS.org Regular

Only want to say that I love this guitar. Unique, beautiful and designed with a lot of thinking outside the box, built with obviously outstanding craftmanship.