Matrix Resurrections....

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Rev2010, Dec 24, 2021.

1. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I already posted my alternative plot thoughts earlier - and I'd even fleshed it out a little more later on in my head, but in short:
    Humans think they've won the war until programs realize they can also escape the matrix by taking jacked-in humans hostage (something something "ransomware" analogy). This takes the fight out of the matrix and into the real world, where the solution/climax comes from realizing it's been Matrix-ception the whole time, explaining why the one had powers outside the matrix. Maybe some new protagonist also has "real"-world one powers. Instead of "winning", they sequel-bait with "but what's happening in the REAL real world?!"

Alternatively, I think most people involved knew that making this movie at all was a trap. The best answer would have been not to make the movie at all. Or make a different movie that isn't billed as a direct sequel to the movie but shares it's themes or some element of it's universe or something.

TheBlackBard likes this.
  2. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Not a bad idea, and would've been a much better watch IMO, however the story-line would be flawed. Reason being is programs could still technically be in the real world, they'd simply need to be loaded into a physical robot body. All the machines that are going about their business in the real world are still machines with a program controlling it. In the first movie Smith said he wants out of the Matrix, and to do so he had to get the codes to the Zion mainframe so they can destroy the humans in the real world. That to me says that if they eliminated the trouble makers in the real world that were using the Matrix to free people and cause trouble that Smith would then be reassigned to some function in the real world, in the Machine City. Plus, I'm not so sure programs would want to take the risk of entering into a fragile/finite body just to live in poverty. Just wouldn't make much sense. Smith did it to try and kill Neo.

Then again who knows. They did say repeatedly in the films that any program that no longer serves a purpose is returned to the source, but if that is true and nothing is reassigned then I can't see why Smith wanted so eagerly to finish the job so he can be relieved of his duties in the Matrix.

3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Because I have no life, I've realized another thing that bothered me about The Re-Matrixening. The reflections. Did I mention the reflections before? Because the original films had this thing about reflections where they were almost always very deliberate. Like nobody ever had shades on without reflecting something significant in them. New movie I think threw this out.

And I get it, not every movie has to do every trick it's just...... I dunno, it feels like modern films don't care about that kind of detail anymore.

But just to balance it out - you know what, I did like the intro bits about re-creating the shots from the first film's intro. It's another one of those "I wish they had run farther with this idea" kind of things, where they had new characters live out a whole new iteration - and there'd be the opportunity to impress film nerds with how much of the details they got right etc., while handwaving the mistakes as the small differences in the new iteration etc.

4. StevenC

StevenC Javier Strat 8 2022

In the entire first part of the movie every time we see Neo in a mirror that isn't from his perspective it isn't Keanu. Like there's a shot in his bathroom when he's taking pills from his left side and we see his DSI in the mirror. Equally, there's a shot of Trinity's DSI in the coffee table reflection.

Similar to how the first zoomed out shot from Bugs's perspective of Neo walking off the building is his DSI then when it zooms in it's actually Keanu.

5. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

If it's there, I didn't notice it. I remember watching for people's glasses and not seeing anything, maybe I missed it.

6. StevenC

Really? I couldn't help but notice it. That's the whole point of the DSI reveal where they show Neo what everyone else sees in the mirror. Neo even reacts to seeing Trinity's reflection.

7. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I mean, yeah, I saw it when it was spelled out as the plot point - I'm talking about scenes where the characters aren't actively calling it out. It's not thoughtful cinematography when it's in the script.

8. StevenC

There are a bunch of scenes where you see the Tom Anderson character being played by a different actor, specifically in various reflection shots like in his bathroom and just before Bugs "sees" him. These are meant to be obvious that something is off because every time I saw one of those shots I thought there was some massive mistake in the editing. This is to make there be an actual reveal.

[​IMG]

9. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Fair enough