Mastodon Megathread

sol niger 333

I like stuff
Reaction score
^ Curl of The Burl did suck sheit to be fair...I am quietly excited about a return to Crack The Skye form on this new record though...I think it will be good

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
^ Curl of The Burl did suck sheit to be fair...I am quietly excited about a return to Crack The Skye form on this new record though...I think it will be good

I somehow missed that one entirely and just listened to it now. The only song I liked was Curl of the Burl, and mostly because it has one of the best music videos I've seen in recent years

Mik3D23

things
Reaction score
Seems a few folks reaaaaaallly want to make excuses for Mastodon's selling out. I don't care what color lipstick you want to put on your pet pig. It's still a pig. I could give a shit less if Brent can or can't afford his house or likes the fan base they had.

All I have to say is Curl the Burl is the last song I'll ever listen to by them. If they needed to put up a billboard that says 'We suck now' that was pretty much it. I might as well have been listening to Alice in Chains Dirt album - except that was better than Mastodon's new crap.

Good for them if they want mainstream fans for their typical music. I am not one of those, so its a moot point. Moving on...

You should try actually contributing something to discussion. No one cares if you don't like the new direction of their music. Just don't listen to it, plain and simple. Don't go around spreading this crap just to make yourself feel better.

If you can sit there and say that you won't even bother listening to their new material before the album is even out, why are you in this thread?

7slinger

wake up dead
Contributor
Reaction score
Seems a few folks reaaaaaallly want to make excuses for Mastodon's selling out. I don't care what color lipstick you want to put on your pet pig. It's still a pig. I could give a shit less if Brent can or can't afford his house or likes the fan base they had.

All I have to say is Curl the Burl is the last song I'll ever listen to by them. If they needed to put up a billboard that says 'We suck now' that was pretty much it. I might as well have been listening to Alice in Chains Dirt album - except that was better than Mastodon's new crap.

Good for them if they want mainstream fans for their typical music. I am not one of those, so its a moot point. Moving on...

I know you don't care, but I put Mastodon-colored lipstick on my pet pig - and if I get tired of that shade, Dirt-colored lipstick looks pretty good too.

I don't understand the assumption that they sold out. Maybe they're 15 years older now, and enjoy the music they're making now more than their early works? I know that my musical tastes have shifted some in the last 15 years.

Very few bands can "win." By that I mean if they churn out the same album with a different name on it every couple years, part of their fan base gets bored with them because they didn't evolve. But if they change it up, part of their fan base gets pissed off that they didn't stay true to their roots, whatever that means.

p.s. I heard their next album after this one is going to be all Opeth Heritage covers done acoustically

p.p.s. I was in LaCrosse a few weeks ago; stopped by Dave's, got drunk, the usual

TheHandOfStone

E♭M7(♭5)
Reaction score
When I was 15, I discovered and immediately dug the raw aggression of Leviathan and their earlier back catalog.
When I was 16, I thought Blood Mountain was amazing for blending that aggression with the more "intellectual" approach I was coming to love.
When I was 18, my tastes were evolving away from "angry" music, allowing Crack the Skye to grow on me in unexpected ways.

For a few years there, it was like my musical tastes were evolving in perfect conjunction with what Mastodon wanted to write. We've since drifted apart a bit, but I don't know if I'll ever have that same kind of "hivemind" desire experience again.

Reaction score
Sometimes I really feel like I'm the only one here who really enjoyed The Hunter all the way through. I think that if you can go a bit mainstream while still keeping a distinctive sound and heavy as fvck riffing then you should definitely go for it. I don't think that a band progressing and reaching a wider audience should be considered a bad thing unless they start releasing truly shit albums but that guys in Mastidon don't really strike me as the kind of people who would let themselves release a sub-par album.

Captain Shoggoth

literally just vibing
Reaction score
Weirdly enough despite loving Blood and Thunder and a couple of other songs from their back catalogue the first Mastodon album I got into was Crack the Skye when it came out, I was 13. Remains my favourite album by them but I love all of their back catalogue, and funnily enough (especially as I've done a sort of reverse transition from getting into loads of proggy technical stuff age 13-15 and now age 18 am listening to lots of simple heavy stuff) Remission is probably my second favourite :2c:

fps

Kit
Reaction score

You compare it Alice In Chains' Dirt like it's a bad thing? Dirt is one of the most brilliant albums of all time!

Mastodon sound like a band doing whatever THEY want to do to me. With the exception of Curl Of The Burl, I don't think they've written anything just for radio, for instance. This idea of selling out, it just doesn't make sense. The band remains WEIRD, and is always moving in new directions and changing their sound. I respect them, and though The Hunter wasn't my favourite of theirs, am very excited for the new album :hbang:

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Weirdly enough despite loving Blood and Thunder and a couple of other songs from their back catalogue the first Mastodon album I got into was Crack the Skye when it came out, I was 13. Remains my favourite album by them but I love all of their back catalogue, and funnily enough (especially as I've done a sort of reverse transition from getting into loads of proggy technical stuff age 13-15 and now age 18 am listening to lots of simple heavy stuff) Remission is probably my second favourite :2c:

I did that too. I got into them earlier in my entry to metal (like, following Metallica nearly), and so Crack the Skye's generally cleaner vocals were a plus since I still was getting used to growls/screams/etc. Then I worked my way backwards. They've all got their own special places reserved in my heart now :wub:

As far as The Hunter, I liked it a bunch on first listens, but stopped putting it on after not that long. I do like Curl of the Burl and Black Tongue... also All the Heavy Lifting and the Sparrow are excellent. A lot of the rest of it blends together for me.

stevexc

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I feel optimistic - I'm hearing a low A in there, so long as they don't get rid of that tuning I'll keep listening, haha.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
The more I hear of this new Mastodon, the more I find that Brann Dailor has become a really bland drummer, he used to be so exciting, a real fill machine with a really snare-heavy style. Fills left, right and centre and so on the groove, manipulating the beat of the song with such deftness. Brann on the first few Mastodon albums is my all time favourite drummer, it sounds like he phones his performances in now, it's really sad. He has become a very middle-of-the-road, vanilla prog drummer. I'd be interested to see what he sounds like live playing the older songs (though it sounds like they don't bother much with that now), to see if he can still nail them like he used to.

Sofos

СофоƆ
Reaction score
p.p.s. I was in LaCrosse a few weeks ago; stopped by Dave's, got drunk, the usual

Dave's is awesome. Haven't been there in a couple years though, moved to Georgia. Hopin to stop there this summer when I visit my family in Sparta.

Chimes sounds amazing so far, and I love High Road.

I also LOVE Curl of the Burl. One of my favourite songs to play on guitar. Such a smooth song to play, lots of fun.

stevexc

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The more I hear of this new Mastodon, the more I find that Brann Dailor has become a really bland drummer, he used to be so exciting, a real fill machine with a really snare-heavy style. Fills left, right and centre and so on the groove, manipulating the beat of the song with such deftness. Brann on the first few Mastodon albums is my all time favourite drummer, it sounds like he phones his performances in now, it's really sad. He has become a very middle-of-the-road, vanilla prog drummer. I'd be interested to see what he sounds like live playing the older songs (though it sounds like they don't bother much with that now), to see if he can still nail them like he used to.

I do have to agree there. He's still a GOOD drummer, but he's nowhere near as exciting as he used to be. The snare fills in March of the Fire Ants were some of my favorite drumming:

Of course, the intro to Iron Tusk is pretty killer too:

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
This is my favourite Brann performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXBpe_edgd4

It's like listening to a building burning down, it starts fairly slow and then erupts into a firestorm. The way he uses little snare rolls to lead into cymbals, the flams around the 02:40 mark, jesus what a performance. He knows so well when to use the double kick, he's always had that so down. "In case of emergency, break glass for double kick".

The riffs and singing on this song are ....ing sick too. Perhaps "Workhorse", or maybe "Motherpuncher" are the defining Mastodon songs to me.