Mastodon Megathread

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by ghost_of_karelia, Apr 4, 2014.

Tags:
  1. ErkerAsylum

ErkerAsylum SS.org Regular

Mastodon rules. Saw them last night in Chicago and they were awesome. The new song was cool but I'm sure it will be better once more people can get into it (none of us were really familiar with it) but their set covered a good amount of material, lots of classics, a few hunter songs (still new-ish) and High Road of course (which sounded really good live). Gojira was also amazing; i split my lip open in the pit. Overall it was a good day.

2. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

High Road definitely grew on me, and the new song sounded great! They killed it last night in Toronto, so did Gojira (duh) and Kvelertak were pretty awesome, too. Really glad this was one of the times that Mastodon sounded awesome (vocals were a little off but I didn't mind at all). It was also refreshing to see bands that still use cabs instead of Axe FXes. :lol:

3. Veldar

Veldar Is Post-Thrash?

What if I told you the cabs were fake and the pedal are actually gutted and are midi controllers?

4. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

LukeSkywalkerNoThat'sImpossible.gif

5. Nats

Nats SS.org Regular

They traded their fuzz for fizz.

6. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn Play more music

Yet another indication of how bloated and egotistical they've become.

They are no longer a metal band, they're a prog band - and what a sad loss to us all.

7. asher

asher So Did We

Yeah, because playing the music you want to play is so egotistical.

Are we listening to the same band? How is Crack the Skye not metal? Since I don't think you can describe anything off of The Hunter as "proggy" to nearly the same degree...

8. JoshuaVonFlash

JoshuaVonFlash SSBRO.org regular

New Mastodon Interview, skip to 5:20

9. spawnofthesith

spawnofthesith SS.org Regular

Mastodon has been a prog band since Remission

10. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Either cause it's not kvlt, or just cause he doesn't like it, I guess. There's basically no universe where it wouldn't be considered metal other than message boards for extreme metal puritans.

11. KFW

KFW SS.org Regular

And it's more than just a genre shift from "true metal" to "prog band". It honestly sounds to me like they just got plain better. Remission is cool and riffy and there is that nostalgia factor being their first album, but I can just hear an improvement further on. Even Leviathan has a few moments that don't seem like they quite hit their potential.

It sounds to me like as they improved they explored their potential (Crack The Skye) and now they are using their sense of melody and songwriting in different ways (poppy, concise). I personally really enjoy their later records and hear a constant improvement and refinement.

And in all honesty, while Crack The Skye is more impressive, I straight up get more enjoyment out of The Hunter. You can give it just a quick casual listen and it still sucks you in for a moment.

12. SeaBeast

SeaBeast SS.org Regular

Why does no one talk about Blood Mountain?! To this day I still think it's their best, and I love their entire catalogue.

13. asher

asher So Did We

Blood Mountain has some really really great stuff. I think it maybe suffers in perception from being or feeling a little more spastic and less cohesive.

14. KFW

KFW SS.org Regular

Yeah, I love Blood Mountain. But it does seem a little disjointed. It doesn't really move as an album to me, just seems like I have a bunch of badass Mastodon songs on shuffle or something.

15. Dan_Vacant

Dan_Vacant Hi I'm Dan.

I like their new and old stuff. I it's neat hearing them go from heavy sludge stuff to more psychedelic proggy stuff.

16. JoshuaVonFlash

17. piggins411

piggins411 SS.org Regular

Blood Mountain is BY FAR my favorite. It's always been a good middle ground between CTS and Leviathan to me

18. kevdes93

kevdes93 Sassy

blood mountain isnt my favorite album, but it does contain my favorite mastodon song perhaps ever

EDIT: AND A NEW GOLDEN AXE MODEL WOOO

19. JoshuaVonFlash

:agreed: It has this whole epic feel to it that just (in my experience) is impossible to not get sucked into, you can literally imagine yourself climbing a mountain and dealing with all the stuff that stands in your way and then finally getting the crystal skull (or at least having it in your sights, depending on how you interpret the story and the last few songs from the album)

20. SeaBeast

SeaBeast SS.org Regular

Yeah the flow of Blood Mountain was all over the place, though the concept of a character scaling a mountain/jungle in fear of his life really came through. Pendulous Skin to top that album off was amazing.

I'm very stoked to hear this new album, High Road was OK, I dug the solo. Kind of Thin Lizzy ish. But Mastodon singles generally don't do it for me.