Mastodon Megathread

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by ghost_of_karelia, Apr 4, 2014.

Tags:
  1. fps

fps Kit

OK first listen I love it. My fave Mastodon albums are Leviathan and Crack The Skye, while I always dig plenty of Remission and Blood Mountain. First. Anyone who thinks this stuff is simple should try and write it, the chord progressions and how they melt into each other feel so unusual at points, and there's the now-traditional insane fretwork from Brent too. Great variety of vocals styles, god I love High Road, those harmonies are tremendous, and I can't wait for the whole album to sink in after a few listens. There is some really, really weird stuff on there too, that freedom to explore that was so prevalent on Blood Mountain feels present here too. I like this much more than The Hunter on first listen, and the album art really complements the music beautifully, it is a technicolour album, amazing work \m/

2. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

^All of this.

I got my copy today and it is exactly as I expected, which is to say f**king awesome. Call me a fanboy, say what you want but they can do no wrong. I got into them during Crack the Skye and worked my way backwards. This album is still very much Mastodon, it's just not Remission. Brent said himself (the video is in this thread) that back in the day they used to just play as f**king fast and f**king hard as they possibly could and now they want to explore new boundaries musically and that's what they're doing. To be fair, though, I liked The Hunter, too, so I absolutely don't mind the "hard rock" Mastodon.

Also, holy goddamn balls, Tread Lightly blew me away.

Edit: JESUS, The Motherload, too?!

3. Spaceman_Spiff

Spaceman_Spiff Contributor

Well I just listened to it and I must say it is a little blander than their other stuff. I actually liked The Hunter a lot but Leviathan and Crack the Skye are the two best in my opinion. Remission seems to be most people's favorite but I guess you have two schools when it comes to Mastodon: Those who want relentless, fast, heavy metal, and those who prefer the proggier, mellower (?) side. Personally I like the proggier stuff but to each his own I S'pose.

4. Veldar

Veldar Is Post-Thrash?

When Mastodon played Aus' Troy didn't break out the Warwick or TC Electronic, it's nice to see his still copying my setup (Bass, Cab, Darkglass) :lol:

5. Mayhew

Mayhew SS.org Regular

For shit's and giggles I was watching the Crack The Skye track by track review and the band pretty much predicted exactly where they've been headed. Brann was talking about Oblivion being the first time he held a steady beat and enjoying it. He says he threw away his favourite fill like a child's security blanket. He states something like that making the same old album is like running in place and if you don't have anything new to say then why bother. That was the start of his drumming transition right there. Brent was talking about Quintessence being the first "fun" song they wrote even though it was dark and really enjoying that aspect and wanting to do more fun songs. I remember by the end of the CtS tour when they were playing the whole album that they were tired of it, especially Brent. The material was taxing to play live and before every show he was saying oh my god I have so much singing to do and it wasn't fun anymore. You could see where they were going with The Hunter. It definitely had more simple, fun songs that were more fun to play live and less draining than the longer proggier CtS stuff.

I love all of Mastodon's albums but enjoy from Blood Mountain onwards more so than the first two albums(CtS being my fav). I really enjoyed the more straight ahead approach of The Hunter as offering something different than what they'd done previously. I thought The Creature Lives was awesome too. That intro reminded me of The Ghost In The Machine by Pink Floyd(didn't like Floyd at all really until I heard that song) or the THX audio intro which I also love. BoooooooOOOOOWWWWOOOOOWWWWWeeeeeeeeewwwwwwww. I can't wait to pick up the album. After really getting into Twelve Foot Ninja the simpler, more powerful and emphasizing the melodies, hooks and harmonies approach to crafting songs is working for me.

6. ForThisGift

ForThisGift SS.org Regular

I thought based on the direction of The Hunter I wasn't going to dig this one, but I was pleasantly surprised. I think my least favorite part of the previous outing was with Brent's vocal direction. He just kind of started meandering in all his lines, and I don't personally think he has the voice for it. I think this time out he is a bit more subdued, or at least in control. He has kind of settled into a Mike Vennart range that, although more limited, is a more consistent listen.

I really like the diversity of Mastodon "sounds" on this album. I can hear little reminders of all the better parts of the albums leading up to this, including some Blood Mountain sludge.

7. Thorerges

Thorerges SS.org Regular

After the first 5 tracks I kinda lose interest. The Hunter was really cool but this one kinda loses it for me

8. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

Well, multiple listens later and I don't hate the album. Definitely don't love it, and won't have the entire thing on my ipod, but High Road/Chimes At Midnight/Asleep In The Deep/Diamonds In The Witch House are exceptional songs.

9. stevexc

stevexc Contributor

Listening through it again, it's still not catching me. High Road is solid, so's Tread Lightly. Chimes overstays its welcome - I literally cannot remember anything after the first "heavy" riff until that intro riff comes back. The end of Aunt Lisa is, and I'm dead serious, absofuckinglutely awesome. Brings back good memories of Faith No More.

Overall, a mediocre record in its own right. The Hunter had more going for it, just more memorable parts in general. Hell, Killer Be Killed had more going for it, at least Face Down gets stuck in my head.

Did really like Brann's drumming on Tread Lightly, I think it was, though.

Haven't had too much of a listen to the last two tracks... my commute ends about two minutes into Halloween, haha.

10. RustInPeace

RustInPeace SS.org Regular

So far I'm liking this way more than The Hunter!

11. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

This is a really polarizing album. :lol:

12. Mayhew

Mayhew SS.org Regular

Seems like every album since Remission is polarizing. You have people who like the new stuff and people who hate the new Mastodon and want them to make another Remission.

13. rifftrauma

rifftrauma Trapped in time... Contributor

Well if you don't like the new album...:lol:

[​IMG]

14. ghost_of_karelia

ghost_of_karelia Utrydd dei Svake

They've stated several times during their "making of" videos that the songs are becoming much more vocal-centric and they're concentrating on the vocals.

If you're listening to this album expecting it to have the mad drumming of Leviathan, the nutsy guitars of Blood Mountain or the abysmal vocals of Remission, of course you're going to dislike it. As the band changes, so too should your approach to them - otherwise why do you call yourself a fan of the band? Might be a better idea to call yourself a fan of Remission instead.

THIS TIME

THIS TIME

THINGS'LL WORK OUT JUST FI-I-INE

WE WON'T LET YOU SLIIIP

AWAAAAY

15. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn Play more music

I'm definitely a fan of Remissions and Leviathan, they were ....ing ace. Listened to this new one a few times seeing if it will grow on me, it didn't.

16. ghost_of_karelia

ghost_of_karelia Utrydd dei Svake

It sounds stupid but I'm actually really loving the song names on OMRTS. When I heard the album title it took me a few days to get my head around it but it's definitely grown on me. And hey, with names like Ember City and Diamond in the Witch House how can you not love them?

17. ErkerAsylum

ErkerAsylum SS.org Regular

I heard a lot of people say that they were not expecting to like this one. I am more than pleased with it. They are definitely very versatile. One of my favorite bands as well. I liked the hunter but Once More 'Round the sun blew it away for me. ....ing sick record. :hbang::hbang::hbang:

18. ErkerAsylum

ErkerAsylum SS.org Regular

19. Drowner

Drowner SS.org Regular

Personally, I think High Road is the worst song on the album.

20. Noisy Humbucker

Noisy Humbucker Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

Ha! That's what I got out of it, BE-AGGRESSIVE! B-E-AGGRESSIVE!