Master's Degree

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by NeubyWanKaneuby, Feb 24, 2015.

1. NeubyWanKaneuby

NeubyWanKaneuby SS.org Regular

Anyone pursuing higher education? I'm in an MBA program right now, and it's consuming my life in 12-week increments, with 1-week breaks in between.

I really just want to :shred: but I spend most of my time like :wallbash:

Ugh.

asher likes this.
  2. ferret

ferret Not worthy

I won't get a raise from getting a Masters, so I have declined to build further debt by pursuing one. I plan to die and be buried at my current company.

3. asher

asher So Did We

If I stay in the architecture track (likely), in the next year or two I go apply to get my Master's. It's basically required in the profession track.

4. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

PhD student here. Remember, you're investing in future dollars, so it's worth it.

5. crg123

crg123 SS.orgLocalArchitect

Ya this is 100% correct from my experience. All my friends who did not pursue a masters degree did not wind up getting a job in architecture, only construction management or MEP.

The Masters for architecture, in particular thesis is extremely intense. Be prepared for endless thinking about shit no one around you will care about. You pretty much have to eat and breath your area of study. In the end its really worthwhile and changes the way you think. It's pretty cool. Besides the professional brownie points you get its worth it for yourself.

6. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User

I'm getting my MS in Statistics with an emphasis on Applied Statistics and Business Analytics + SAS certifications. I may apply to PhD programs as I get closer to finishing (May 2016). I just wish the Time Series course wasn't only offered in the summer.

7. NeubyWanKaneuby

That's what my logical brain is telling me.

I'm only 3 terms from finishing, but I won't be able to take them consecutively, so I think that's the frustrating part. I just want to be finished.

8. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

I am in the middle of my master thesis now (60 ECTS so a whole yeah of thesis) in physics, I don't find it that stressing, I am doing pretty good i got alot of my results already so it will hopefully work out fine - I have been playing guitar for about 4 hours today and still gotten alot of done work with regards to data analysis.

In physics it is pretty much mandatory - you can become a highschool teacher (I think thats what it is called in english) with a bachelor degree (do you call that undergraduate?) but not much else. And yeah if I actually want to continue in science I will have to get a PhD degree which I might do - I really dunno.

Anyway I live in Denmark so education is 200% free, 200% as in I get money for studying :fawk: so yeah I will have no deebt when I finish

9. 07adams88

07adams88 SS.org Regular

Okay so, from my experience, screw mounting up debt.

I don't even have any college degrees and I make over 60k a year and work 6 months out of the year. Depending on how ambitious you are you can make over 120k a year in my job.

Everyone I know, with the exception of a few, that have any level of a degree are in worse situations than I. Hell most of them are working dead end jobs or are not even happy with where they are at.... Which brings me to another thing. Bartenders... WTF, bartenders actually make really good money.:scratch:

Sorry I know that last part was really random. It's just every time I start talking about career choices I wonder why I didn't just become a bartender. Music and alcohol sounds way funner than working on industrial machinery.

10. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

I have a Master's in Information Systems Security. I mean the never ending work just comes with the territory of school. I also worked full time when I was going, so I basically didn't have a life for years. I escaped to play hockey once a week and other than that it was work/school in a never ending cycle. I didn't play much guitar over that time. I thought the Master's was a little easier or at least more interesting, because I was actually doing things related to my career field as opposed to BS electives that I could give two ball hairs about. The part that sucked was my last month of classes when I quit my job and was done with school. I went from work/school all the time, to literally not having a thing to do when I woke up for a few months afterwards.

11. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I completed an MS some years ago. I then continued my studies, and took qualifier exams, but never completed a Ph.D., because I didn't like the Ph.D. programs I had available at the time. Looking back, I should have grabbed some sort of Ph.D. after putting in that much work, so I could have the title, if nothing else, but oh well.

My graduate studies opened up all sorts of cool stuff for me, although, at the moment, I think I could have wound up here either way, and I'm not really sure exactly what I did to end up here...:scratch:

Anyway, odds should be close to 95% that the advanced degree is worth it in the long run.

What's your thesis about? I wrote mine on the magnetoelectric effect in piezoelectric and magnetostrictive multilayered thick film composites.

12. NeubyWanKaneuby

It's not even that the classes are really hard, as much as they seem to be filled with a lot of busy work. Unfortunately I'm being forced to do them online, because my job moved out of state, and it's my only option.

I'm 8/14 classes done, and no other local university would transfer more than 2 classes. I wasn't about to start over.

I also have 2 kids, so what was reserved as my guitar time, has been reduced to homework time. I don't want to sacrifice my time with my kids if I can help it.

13. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

I guess you could kinda say mine is also in condensed matter physics. I am doing simulations and measurements on pyrolitic graphite (which is basicly graphene layers stacked with random orientation to each other) which is used for neutron scattering experiments. Basicly I am simulation a pretty advandced inelastic neutron scattering setup for use with "cold" neutrons, i.e. measure phonons and magnons in various crystaline materials.

The setup is already commisioned for being built, I am just testing if we will have problems from phonon contamination from the pyrolitic graphite which is used as a monochromator at pretty much all neutron scattering experiments, so what I do will also be applicabel to alot of other (future) setups :)

Yeah that was kind of the "short" version, but I hope it makes sense :lol:

14. Discoqueen

Discoqueen Dang tootin

I'm pretty much set on entering a Master's Program once I've completed my bachelors. I want to work as a professor so I can't be successful without atleast a Master's.

Cool thread, though, man. Imaginary rep for you! I like reading about peoples' thoughts and experiences with higher degree paths.

15. crg123

crg123 SS.orgLocalArchitect

You're very luckily. I racked up around $130k (Gotta love Boston schooling) in debt between federal and private loans during my masters and bachelors. I received practically no aid from my school despite having an EFC of 0000 for all my years going to school.

Good thing I love what I do, despite getting paid jack shit for it. Pretty much every two weeks of pay I get goes towards my loans even after refinancing the private loans with a credit union... oh well my 18 year old self decided to go for it and despite the crushing debt I'm happy. I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining.

16. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Pretty cool. I worked briefly with pyrolytic carbon for it's diamagnetic properties, but we made some really small pieces of it (our sensors were only ~10 mm square).

17. djyngwie

djyngwie SS.org Regular

As a Danish physicist turned high school teacher myself (Hi Rasmus :cool: ), a bachelor's isn't really enough to get tenure as a teacher. It might land you a temp job, but nothing more.

18. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

:ugh: Wichmann? :wavey: :lol:

19. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

4 classes out from finishing my MBA this July and I start my Doctorate in July as well. I am considering doing my thesis on Quantum Computing and applicable uses for encryption and data access.

20. Electric Wizard

Electric Wizard guy incognito

I finished my MS in urban planning last summer. On the topic of whether one should pursue an advanced degree, I'll say that you really need to know your field and if you're just finishing undergrad, a gap year is a great idea IMO.

So far I've ultimately found the degree to be a double-edged sword. It's a minimum requirement for many jobs I've looked at. At the same, there's a definite sense of being locked into a given career. I decided to pursue jobs in a different but related field, and though I'm qualified for them, I've had interviewers regard it with suspicion. I'm sure this varies a lot across subjects, but it's something to consider.