Mastering Songs -6.6db LUFS & LUFS but 0.2db TP after Dither?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by music rehabhd, May 31, 2019.

1. music rehabhd

music rehabhd SS.org Regular

I've been mixing and mastering songs for over 15yrs now and I've never ran into this.

My limiter ceiling is set to -0.7db and my song is rms & lufs at -6.6db which is usually the target range I like for progressive deathcore.

But when the Dither is engaged before I mix down it causes the song to hit 0.2db TP once in the song.

Is there anyway to get it back to -0.7db without lowering the songs rms & lufs?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks - Josh

Mastering Screen.jpg

2. ShadowsfeaR

ShadowsfeaR aka VigilSerus

You should ensure you have a limiter or plugin that has supersampling and/or true peak limiter and dither BEFORE those if you choose to use it. Dithering just adds noise to your export, so it makes sense that mastering with dithering at the end would push your ceiling past 0.

music rehabhd likes this.
  3. music rehabhd

music rehabhd SS.org Regular

Must have been a glitch or something during the rendering phase, I re-rendered the tracks and none of them showed any clipping. I mastered the tracks and still none of them showed any clipping. Here's a 30 sec sample of one of the tracks. Thanks for your help.

https://soundcloud.com/musicrehabhd/corruption-sample

4. oneblackened

oneblackened Tube Amp Dork

Intersample peaks. That's pretty normal with a limiter that doesn't do oversampling (just enable true peak limiting and you're good to go).