Master Effects Marauder, the Peavey Bandit / Supreme 160 pedal!

Prayfordarkness

ss.org Regular
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone is familiar with Master Effects Pedals? I just found out about them this year, they are based out of the city where I live, and I've been blown away by some of the pedals they're making. The first one that hooked me was the "Martyr", which is a Marshall Valvestate 8100 preamp circuit (I've compared it to my actual 8100 head, and it's perfect. In fact, most people on the video I made even claim to like the pedal more than the real amp).
Now, they have the "Marauder", which is the preamp circuit from the old Blue-Stripe Bandit and Supreme 160 amps. The Supreme 160 was my first real amp as a kid, and I loved that thing so much! I don't have it anymore, but I do still have a blue-stripe Bandit 112, and this pedal totally nails it as well. I just made a video with the Marauder if you'd like to hear what it can do. (There's a full mix track that I wrote for the demo that starts at 1:10, if you want to skip the talking...)

Cheers!

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone is familiar with Master Effects Pedals? I just found out about them this year, they are based out of the city where I live, and I've been blown away by some of the pedals they're making. The first one that hooked me was the "Martyr", which is a Marshall Valvestate 8100 preamp circuit (I've compared it to my actual 8100 head, and it's perfect. In fact, most people on the video I made even claim to like the pedal more than the real amp).
Now, they have the "Marauder", which is the preamp circuit from the old Blue-Stripe Bandit and Supreme 160 amps. The Supreme 160 was my first real amp as a kid, and I loved that thing so much! I don't have it anymore, but I do still have a blue-stripe Bandit 112, and this pedal totally nails it as well. I just made a video with the Marauder if you'd like to hear what it can do. (There's a full mix track that I wrote for the demo that starts at 1:10, if you want to skip the talking...)

Cheers!

Don't mind the pedal but that Schecter is pretty cool!

Gmork

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey gord. I did a video on his screaming eagle a year or so back.
It sounded great, easily liked it more than my rev g3 and g4 for example. Lots of tone options, though some were just too subtle (like the bright switch on yours) and id prefer a simplified version of the screaming eagle, but thats subjective really.
Its based off the engl e530 which i now actually own these days. Id say it gets close to the e530 tone, def has an engl thing going on. It had a good rich 3d sound full of harmonics. Was not flat and sterile the way some lesser dist/preamp pedals are. Build quality felt perfectly solid. Quality stuff!

I also did a vid on his "gain of thrones" pedal based on the classic tc pre. If you or anyone else cares to check em out ill link my vids at the bottom.

That marauder sounds great! Love the grain! Subbed btw

Prayfordarkness

ss.org Regular
Reaction score
@Emperoff Thanks, the Mach 7 is actually an insanely nice guitar! I'm super in love with it, for sure!

@akinari Thant's cool man, thanks!! I actually did a couple of different ones with that pedal... I like it a lot!

@Gmork Thanks man, and great job on the videos, I subbed :) Killer playing!
I used to own an e530, and I can hear that Engl sound in the pedal, for sure. Very cool. Also, I actually have one of the Game of Tones pedals as well, and I love that one too!

ATRguitar91

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Killer demo! Got a sub from me, love the Martyr video as well. You really put this thing through the paces and showed off how much variety the Supreme preamp has. I've been trying to abstain from gear purchases after getting my JPX7, but I'm not sure I'll be able to pass this one up.

The Supreme 160 is one of my all time favorite tones and mine isn't working right now. I spend most of the time playing through preamp pedals anyways, and this would be an excellent addition to the herd. Running this in my stereo with my SNK VHD (Ampeg VH140c) would be solid state death metal perfection.

Spinedriver

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Master Effects is almost like a Canadian version of AMT. I'm sure at some point down the road I'll probably get something of theirs but for the moment, I literally don't have room for one... lol..

Gmork

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Being a huge peavey fanboy (especially the older stuff) ive had my eye on these, its nice to hear a good demo to know theyre legit.. Besides... you know... having to now be forced to spend the money lol.
Think ill have to get ne that super festival as well as... Well... all of them i suppose lol.

Prayfordarkness

ss.org Regular
Reaction score
@HeHasTheJazzHands I had no idea that Loudness used the Supreme 160, that's cool!

@ATRguitar91 Thanks a lot! I definitely recommend it fully, it absolutely nails the Supreme 160 tone, and all the variety that that amp offered (aside from the clean channel, of course)

jclogston

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just discovered these pedals. Love the sound of the marauder and the x88r. Any experience with the x88r?

Are these actual preamps meaning I plug directly into a power amp (I have an AMT tube cake) and then into a cab? Or in front of an amp?

ATRguitar91

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just got my Master Effects Marauder yesterday and it is amazing! It's been a while since I've been able to fire up my Peavey Supreme 160 (it's broken), but this thing is solid state death metal perfection.

I've run it into both IRs and my power amp/cab, it definitely shines through the amp and cab most. Just like the original, it's pretty versatile with how powerful the EQ is, and I'm really looking forward to running in stereo with SNK VHD.

Now I need to figure out what to do with my busted Peavey Supreme 160. There's no techs around here, I don't think I can fix it, and it'd cost more to fix it than just buying another. I guess I'll see if someone wants to take it off my hands and fix it themselves.

zilla

Grand Poobah
Reaction score
I just discovered these pedals. Love the sound of the marauder and the x88r. Any experience with the x88r?

Are these actual preamps meaning I plug directly into a power amp (I have an AMT tube cake) and then into a cab? Or in front of an amp?

they were intended to be used in front of an amp like a distortion pedal but you can definitely use them straight into a power amp or fx loop return.