MASSIVE studio upgrade...! Hope to have a finished track by this weekend :)

rob_l

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
No acoustic treatments in the room? Can I ask why? You hardly see any recording setup that doesnt have foam or something on the walls.

The room has been ARC'ed and RTA analyzed - Treating a room by just throwing up sonoflats wasnt the route I wanted to take on the new setup. having run the ARC system and the RTA I know exactly how many sono-flat panels and baffles I need, as well bass traps and sono-columns all from Auralex - And more importantly - where - I need to install them.

Not to mention that I want to paint the walls something other than beige. After paint this weeked I have a "map" for how to treat every inch of the room. At the moment its a charcoal Auralex SFS based system.

The next point Ill be addressing will be adding wood floors up there. :)

DomitianX

Oxygen Converter
Reaction score
Can I ask what you do for a living? Thats a serious setup. Is it a working rig or just home studio project work?

bulb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
wow rob, thats phenomenal, congrats, i bet you will have a ton of fun with all that stuff!

Joeywilson

Banned
Reaction score
you have caused so much pain, can I neg rep for this?

naaawwww, but for reals. I `m so jealous.

SomeChump

Just a Chump
Reaction score
Apparently he does something highly Illegal for this money lmfao. Or he just took out a huge fucking loan, and will go to jail soon. haha.

matt g

Reaction score
your home setup is BANGin...i would definitely do a session at yours. Talk about tube amps.
Btw i see you have the new smaller behringer truths stacked on top of the old ones, I need some new monitors around their price range and i've been looking at them for a while. How do they sound, would they work as an only pair of monitors for a cheap tiny home setup?

leandroab

Stay Negative™
Reaction score
Now, you just need a fridge, toilet, a door leading outside, and I would never leave this room... Never :lol:

Anyways, FUCK! FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUUCK!!!!!!!! OMG! AaAAAA!
AAAAAAAAA!
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh
:erk:

*heart attack*

madreteresa.jpg

Donate to the needy. ME!!!

tr0n

djent n00b
Reaction score
That must've cost an absolute fortune!

EDIT: Was about to ask do you have any sound insulation and acoustic treatment but just saw the list.

Do you have any booths or enclosures for amps or vocalists? Just out of interest.

Xiphos68

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Is this a public studio or a private studio?
It looks massive and great either way. Just curious?

rob_l

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
^ Private - Still, for all intents a "home studio". But open for outside projects soon, very soon. :) Should have a website up for it any day. :hbang:

tr0n - I have a "live room" with the same acoustic treatments i used in the studio - In it are all my amps/cabs and a fully mic'd kit (RE20 outside the res. kick head, D112 inside, 2x57s on the snare and picc., e604s on all 5 toms, Perception 300 or MXL69m tube mics for over heads, JoeMeek JM27 pencils on hats and snare) - Since I took the pics I've added the SonoColumns, some wedgies and more Flats to the live-room. To get pristine signal from one end of the house to the other I use a USA ProCo 16ch./4 return drop snake up the stairs to the Mic-In panels/Pres.

Here are some updated pics - I FINALLY got one of the first parts of the "big order" which, was one of the least $ - The DCS preamp from Universal. They shipped it to a music shop in Tenn. instead of SweetWater. Since I've been drooling over the damn thing forever, and it's discontinued, I'm really glad that the other shop was honest - lol. To get a preamp with the INSANE monitoring and cue features this one has, for $1k, from UA is ridiculous and I would have been piiissssed if they futz'ed it up. :D

The DCS is SWEET because the controller/mini mixer is connected to the preamp via CAT5 and can be up to 300 ft away.... Not to mention, it's a UA. :agreed:

Here's the final, final pics of the studio... :D - ess treated

Controller - (reminds me of the Otari paddle controllers for some reason)
20.jpg

The preamps themselves - over 15 TRS connectors on this for monitoring and every function conceivable! lol
22.jpg

The Behringers, Mackies and now Genelec 8020s give me a nice wide spectrum. The smaller Truths are not too bad at all. And have pretty decent tuning controls as long as you ARC the room first.

On a pointless side note - I caved and got a BlueBird and a Rode NT1A yesterday - I traded several korean guitars that were in closets and got about 1800 for em and grabbed a Robot Explorer (closeout - 999!!!) and these 2 mics.... Stoked to try the mics thru the Avalon and Toft this weekend. :wavey:

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
looking great Rob, but I've got a question as far as your amps go.
I noticed no 5150, no Mesa Rectos or Mark series amps either.
Are those on the 'todo" list or do you not have any intentions of getting those amps in there?
I would think a 5150 and a Recto would be standard stuio "fare" these days.
Just wondering

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
...someday i'll also have a basement just like that

...someday :(