Massive new mix with real drums!!!

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Raindrop Collector, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Raindrop Collector

Raindrop Collector SS.org Regular

What's up SSO'ers,

So it's been a while since I've posted on here, mainly because I've started an official band for what used to be my solo project and I've been putting together a pretty ambitious first effort together. Currently we are on the tail-end of the writing phase, but a couple of days ago we recorded a snippet of a song that I would love to get feedback on.

https://soundcloud.com/raindropcollector/raindrop-collector-teaser-1

This is currently what I would consider to by my best sounding mix to-date, and will be the sort of sound I'd want for an album. These forums have helped me an insurmountable amount, and I do hope you guys have some good feedback for me as I want this to sound as good as possible.

Also! If you liked what you heard feel free to follow us on our band page :)

https://facebook.com/RaindropCollector/

2. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

Fuckin' a man, finally drums that don't sound like a machine gun. Loving the mix overall... it has a very natural feel. My favorite part of the whole mix is the snare drums. My least favorite part is the kick drums... I think it needs some more EQ work and to be raised 1-2 db. The cymbals are super crisp without being harsh. The guitar tone sounds good, and I love the wah solo. The bass guitar could use some more work in the 800hz-2k range; its inaudible on the headphones I'm listening on right now. There weren't enough vocals for me to make any recommendations or suggestions there.

Overall this is really cool, and again, I reallllly love the drums!

3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I could nitpick, but realistically, it's good stuff. I like it. :yesway:

4. Raindrop Collector

Dude, thanks so much; your comments were incredibly helpful and definitely addressed the weakest points (and elements I spent the least amount of time on) in the mix.
    The kick drum is a new mic I picked up- Shure beta91A, and while I absolutely love how much attack and click you get out of it naturally, I'm still figuring it out in terms of some equalization that will play nice with it, I'll definitely take a look at it though!
    The bass was kinda thrown together, and I'm using a really half-assed amp sim to take care of the grind. For the actual album I'll be micing up an amp for the bass grit just as I do with the guitars, so hopefully that will take care of the weakpoints there.
    The snare tone is 100% the best snare tone I've ever captured without any reinforcement tricks. It's all natural, some light eq and compression. I think the secret was my drummer brought in his tama SLP, which is a 13x7 wood snare. Once we found a good tuning we liked, the thing just sung. Again, thank you!
    Thanks dude! If you do like our sound, feel free to follow us on fb or sc, as we will be releasing this plus 10 more songs all over the musical spectrum :)

5. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

^ Done :yesway:

6. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

Wow, and no samples blended? That's absolutely amazing. Can you fill me in on the mics you used for the snare? 2 SM57's for the top and bottom?

7. Raindrop Collector

Cheers man, we absolutely appreciate it! We will be posting updates every week or so, hopefully it will give you a good look as to how genre-bendy we will be :)

Nope, no sample blending at all! The only plugs on it were eq, comp, and slight reverb. No gates!
    The snare mic I use is an Audix i5, and I only used a snare top on this session for convenience, and because it was kinda a scratch track session lol. I love it because it has a really great off-axis response, so the hihat bleed isnt as apparent( and if it's there it doesn't f*** up the subsequent processing lineup). There's also some contribution from the overheads: I used Oktavas MC012's, spaced pair... though I cut out a fair amount of low and low-midrange on that bus

schwiz likes this.
  8. aqa

aqa SS.org Regular

Awesome mix, love the feeling.

As pointed before, you can add a little presence to the guitars, the kick for me sounds fine but you can lift a bit in the +7k area for extra click. Seems the drums needs a bit more of control in dynamics, maybe light clipping can help

9. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoil Enthusiast

It strikes me as a bit boxy overall, there's a lot of action in the low mids/mids. The solo was also a little piercing, doesn't really blend into the rest of the song. I think the solo might be unnecessarily loud, but overall it could use a little notching on the nastiest frequencies. Wahs are always a bitch to mix. I think the whole thing could mastered a little differently to solve all these things, though I think a little more definition in the kicks would also be good. Both compression and some extra presence would probably serve them well. I also don't hear a whole lot of sub in the mix, but I guess that's an aesthetic choice.

10. Raindrop Collector

Cheers man, thanks for the comments! I can definitely see what you're saying about the drum dynamics, I really tried not to overly squash them, but the results are you can really hear the inconsistencies in the hits. That and, I completely forgot about mixing the toms in :| lol

I Appreciate ! yes I probably should have mentioned that this track is in no way-shape-or form mastered: I basically threw a limited across it for some GR as that was it. for the final go I will most likely be looking for a professional to do it, but I think proper mastering would address most of the things you mentioned. I agree with you that the solo is a bit pushed up in the mix; I think that's because it needs a compressor strapped on it to even out the random resonances caused by the wah without burying the rest of it. So the way I mix stuff I tend to have bass occupy the sub fq, and kick a little higher than the bass in the fq spectrum. Overall I think the boxiness is an aesthetic choice due to my guitar tone, but I definitely think addressing it would be worthwhile.

11. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoil Enthusiast

I don't think the boxiness I'm hearing is from the guitar specifically. If you make the link downloadable I could do a quick master and show you what I mean, so you can directly compare and see if you agree or not.

12. Raindrop Collector

Hey I appreciate it! I'm unfortunately not in a place to do that, and aside from that any mastering would kinda be pointless as the track will be already crushed up pretty good from the compression I applied to it, as well as the compression on SC.
    I would still really appreciate it if you could describe where you were hearing it in terms of frequency ranges, or mix elements, if at all possible :) The balance is not exactly where I'd like it, I typically spend a couple of weeks on a mix; this mix set me back an hour tops lol