Marty Friedman on sweep picking

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Stuck_in_a_dream, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

He probably doesn't, though. He just knows it's a usable fretboard shape and probably doesn't even remember where he got the idea from.

2. Spaced Out Ace

He did the video and GW wrote the BCPT piece...

3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

I found it hilarious how he flicked the string with his finger at 3:39. :lol:

Also, his quote at 4:22

Already ahead of you. :rofl:

4. Mayhew

Mayhew SS.org Regular

Not gonna lie. The first video I ever saw of Marty I thought, wow this guy with cerebral palsy sure can play but it's hard to watch. I was even more dumbfounded when I found out he's not handicapped and he plays like that on purpose.

xCaptainx likes this.
  5. Kwirk

Kwirk The Wrong Advices

Check him out talking about scales and how to solo over chords. He definitely knows what he's doing.

6. drgordonfreeman

drgordonfreeman On vacation

I absolutely laughed out loud when, in reference to up-and-down sweeps, he said, "Who told you that was happening?! Definitely your girlfriend did not tell you that was happening!"

Besides being funny, there's some truth there.

7. SKoG

SKoG SS.org Regular

I have a lot of respect for Marty, and I 100% see where he's coming from trying to emphasize what he's teaching here... but to go out of his way like he is here and in some other recent interviews and columns trying to insist that he has no idea what lick he just played, what scales and notes he plays, or what these techniques are called seems a kinda over-the-top and disingenuous. Jason Becker is probably rolling his eyes at this.

8. Spaced Out Ace

That's not a recent attitude of Marty's though. He does this in a Guitar World book with a compilation of different lessons and such and I think the particular lesson with him is from post Youthanasia era Megadeth.

He doesn't know what he's doing to the extent of John Petrucci. He doesn't just go "Oh, that's a Lydian whatever scale over a D5 chord which gives it a DMaj b7#11 tonality" or whatever.

9. pushpull7

pushpull7 Banned

I enjoyed that thank you.

but I do enjoy certain peoples sweep picking as well.

10. Stuck_in_a_dream

Stuck_in_a_dream SS.org Regular

As Spaced Out Ace just said, to paraphrase, I do believe Marty knows a lot of theory but at the same time I also believe he's completely honest in saying he doesn't know what he just played. He doesn't think theory when improvising. He can of course later on 'Decipher' what he's done and know the theory enough to communicate with his band mates.

To him theory is just means to an end, but to improvise, it's like a 2nd nature, right brain kind of skill that he developed by actually improvising musical ideas not just scales up and down.

11. Kwirk

Kwirk The Wrong Advices

I wouldn't be surprised if he did to be quite honest. And anyway, he says the "I don't even know what I just did" thing after he does a major 1 3 5 sweep, which he used extensively in Cacophony stuff. He knows damn well what he's doing, damnit. Haha.

12. Spaced Out Ace

He's more a sounds and shapes kinda guy and less a scales and chords sort. He's never struck me as the sort that really thinks about why it works like John Petrucci, and knows how to make outside notes work, such as not emphasizing outside notes or using them on a downbeat.

That said, he'll play around a key tone over a chord to build tension and then hit it just before the it goes to the next key tone to release the tension. That's about the only instance where he seems to deliberately choose his notes over a certain chords.

However, let's be honest... what does it matter?

13. Darknut

Darknut SS.org Regular

I wonder what jeff loomis would think of this vid, lol. *cough* psalm of lydia *cough*

14. Spaced Out Ace

...Speaking of Jeff Loomis, I remember him mentioning Gypsy Jazz. I should try adding some Django Reinhardt ideas to my playing. I think that mixed with BB's box pattern ideas could be interesting.

15. MatthewLeisher

MatthewLeisher Ghostmaker

The lick he plays at 5:24 sounds like a slot machine! :lol:

16. GhostHost

GhostHost SS.org Regular

Its a cool lesson and all, but, I honestly think he was acting kind of douchey. I get his point and understand if the technique doesn't appeal to him, but it seems like because he doesn't like it, he thinks no one should.

17. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

Marty Friedman is not humble about his opinion about music theory. I have a "Guitar for the Practicing Musician" magazine from the 90's in which the editors asked several professional guitars players if going to music school is beneficial for success. Most of the guys, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Alex Skolnick, John Christ (ex-Danzig guitarist who went for Jazz study) all agreed that going to music school is a good thing. Marty was the only person in the group who disagreed. He said something along the lines of, "you can't go to school to learn/play rock music. Rock comes from your groin area".

Being a huge fan of Marty Friedman's playing and guitar magazine collector/reader, it's pretty rare that I don't read something in which Marty says that he stays away from music theory. :cool:

18. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Seeing his right hand is always hurting me just by looking. I don't know how he came to that posture.

19. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

It almost looks like he learned guitar while laying back on a couch or a bed. :lol:

20. Spaced Out Ace

Pretty sure he was self taught.