Marshall JVM410H! This amp is insane!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Guitarjon, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

I got a used JVM410H a couple of weeks ago but before I posted my thoughts I wanted to have spent some time with it. Mine is an older model from the end of 2007. It has recently been serviced and new JJ tubes have been put in. When I turned on the amp for the first time I did notice something quirky: when I press the power button sometimes the power light and other lights flicker for a second before staying on. Nothing seems wrong with the amp but I figured I'd mention it anyway.

So this amp has a lot to offer tonally with it's 4 channels and 3 modes per channel! That's one of the reasons why I was so attracted to this amp. I also feel like this probably is the most modern Marshall amp in terms of high gain sounds. Since I'm mainly a rock/metal player I thought it would be right up my alley! This amp does not disappoint!

The strong suits of this amp in my opinion are the OD1 and OD2 channels. Those channels alone give this amp a huge range of tones from classic to SUPER high gain and I mean SUPER haha. On the red modes with the gain at a quarter the amp has plenty of gain. It does sound good though so the red modes definitely are useful.

The clean and crunch tones are really nice too but perhaps not as nice as some other Marshall amps. I feel like the clean channel is a little too 'dry' for my tastes and also with the crunch channel I kind of miss that JCM800 chime, or brightness. One of the benefits of this however is that 1. those 2 channels work very well with single coils and 2. those channels work very well with pedals! So I'm definitely not knocking those 2 channels but they sound a little bit different than I was expecting. It could change if I put some different tubes in there but I haven't had the time to try that yet. For now this will do just fine!

The OD1 and OD2 channels are so tight on the orange and red modes that tube-screamers and boosts are rarely needed, even with extended range guitars and low tunings! The green modes sound great with a boost though. With all the controls in the middle I feel like OD1 orange is where the sweetspot is for me. It reminds me a little bit of how I think a Friedman HBE sounds but a little more open and Marshally. Just perfect! This mode/channel alone makes this amp worth it for me.

I really LOVE the resonance control along with the presence of course. Every amp in the world could benefit from those controls...

Anyway, I made an in-depth demo to put this amp through it's paces. I used 15 different guitars and I go through each channel and mode in various styles. I hope you enjoy!

Who else owns one? How do you like to use it? Which channels/modes are your favorites? Any tips on getting some killer tones that you like? :)

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

This is another amp I felt the Axe didn't do justice.

Guitarjon likes this.
  3. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Yeah, I compared it to my Axe Fx III and it definitely doesn't sound or feel the same.... I'm probably going to do a comparison soon.

4. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

A bit scooped than the conventional JCM right? They are not as gnarly in the mids, and they sound smoother but with loads more gain.

The Satriani JVM is a bit closer. It seems like Cliff updated all the amps but this.

Guitarjon likes this.
  5. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

I think that's accurate. The JVM does sound a little more refined overall and less raw. The OD channels are much tighter than on my JCM2000 but my JCM800 SC20H is definitely brighter than my JVM.

6. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Lets be brutally honest - the Axe fx is great but if we are actually comparing how close it is to the amps its modelling - its quite far away.

I would say of the amps ive owned, experienced or heard, none of them really felt or sounded the same on my Ax8 before i sold it.
    Covers loads of ground and can sound amazing if you are guna sit and dig deep. But in terms of cloning sounds i would say its poor.

StevenC, Guitarjon and WarMachine like this.
  7. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

I agree with this, at least in the modeling sense (considering i've never had the chance to play on any AxeFx variant). Not to derail, but no matter how close we get things sounding to the real thing, there's always that "x-factor" that you can't retain/bottle/etc. I've come to the realization that as long as you can get a tone that you happy with in a studio, be it the real deal or modelling and the same can be said about playing live, that if you are happy with the tones that's all that matters. Basically we are so particular on our sounds that we are going to beat ourselves up until we get the "same" tones from the modellers that we do the real thing. When in reality if it sounds good live, it sounds good. No one is going to care what we are using, long as the job gets done.

/rant :cond::lol:

XPT707FX, Spinedriver and Guitarjon like this.
  8. HeHasTheJazzHands

Would be nice. Like, I played a JVM in person and it impressed the shit out of me how great it sounded. Aggressive, bright, tight. Damn good.

It was one of the first models I tried in the AX8 and was like... Wtf. :lol:

lewis and Guitarjon like this.
  9. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 Tropospheric Holocenian Contributor

I have seen 410s go for under a k. Seems like a hell of a lot of amp for the money. So tempting...

Guitarjon likes this.
  10. HeHasTheJazzHands

It's one of those Marshalls everyone should try IMO. It's a great, underrated all-rounder.

Seabeast2000 and Guitarjon like this.
  11. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I've only been able to play one in a store at low volumes, but I was able to tell it had a ton of variety available. Definitely wouldn't mind grabbing one if I can find the right deal.

As always, great video. Really did the amp some justice showing off all the modes in different styles :yesway:

Guitarjon likes this.
  12. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

I would even prefer a JVM 410 to a Friedman BE100. No joke. It may not sound as refined as the BE, but it has no problem bringing the Thrash.

13. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

That's just it. Inspiration is what it is no matter if it comes from a VHT Pitbull CL or a Peavey Bandit when you're playing at home or at band practice.
    Where it can get a little messy is when you either play live or perhaps go into a studio and either the rig you have might not be loud enough or perhaps it just doesn't mesh with the rest of the band.
    Other than that though, there are some people who can get incredible tones out of a Mooer GE200 and others who can make an Axe III sound absolutely horrible. The best anyone can do really, is to just check out demos of different amps/pedals/processors and whichever ones catch your ear, perhaps that might be the one you should be looking into getting.

XPT707FX and WarMachine like this.
  14. SSK0909

SSK0909 SS.org Regular

In defense of the axefx/modellers, tube amps are "famous" for their inconsistent sound and feel.Tube changes, bias settings, components, age of tubes, romm temperature and humidity and lots of other stuff all ibfluence them. Theres a reason why a lot of artists have a favourite amp that sounds just a little better than its similar models. The modeling might be spot on compared to one particular model, but sound different from another :)

Anyways. The JVM's kick ass. Theyre somewhat underrated compared to the older Marshalls.

Guitarjon and budda like this.
  15. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

About the modeler discussion (which is an interesting topic imho so I don't mind to indulge):

I guess it all depends on your situation. If you are like how I used to be a few years ago and solely relying on modelers you might be super content with the sounds you're getting. I used an Axe Fx and some plugins here and there for years. I didn't have any tube amps to compare it against so as far as I could tell it sounded 'a 100% like a real amp'. I hadn't owned any tube amps for years so I just kind of forgot how it was to work with a real amp. It worked for me then but in hindsight I do think my guitar tones have drastically improved since going back to using tube amps. Now, don't get me wrong, I love modeling, especially Helix (Native) because for some reason I can get it to sound the closest to my real amps. I use it alongside my amps often and it just works!

Then last year or so a friend said I had to try tube amps again and after a while I gave in and bought an amp. This experience of using a tube amp was so refreshing for me after all those years without playing a tube amp. It all sounded better and I didn't have to have any doubts about the amp sounding 'like the real thing' because I obviously knew this was the real thing. I enjoyed it so much that I had a gasplosion and I heavily got into buying all sorts of tube amps. Just to use on my channel and jam through. I now realise how much more fun it is for me to play through real amps. Also, we shouldn't forget where the modeling came from. It all started with the tube amps and the people who built them. We shouldn't forget that without those people's creations modeling wouldn't even exist.

So modeling has it's place and I'm a fan of it but I guess my opinion is that we should acknowledge that it wouldn't be there if it were for tube amps and their creators. I think we need to support that community for the sake of the future of guitar tones. Every guitarist should have one real tube amp, just to experience how that is and to see the differences more clearly between the real thing and an emulation. It will help you to make better guitar tones because if you know how a real amp reacts you'll also know how to tweak your modeler to sound more like the real thing. Don't go crazy like me though as I currently have 26 amps........

Sorry for the rant! lol

Haha yeah, the Axe Fx's models sound quite artificial in the mids. It doesn't sound horrible but it does not sound like the amp.

Do it!! Here in my country they go for about 750 used. I got mine for 700. Not bad at all!

Same!

16. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

Exactly. I said almost the same thing a while back in a similar discussion. If not for the tube amps that we all know and love, there wouldn't be anything to "model" after. :yesway:

lewis and Guitarjon like this.
  17. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

With the modeler discussion it's always important to mention how you are listening to it. I would expect a JVM though a loadbox into cabinet sims to sound very much the same as JVM model on the Axe-Fx if the amp sim isn't totally off for some reason. When I had a Fryette PS2 I tried my Bogner with a setup like this and did not feel it did a significantly better job than just using digital for direct recording purposes, through cab sims and studio monitors or headphones.

Likewise I haven't noticed a significant difference running digital preamps from my Helix into my Bogner's poweramp. While the models were not exact to the preamps in the amp, they sounded very similar. The Bogner poweramp made all of the preamp models feel pretty much the same to play so that's an important component too.

A JVM through a guitar cab will sound vastly different from running a modeler through a FRFR setup. I think the best modelers do the amp sims so well that I would not care but there is still room for improvements on the cab front. Running through a poweramp and guitar cab will still introduce some extra factors even if you use something pretty neutral sounding like the Fryette PS2's poweramp.

Guitarjon likes this.
  18. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

Still can't decide if I want one of these or the HJS

Guitarjon likes this.
  19. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

It's cool that the JS has the noise gates but I do think the overall voicing of the amp is a little bit more vintage. The 410H has a very tight sound on the high gain modes, just perfect for metal. For most applications no boost is needed at all. I expect that with the JS it could benefit from a boost. In other words: for metal 410H, for leads and more vintage tones the JS. That doesn't mean that the 410H can't handle vintage tones, in fact it does that very well also!

20. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 Tropospheric Holocenian Contributor

Has anyone got experience with the 210H? Any big difference besides 2 less channels?

Guitarjon likes this.