Marshall Debate/War!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
seriously... other than the JCM2000 KK, does Marshall make an amp that has massive tone for brutal death metal? im not talking about having to run a distortion pedal through the clean channel and an od in the front and a tubescreamer in the fx loop. im talking about a marshall that will rip your face off with nasty low end crunch attack and ear bleeding pinch harmonics. im curious. i dont even think the kerry king edition is all that. i have an open mind... would like to be proven wrong. i know my buddies for obituary used the old jcm800's back in the day. im talking about a marshall thats fairly new. thanx

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
nile13.jpg

Seriously...

JCM2000

JVM series...

JCM800 + Boost

Shit even the 8100!

Promit

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The JVM can do it and the Valvestates can do it. JCM or DSL can probably do it IF you boost the amp, but they're weak without the boost. (It's not that they lack gain, but the structure is all wrong.)

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
2203KK just has the boost built-in (and very un-tweakable if I may add), as opposed to having it outboard/in-front.

jcm-900-slx has an extra tube-gain stage also, and can still be boosted out front. (cheap)

I'd go with a JVM210 if you have the cash, and the jcm2000 or even the new DSL if it's a tighter budget.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If Marshall made anything similar to the Dual Rectifier, it would either be the JVM210 or 410. Those would do brutal metal no problem.

There's also the 6100, which was pretty much the JVM of the '90s.

Not a big fan of the DSLs for tight metal sounds, though.

On a budget, the old 8100s or VS100s will do it no problem. Listen to the first 2 Static-X records and the first Meshuggah album.

Tysonimmortal

Beers and Gear
Reaction score
Any of them can do it with a boost and EQ pedal in the loop. I've heard the JVM's have a lot of tube failure issues, though. Something to consider.

karjim

Set the World Afire
Reaction score
And JVM Satch is paradise...like the JSX from XXX
A real sound openned and singing harmonics

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
Can an Egnater Vengeance pull of a JVM tone? Would be nice since the Egnater is 5 times cheaper :hbang:

Well, considering the JVM has like 1,000,000 tones inside of it, yes and no :lol:

The vengeance can get pretty grindy and metally IF you use bright speakers such as GT12-75s. It isn't made to be an old Ampeg VH140 or dual rec; It has a lot more mids and a bit of a smoother distortion than that, but I've been very happy with the heavy tones I can get from it

minorseventh

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ive said it 100 times... the JVM 410h is not an amp. its a weapon.
if one cannot get brutal on a JVM, then that person should quit trying and buy a ukelele and learn to whistle jaunty tones for douchebags that drink microbrews.
it also happens to excel at blues tones, classic rock, and dare I say, theres even some warm clean jazz tones hiding in there. PLUS, its hands down the best amp at bedroom volumes if thats what youre into.

I have a few really cool amps, and a Kemper, but Ill never sell my JVM.

danresn

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
JVM will get you there really quickly. It's not death metal by any means but Sylosis's Edge of the Earth was recorded using orange mode of channel 3 on a JVM. Sounds pretty aggressive to me.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
And JVM Satch is paradise...like the JSX from XXX
A real sound openned and singing harmonics

I wouldn't use the JS JVM for brutal death metal. Unlike the JSX, the JVM JS seems too smooth and too flubby for what he wants.

chopeth85

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

End of the thread haha. Ive got a jvm1 and owned a jvm 205 and yeah...one of the most aggresive and brutal tones nowadays !

Local Astronaut
Reaction score
Not a Marshall by at all, but the JVM is a great amp.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
JVM will get you there really quickly. It's not death metal by any means but Sylosis's Edge of the Earth was recorded using orange mode of channel 3 on a JVM. Sounds pretty aggressive to me.

A JVM can get death metal pretty easily. One of the biggest complains I've seen with the JVM, related to the OD channels, is that they sound too modern and have way too much gain. :lol:

Omura

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I got crushing tone from a jcm800 into a marshall v30 loaded 212 and a single coil telecaster. Hit your strings HARD and crushing tone will ensue from even mid-gain settings. Hit them like a wimp and it will sound wimpy. I loved that tone I got in store. Can't justify a jcm800 though..

Status
Not open for further replies.