Maple fretboard, bolt on neck. Need your knowledge

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by OmegaSlayer, Apr 16, 2021.

1. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

I kind of set my head in trying to keep my GAS in check, or at least not getting overly excited over anything that more or less I already own, spec wise

While on the semihollow and Les Paul-ish guitar I pretty much set my head on the PRS Zach Myers, I still can't make my head on the "guitar with maple fretboard" so I need some suggestion from you

I'll give you some bullet points so that you can help me better

-Budget would be no more than € 450-500, I'm totally ok with second hand instruments
    -Can be either a Tele or Strat shape
    -I'm very agnostic with brands (Charvel, Jackson, Fender, whatever is ok)
    -Can have whatever bridge
    -Can have any kind of shape and size of the neck (but I would prefer it satin)

I read that Fender is doing a great job quality-wise even with the less expensive lines and in the end what I look forward is a solid instrument that has that kind of tonality/voice I'm looking for (even if Tele and Strats are way different, they're far away from the shred-machines I have purchased so far)

Obviously I would like to put my hands on better quality instruments but my budget would say no at the moment, but I'm also open to an eventual suggestion "you better try to save more, take your time and buy a proper one because it makes the difference"

2. Robstonin

Robstonin SS.org Regular

I have no idea what the used guitar market is like in Italy but if you're patient and okay with nicks and dings you might find an early 2000s RG550/RG1550 in that price range. Other options could be a MIJ DK2M from roughly the same era, or a MIM Fender or CV Squier as far as non shredder guitars are concerned.

EDIT: re-read your post and I'm not sure whether or not you're interested in shredder type guitars so I'm leaving my message as it was originally

Wolfhorsky and OmegaSlayer like this.
  3. OmegaSlayer

Thanks, I'm looking for a non shred, even if a MIJ RG550 is something to always keep in consideration, but at least here in Italy people has quite acknowledge the quality of those and their price has risen considerably, even for the non pristine ones

But going to the latter part of your reply, MIM Fender and CV Squier are good instruments?
    I have zero experience with those, and it doesn't help that besides this peculiar period, I have never been the guy that goes in a guitar store and asks to try some guitars unless is 100% sure to buy 1 guitar in that exact store

4. Robstonin

Robstonin SS.org Regular

All of the MIM Strats or Teles I've played were solid, workhorse type instruments. Not the fanciest but truly dependable, good sounding guitars. I actually borrowed a friend's 96 Strat and 08 Baja Tele for long periods of time and honestly didn't feel any obvious difference in quality compared to the early 2000s MIJ Ibanez I'm used to, except maybe the stock MIM pickups in the Strat. But ultimately my point is there's 12 years between each guitar and the Baja is the more expensive one, yet both are great quality and both have held up to years and years of gigging before the whole Covid thing. You can't go wrong. Another friend of mine has this MIM 2016 Socal Charvel that's also a solid, dependable instrument. He paid €650 for it, brand new, blowout sale. Lucky prick.
    I've never played a CV Squier extensively (like for several weeks) but the ones I tried out were pretty good too. I don't think you can go wrong with those either. Used prices might be a bit high still though.

OmegaSlayer likes this.
  5. SCJR

SCJR SS.org Regular

Just found the Greco line of Zemaitis and at that price point they look great. Locking tuners and binding not usually seen at that tier. Could be worth a look, MIK if I'm correct.

I would go with MIK if possible on a PRS SE. I found one used and the fit and finish on it really blows me away at this price. Little details, especially on a semi-hollow with a figured top you usually see some sloppier work around the seams and F-hole(s) and whatnot.

Compared to the very first run of the Trampas Green that have Zach Myers's name on the actual headstock and the more recent MII stuff I found the MIK to have the best looking pieces of mahogany for the body and nicer flame tops in general. FWIW it's a great guitar but most people seem to be trying to get $600-650 for not always great condition examples.

For a guitar that cost $750 new and (usually) available to play almost anywhere means I'm most comfortable right around what I paid for it, $550 shipped. And from what I can tell it only has one ding anywhere on it. Definitely scored. The SE stuff seems to be the best bang for your buck, even if I wish I had a more creative opinion lol.

OmegaSlayer likes this.
  6. Ted Pikul

Ted Pikul SS.org Regular

I would take a look at the Charvel DK series. You should be able to find one used for around 500 euros. It's got a bolt-on maple neck, and a few different pickup configurations to choose from. They can take gain, and some of us buy them for that reason, but they're pretty versatile guitars, definitely not intended solely for shredding. Most of them come with non-locking Gotoh tremolo systems, but there are a few hardtail models. Charvel is owned by Fender, and the DKs are made in Mexico. Build quality and QC are pretty good. Worth a shot if you can find one used in your price range.

OmegaSlayer, Wolfhorsky and mastapimp like this.
  7. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Yeah, on your budget either a decent MIM Strat, or a used MIA Strat, would be where I'd look. The last 5-10 years Fenders have been pretty consistently good, and the nice thing with used Strats is it's rare that you walk into a used guitar shop where there aren't at least a handful of Fenders on the wall.

Covid makes this tough, but I'd say just play a whole bunch and buy the one that feels and sounds the best to you.

If you want something a little more shred-y, but only a little, the Charvel So Cal and San Dimas line has really impressed me, for a "classic" superstrat.

efiltsohg, OmegaSlayer and aesthyrian like this.
  8. OmegaSlayer

You know guys, I pretty much fell in love with the Squire Starcaster...

9. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

G&L tribute is another option

OmegaSlayer likes this.
  10. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

I own a 2020/2021 Squier and I've played another. The parts and QC are fantastic especially for the price point. Better than they were a couple years ago which was still pretty good. Some of the models have roasted maple necks with some figuring. The pickups in my JM are awesome. The only thing I'd add is locking tuners (even though I dont have any tuning issues with this particular guitar, I still prefer them in general). And pickups of choice depending on personal taste. Perhaps new saddles also depending on taste (vintage, modern, etc).

If it tells you anything, I ordered three more Squiers.

OmegaSlayer likes this.
  11. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

12. OmegaSlayer

Never heard of Zemaitis before, I took a look at the website and they have some really good stuff
    Unfortunately the Greco line has only Pau Ferro fretboard, which is a wood I'm totally ok with, but, yeah, I need some maple juice

Totally OK with Charvel, I've seen a second hand one SoCal in green with black pickguard, and the stock pick-up have been removed and swapped with some DiMarzio iirc
    It's under observation, it's a bit pracey for what I had planned as my budget, but it already have better pups, so it's something I would save on in the long period

I mean, my first guitar had been a Strato Squier purchased in 1991
    I absolutely regret I had sold it, especially for emotional value, but I don't have many fond memories of the build quality, so I'm very happy to hear that things have changed

About the Affinity Starcaster, I realized it has crap pickups, but I might put a JB that I'm going to remove from another guitar, so I would be half of the road of making it better

Basically the high end Adrian Smith is exactly the perfect guitar I had in mind, including the look (white with black pickguard)
    Too bad neither the back of the headstock pic nor the specs can address the manifacture
    Indo is totally OK in my book, China not so much

Ted Pikul likes this.
  13. skullfxr

skullfxr SS.org Regular

MIJ Jackson DK2m. Great build quality all around, just swap out the bridge with a Gotoh or OFR and you have a heck of a machine. the original SD's are good enough. I think that in the US it's pretty easy to snag one for $300ish on the used market, probably would be attainable in your budget in Europe.

OmegaSlayer likes this.
  14. OmegaSlayer

Yesterday I picked a Squier Starcaster
    NGD thread soon
    SPOILER: I f'n LOVE IT!
    DSCF0472.JPG

Ted Pikul likes this.