Maple fret board love

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by mechpilotace, Oct 3, 2013.

1. mechpilotace

mechpilotace SS.org Regular

It seems that Ibanez just doesnt have a good selection of seven strings these days let alone ones with maple fret board. Does anybody know where I can purchase a new neck for my RG7321 with a comperable neck profile (wizard II) and the maple fret board? Any other suggestions would be nice as well.

2. Webmaestro

Webmaestro Ibanez Fanatic Contributor

Agreed. I love maple boards, and they're just so rare from Ibanez... especially on 7's.

The 1527M necks are too wide (I believe 58mm) for the pocket on the 7321... which is 56mm, I think. Even so, finding a 1527M neck separate from the actual guitar is damn near impossible.

I think you may have to go the aftermarket route. I've heard good things about a builder named Nate Perle, who sells on ebay under two names: pcguitars and perleguitars001 (check out auction # 121185558377). He does 7-string necks with the 56mm heel width. I don't have any personal experience with his products though. Basically, he puts the "raw" necks up on ebay, and then you can have him cut the Ibanez headstock shape, add inlays, etc. For a price, of course.

3. skeels

skeels ..to pay the beels

You might be able to find a luthier to refit a maple board to your neck.

Nate CNC's his necks but they will cost you.

Maybe Livewire guitars could help.

It's worth it to look around and send out a few emails.

4. Berserker

Berserker SS.org Regular

You'll probably get a better response posting this in a more relevant section...

5. Webmaestro

Funny you should mention this. Tomorrow, I'm shipping my 1527 off to Livewire. In addition to a complete refinish, I'm having Michael swap the old, worn-out rosewood board for maple... with small offset dots.

So yeah, a big +1 for Livewire. Michael is awesome to work with--a level of customer service you don't often see in this biz. The guy genuinely loves what he does, and it shows in his work and attitude. Expect a decent wait though, as he's become very popular in the last year. He quoted me 3 - 4 months before he'd get to my guitar.

Hmm, this seems like the most relevant section for a question like this. What section would be more relevant?

6. mechpilotace

Thanks for the input guys, ill check out the ebay seller, and also isn't it pretty expensive to get the fret board switched out like that? i only payed 200 for the guitar and I think something like that is gonna cost way more than what I payed for the guitar itself.

7. Webmaestro

Yeah, it's expensive (north of $250 for labor + materials). Not to mention the sacrilege of pulling a perfectly good rosewood board.

HOWEVER, a whole new 7-string neck is probably going to cost you at least $250 as well.

There really is no cheaper option, unfortunately.

8. mechpilotace

9. HighPotency

HighPotency SS.org Regular

If you're ready to drop that much dough for a maple fretboard, you might want to wait for winter NAMM and see what Ibanez brings to the table first.