Malmsteen, Yngwie J. string heighth

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by OmegaSlayer, Feb 28, 2021.

1. jvms

jvms SS.org Regular

This thread showed up with good timing! I've been wanting to experiment to play with a little more height, although nothing as colossal as 4mm. I was wondering how I should do it. I'd like for the strings to have the same height from the first to last fret. Does that mean I have to raise the nut? If yes, how can I do it? And how high can I go without having issues?

Thanks a lot for the attention!

OmegaSlayer likes this.
  2. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

Yes. That model is from the Fender custom shop. They have another finish called Burgundy mist metallic that looks really cool. Looks like bubble gum. LOL.

[​IMG]

3. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

Love the finishes but that price though!

Rosal76, OmegaSlayer and Leviathus like this.
  4. Dayn

Dayn SS.org Regular

The best tone comes from the angle between your fretboard and the strings at the nut being 4.32 degrees with an 864mm scale length. Preferably with pyramid inlays to really harness the cosmic harmonies of the mathematical beauty of 432hz.

That was meant to be a piss-take, but I probably just described someone's terribly setup bass.

CM_X5, AxeHappy, Matt08642 and 3 others like this.
  5. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

No, raising the nut helps nothing other than an open string. Adjust the action at the bridge until you can bend as high as you want, and until you can’t hear any buzzing. If an open string buzzes at that point you need a higher nut. Anything higher than that won’t make any difference in tone, but will make the pitch off when you fret a note. (And all this assumes the correct neck relief.)

AxeHappy, OmegaSlayer and BlackSG91 like this.
  6. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

I agree. I always thought super low action just sounded noisy and “petered” out quickly. Just dull and lifeless. I have always preferred slightly higher action because it feels better and rings better to me.

OmegaSlayer likes this.
  7. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Loves Black Guitars & Meng Mengs

I always press any string on the 3rd fret and if there is just a little bit of space between the string and 1st fret then I thinks the nut height is adequate.:)

;>)/

Hollowway and OmegaSlayer like this.
  8. X1X

X1X SS.org Regular

I think the general rule is that between frets 1-12 you can increase action by loosening the truss rod and onwards from 12 you raise the bridge pieces. Of course it's a little more complicated in real life but that's a good "rule" to know.

9. ScottThunes1960

ScottThunes1960 SS.org Regular

Please don’t tell people to crank on their truss rods to set action. Those guitars aren’t yours.

mastapimp, Doug N and Wuuthrad like this.
  10. Wuuthrad

Wuuthrad SS.org Regular

Minimum 3.5 on the bass strings, often same on the trebles, or a bit lower for me. Did any of you play Classical? It’s often 4-5mm, and I think Yngwie played classical early on if I remember correctly, which probably carried over.

Action is all about personal preference obviously, but a string will vibrate more fully through a wider dynamic range from pick attack and velocity when it’s higher off the fretboard, which as a result can result in more tonal variety. Of course with high gain it’s not as noticeable.

Truss rods are not used to set action, they are for neck relief, although the two are related to each other. Action is set at the bridge or saddle, and with a properly cut nut.

Electric guitarists can “cheat” with low action and high gain and slinky action because nobody’s going to hear the buzz anyway.

I like higher action because you can use your left and right hand more and shape your sound more.

I remember Yngwie talking about with scalloped frets he can really “grab” the note.
    Wasn’t he also selling deodorant and chewing gum?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    OmegaSlayer likes this.
  11. TheShreddinHand

Anyone know of a real good site devoted to Yngwie tabs (besides the obvious ultimateguitar/songster/etc.) that’s more accurate than those aforementioned sites (which can be hit or miss)?

Please don’t say learn by ear, I absolutely can but don’t have time for that these days, LOL!

OmegaSlayer likes this.
  12. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

I don't know of any specific websites, but there is the Yngwie Malmsteen Anthology tab book which I believe was written by Yngwie, and obviously YouTube.

13. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

That’s a good question. What songs are you looking for? I came across a lot of Young Guitar issues where Yngwie had done columns and videos. I have a few tabs he’s done from other magazines too.

OmegaSlayer likes this.
  14. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

If your string isn't buzzing, giving it more "room to vibrate" doesn't change anything of consequence. I suppose that having higher action means you can abuse your strings harder with your picking hand without causing fret buzz, but I highly doubt that's a) the point that anyone was trying to get across or b) going to give an objectively better tone.

The string doesn't care which direction is up or down or how much space is around it. It only cares about the things it actually touches.

AxeHappy likes this.
  15. BlackSG91

Yngwie sure did play classical early on...classical Strat.:)

[​IMG]

;>)/

OmegaSlayer, SpaceDock and Wuuthrad like this.
  16. BlackSG91

Speaking of tablature I bought this book way back in the late 1990's at a music store in Toronto that held a guitar auction. It's very good and thorough with all tabulated notes...but it was hard for me to learn since I did not have the album 'Eclipse' to reference to. Now thanks to the wonderful world of the internet I can easily hear the whole album on YT. Now I just need to find the book since it's hidden somewhere in storage.:oops:

[​IMG]

;>)/

17. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

Nope...transcriptions by Wolf Marshall, Andy Aledort, Mike Butzen. I have a few Yngwie tab books and Wolf Marshall tabbed Rising Force which is okay, but I wouldn't say it's accurate after seeing Yngwie live a few times. I've also heard that he rarely plays the same take twice and what's recorded is what he's feeling that day.

I think the best bet is to go through the tabs a few times to get the notes and rhythms, then adjust by watching a live performance/video lessons and tutorials. Some of the cracking the code content or lessons from Chris Brooks will assist in picking up some of Yngwie's tendencies.

18. TheShreddinHand

I’m gonna pick that one up. I do have Rising Force so won’t hurt to add the anthology.

I used to have the one Young Guitar issue that came out right after Facing the animal and there were tabs for parts of every song. Can’t find the issue anymore in the house argh! I know someone did a tab book for the concerto suite in Japan but it’s like ridiculous prices on eBay and not sure how accurate it was. I love that album. Honestly anything of his I dig! I just spent the last week listening to every album while at work! LOL! I’m also mad that I can’t find the huge stack of Joe Stump tabs I had that I got from the man himself back in the late 90s. Begged my parents to send him a check and I got a huge envelope full of tabs of his first four albums. Sucks I can’t find them anymore.

I thought of Chris Brooks last night too and bookmarked several of his YouTube videos!

BlackSG91 and Lorcan Ward like this.
  19. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

^ Chris brooks has the yng-way book that is pretty good.

TheShreddinHand and Lorcan Ward like this.
  20. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

I got a bunch of Chris’s books one Christmas. They are some of the best guitar instructional material you will find.

I have a few Yngwie tabs I made somewhere. You should messsge Levi Clay and ask him if he has tabbed any Yngwie. That’s probably your best option to get the most accurate tabs.

TheShreddinHand and BlackSG91 like this.