Malmsteen, Yngwie J. string heighth

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by OmegaSlayer, Feb 28, 2021.

1. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

So, according to Mr. Malmsteen, Yngwie J., about min. 20:38 in this video ALLEGEDLY says that his action is 5, 6...7 millimeters

Pretty easy, I too some times have huge action, with the guitar in one room and the strings in another one... :facepalm:
    Not even on a warped acoustic...I can't even :facepalm:
    Not to mention that the Strato neck is fat, and not like Ibanez...so...for 7 mm plus neck, the guy must have a clamp and not a hand, something with the force to shatter diamonds bare handed

PS I love Yngwie and in the video is in the best shape I've seen in ages, maybe even with some face lifting...but yeah, even more relaxed than usual, more humanly relatable...but this string heigth thing is Spinal Tap level
    This is one of those thing that are too funny and need to be posted

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

I think Mattias Eklundh also plays with stupid high action.

OmegaSlayer likes this.
  3. OmegaSlayer

In the vid he shows the guitar and it's not even close to 5 mm, it's 2...3 at max
    Check with a ruler, 5 mm is quite unplayable
    Playing a descending arpeggio like Yngwie does, not barre shape, at that speed, with 5 mm action gets one's finger below the strings

4. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

No way. Even for classical guitars, 3-4mm is about the max people will go, afaik. At 5-7mm you'll get serious tuning issues too.

OmegaSlayer likes this.
  5. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

Maybe he means from the bottom of the scallops lol? Uses 8s too afaik.

I play music, cwhitey2, narad and 7 others like this.
  6. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

From what I can see it looks pretty high. I'd say probably 4-5mm from top of fret on that low string highest fret. Probably about 2mm at teh first fret (from what it looks like to me).
    - What's really weird is it still sounds like he has low action setup on his guitar. He strums that quick chord and it buzz's out and stuff.
    - It's a challenge to play high action and has it's drawbacks. I'm using somwhere around 4-5mm on my highest frets to about 0.5mm on my first fret.
    - It's really about the tension. Because he has only 3 springs (I've seen some of his guitar with 5 springs) and super thin strings, it makes it easier to make contact with the fret. The Scallops make more sense to me know for his style because a huge drawback is high action makes legato and taps so much hard to play cleanly. The scallops would basically negate this issue.
    - Pretty insightful to see his setup up close like that. It makes sense for what what he's doing for sure. He can still play legato and taps no problem. Has the action height so he can lay into the strings and not choke it out and he has the thin strings for easier to manage tone in the mix etc. - But aside from all that, seeing what he can do on a guitar, even with a setup that makes sense for his style, that's still some chops to control it so well.

7. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

First thing I thought of.

vilk, chipchappy, Dan_Vacant and 3 others like this.
  8. groverj3

groverj3 Bioinformagician

It has to be this.

The string noise he gets, despite the high action, must be because the 8s he plays with have a lot of room to vibrate.

OmegaSlayer likes this.
  9. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Loves Black Guitars & Meng Mengs

I heard Malmsteen tunes down to 432 Hz for a slightly less string tension and atmospheric cleansing.:vince:

;>)/

BenjaminW and OmegaSlayer like this.
  10. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Does Yngwie know what a millimeter is?

vilk, GunpointMetal and OmegaSlayer like this.
  11. OmegaSlayer

Attached Files:

BlackSG91 likes this.
  12. X1X

X1X SS.org Regular

6th string looks a bit high but he has probably never fretted that string. He just chugs open Eminor all the time. 1st string didn't look that high.

Edit: Just checked my guitar from that angle. It looks pretty much the same and my action is no means high. Yngwie just talking to keep his mouth warm.

Edit more: I actually enjoy some of the stuff he's playing in that video. Haven't listened to him in a while.

Edit even more: Another hilarious classic shredder tutorial video: Guy says "just play like this" and proceeds to shred for ten straight minutes.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  13. X1X

X1X SS.org Regular

Also: Are you telling me this isn't a masterpiece?

OmegaSlayer likes this.
  14. Supernaut

Supernaut SS.org Regular

There's a part in the video where he hits the low E string (acoustically) and it buzzes - there's no way you'd get that with 7mm of clearance unless he's counting from the bottom of the scallop.

And please, Yngwie - love you man but please stop burying your tone in so much delay!

OmegaSlayer likes this.
  15. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Loves Black Guitars & Meng Mengs

It appears here that Yngwie has his string heights set up at approximately 11.237459 mm. At that height he seems to be struggling just a bit because the strings are too high. If the height of the strings were set at approximately 6.537249 mm he would then be able to play guitar more fluently and effortlessly...with grace.:oops:

;>)/

gabito, c7spheres and OmegaSlayer like this.
  16. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

I was going to say that, too. Maybe he thinks the action is measures at the fretboard, not the fret. I wonder what he uses to check the action: a gold leaf caliper? A souvenir Ferrari pen? LOL either way love this guy and his playing.

OmegaSlayer likes this.
  17. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

Still one of my favorite texts I got from a buddy from high school way back.

[​IMG]

18. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Yngwie is a fantastic musician. That said, I don't suppose he has the faintest clue how to set up his own action. He's out driving his Italian sports cars while he pays a tech to restring his guitars and whatnot. The guys honestly thinks you can't get a metal tone out of a humbucker when he's one of the 1% of metal players not using humbuckers... if you want to know how to play, listen to Yngwie. If you want to know literally anything else, listen to Yngwie for entertainment purposes only* lol

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  19. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Yeah... 5 to 7 mm from the pickguard to the string

20. pahulkster

pahulkster SS.org Regular

That video is very very Yngwie lol. Not answering any questions and just shredding all over the place.