Mad hatter guitar products

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by jcpwn, Feb 25, 2019.

1. jcpwn

jcpwn SS.org Regular

Hey everyone. Been intrigued by mad hatter's solderless system for a while now and wondering if any of you have tried them. I know that Steve vai has an EVO set in his own guitar but never heard him talk about it in any intervew. Since there's not so much review/comparison of the product I wonder if it worths putting it in one of my guitar. The electronics work well on mine but would still be willing to give it a try if it worths it tone-wise. Any advices/infos/comparisons are welcome.
    Here's a link of the mad hatter guys tchilling out with Vai's evo.

thank's everyone

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire War-Bard

I don't have the mad hatter solderless stuff, but I do have some solderless stuff in one of my customs and it makes pickup swaps a breeze. otherwise it's not really worth the price point. Soldering is cheap and easy to do, which is part of why solderless just hasn't taken off for guitars.

Konfyouzd likes this.
  3. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd has left the building Contributor

Yea... I feel like some of the solderless stuff took too long for me to have an interest in it at this point. All the time that it wasn't available just forced me to learn to solder. :lol:

For those coming up that don't want to deal with all that, this could be cool, though.

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire War-Bard

soldering is a really useful skill though, since you can use it to fix electronics/cables/amps, etc. That's why I'm always surprised when people complain about soldering. It's really not hard provided you do the proper prep work and have a half decent soldering iron (mine cost 15$ on amazon for one with temp controls).
    I'd love if solderless stuff was more readily available and at a reasonable price, simply because I swap pickups all the time, but it'd prob save me like 5 secs at most compared to soldering :lol:

Konfyouzd likes this.
  5. jcpwn

jcpwn SS.org Regular

thanks for answers. yeah it seems overpriced now. I guess I'll pass on it ('til I decide to add a push/pull split coil) too bad there's not lots of review or comparison on them tho.

6. odibrom

odibrom .

If it is just for the solderless property, do yourself a favor and install these little connectors instead. It's super easy, those pins connect to the pots and switches of the guitar's circuit. You'll plug and tighten (with a screw, depending on which model you get) the pickups' leads at the other end.

Picture:
    [​IMG]

I've been installing these on my guitars for 10 years now. Super easy to swap out pickups and other components, if you'll use them like that. In my main guitars I have these installed so I can swap out pickups in 10 minutes (retuning included). I also use these to swap the selector switch (5 way super switch) so I can try different coil combos without having to do the soldering inside the guitar's cavity.

I do agree with @KnightBrolaire, learning how to solder isn't a big deal nor expensive, so do invest in that also... and in learning how a guitar circuit works...

jcpwn likes this.
  7. jcpwn

jcpwn SS.org Regular

that's an interesting alternative brother Ima check it out!

8. Riker_Maneuver

Riker_Maneuver SS.org Regular

Is there a specific name for those connectors? "3 pin connector" doesn't seem to bring them up on Amazon and I want to install those on a couple of my guitars because it's such a great idea. Like a DIY duncan liberator pot.

EDIT: Nevermind google image search got me what I was looking for.

odibrom likes this.
  9. odibrom

odibrom .

I've been finding them under the "PCB connectors" keywords. There are lots of shapes and sizes (and colors and brands and models...) as well with different layout options. These pictured have 3 pins, but there are with up to 10 or more. The minimum I've found is 2 and near me I can only buy of 2 or 3 pins... yes, a DIY duncan liberator for 1/10th of the price... more or less...

10. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Bumping since nobody has commented on the sound...

I recently got a Terminator EVO installed on my main RG. Definitely a tonal improvement on the stock electronics. The tone pot is a huge step up and a wider range and the added treble boost is a neat feature for certain situations. I just received the Terminator TEN for another RG.

If you're getting one just for the sake of solderless wiring, then yeah, what everyone else said. Especially if you like to tinker with adding extra features like coil taps, frequently swapping pickups etc. That said I'm happy with the Terminator kits well enough to warrant buying 2 and possibly more for my guitars.

odibrom and devastone like this.