Luthiery quality-Daemoness, Padalka, Strandberg, Etherial, Ran

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by SamuraiShred, Feb 12, 2017.

1. SamuraiShred

SamuraiShred SS.org Regular

BTW Emperor Guillotine you are extremely rude not only to me but to the all community as well. You simply make silly assumptions ( i.e. "..kid..", "..I'd venture to say that he doesn't even know the wait list time of all of these luthiers.") and your comments are not related to the topic.
    If you believed that what you had to say would not make a contribution to the community, just simply avoid writing instead of trolling and being rude.

2. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

I'm sure there is. But he is more concerned with aesthetics.
    Well, I'm not going to argue with you there. I'm sure that the rest of this forum's members who have interacted with me on here for years will all jump in concurrence about how "rude" I am. :lol: Mate, it's a forum on the internet. Take a step back and cool off. You're only 15 posts in.

3. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

Honestly, OP, you sound like hundreds of thousands of other kids with absolutely no real experience who somehow get it into their heads that they "need" a custom guitar.

You don't. Throwing money at a custom guitar is an idiot's game unless you have a lot of experience under your belt.

More experience than you have, I guarantee.

4. SamuraiShred

SamuraiShred SS.org Regular

I mean my Dean is fantastic to play but I do not like it aesthetically. I look for a guitar which 100% fits my technical and aesthetic needs.
    The opportunity of being even more technically satisfied is of course considered; that is why I am so curious about such new neck designs.

5. Emperor Guillotine

^^^ This. Absolutely 100%.

When the time comes in which you truly need a custom guitar, you'll know. You'll have certain needs/desires as a player that you'll be able to clearly define, you'll articulate why you as a player have those needs/desires (based on years of experience), and you'll logically reason that the custom route is in fact your only choice in obtaining an instrument that precisely fulfills all of those criteria.

If you'll indulge me for a moment here, I've only commissioned one custom guitar thus far in my tenure as a guitarist. In all honesty, I did not even want to go the custom route. However, there was nothing on the market that could fulfill the criteria that I had laid out for this currently ideal guitar based on my years of experience playing multiple guitars of various styles and researching into luthiers. So, I knew it was time to go custom. I didn't have any other choice. Custom was my only choice.

It's not like I found some random aesthetically pleasing guitar with exclusive features online and went: "Oh, that's pretty! I want that!" Nope. I spent months researching luthiers in order to decide who I wanted to trust to actualize this custom guitar. And when the time came to put the deposit down, I wasn't questioning which luthier or going back and forth while trying to decide. There was only one clear-cut choice.

I did not want to spend the extremely large amount of money and endure the extremely long waiting period while the guitar was being built. However, I reasoned with myself that because the needs/desires that I had clearly defined as a player were not available on any other product (and I was able to articulate exactly why I had those needs/desires), I rationalized that the money and wait time were both necessary sacrifices in order to obtain the guitar that precisely fulfilled all of my exacting criteria as a player.

6. Danukenator

Danukenator Kane's Bane

If this is the case, I would personally suggest compromising. Appearances are the easiest thing to overcome when choosing a guitar. If you love how something plays, the looks cease to matter as much.

I'd seriously recommend looking into Carvin or Kiesel (they have more modern appointments that may suite your needs). It may not look 100% like you want it to but you'll be able to pick out of a lot of specs, save some cash and a lot of time. I've found Carvin to have a great quality to dollars spent ratio (never dealt with Kiesel so YMMV). It is a much less expensive testbed for a custom then taking a full dive.

I'd suggest reading the forums around here and carefully weighing your options. I can say with 100% confidence that ordering an Etherial is a ....ing terrible idea. If you need to ask why, I'd personally suspect you haven't done all of your homework.

Try searching with this in Google: "insertBrandHere site:sevenstring.org". That will filter google results to just this site.

7. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

As someone who has thrown his hat in the custom guitar ring, and had his ass handed to him, I'd say steer WELL clear. There are good luthiers out there for sure, but there are also luthiers who are good - until they're not. Read about Bernie Rico Jr, Marty Siggery, and a whole host of others who were the cat's meow until they just stopped making guitars and kept people's money.

Now, I'm about to be rude, as well: Saying you want a silky smooth neck and no intonation problems tells me you are soooo not ready for a custom guitar. Intonation problems are either because the guitar was not set up correctly (which is an easy fix) or because the bridge was put in the wrong place (which would be a HUGE red flag for any of these luthiers, and something that you wouldn't ask if you'd done any research). Secondly, I have never heard anyone want a silky smooth neck. It sounds like you want a neck that has been sanded well. Which, again, is sort of a minimum requirement for any guitar.

We are not being rude to you intentionally. But you've come onto a guitar forum with people who have a depth of knowledge about 7 and 8 string guitars that exceeds anything else you can find. But you're asking questions that indicate you have only recently started thinking about it, and are ready to spend $3000 or more money, and have done next to no homework. Our being rude to you is the equivalent of a us telling a new driver not to see how fast he can go around a corner. We're trying to save you a lot of headache, heartache, and loss of money, because we have been there. So, sorry for being rude, but accept that we are being helpful and kind. Were we polite dicks we would have told you what you wanted to hear, and let you make a huge mistake. I can think of at least one Facebook group you can go to where they will tell you they have just the guitar you need, and have you pay $3000+ on a custom run guitar, simply because they want your money. This, however, is not that place.

EDIT: One last thing: You are right about Emperor Guillotine. He IS evil and rude. That that is why I, the Giant Robot controlled by Johnny Sokko, continually battle him on a 1960s Japanese television show.

8. Emperor Guillotine

This is why the rep system needs to be reinstated. :rofl:

9. ASoC

ASoC Downpicker \m/

Clearly OP needs a DeVries guitar :rofl:

10. nistley

nistley SS.org Regular

...but have to wait until December! :)

11. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Exactly. Even after shipping and taxes you will come probably close to 50-100% lower price compared to going full custom, with a significantly shorter waiting time. They even hit a lot of the bullet points you listed like a flat fretboard (20" radius) and have thin neck options if you want. Plus you can return the guitar if you don't like it.

With neck sizes you might be surprised by what you find really comfortable. I recently bought a boutique LP style guitar to replace what I was using before. The LP I had earlier I thought had a really comfortable neck, but the new guitar has an even more comfortable one! The slight differences in profile and thickness made it a perfect fit for me. Had I been the one who ordered the guitar I might not have gone for those specs but being able to try the instrument before buying made me realize how spot on it was.

Also worth mentioning is that tastes change. Back in the day I was all about really thin necks etc but now would rather have a chunkier neck instead because they are more comfortable to me after all. With 7+ strings I would like a slightly thinner one. For me the Strandberg Endurneck did nothing but I really like the standard profile on my Kiesel AM7. It's in that right area where it is not thin or thick.

12. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

Speaking of neck sizes - it is not uncommon over time to gravitate towards thicker necks.

I have an RG550EX with a super wizard (17mm) - the Stein I just bought is far more comfortable - calipers tell me it's 21.5mm at the zero fret.

My S7320 feels much thicker than that despite being 19mm. There's simply too much "flat" on the back - the stein's rounder profile is much more comfortable.

Almost every longterm guitar player I know has followed a similar pattern. Thin, flat necks make it very easy for inexperienced players to play quickly and adopt certain kinds of technique, particularly in metal, but more versatile players often run into the chief flaw of such profiles - they offer very little support for the hand and can often be fatiguing and tiring to play.

13. blacai

blacai SS.org Regular

I own a strandberg* and the endure neck is far from thin.
    It is something you need to play and check. Some people love it, others hate and some(where I am) don't notice any difference.

Daemoness requires to wait 3-4 years if I am not wrong. All what Dylan creates is simply artwork.
    Ran are cheaper and have a shorter waitlist.
    Padalka have really great reviews and their last builds are just amazing. Again, "relative long waitlist".
    Etherial, you might order one and make a review for the forum. Lot of people would appreciate it :lol:

I started checking also for a custom, but just because I wanted something more artistic. I don't have the knowledge about woods, best choices, profiles and all that stuff. Luckily I have played lot of great and custom guitars but I am just a bad room-musician and there are lot of aspects I don't get.

So in the end, just gave up with the idea until I feel production models doesn't fit my requirements. At the moment choosing PU and fretboard material is all I need :)

14. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

I haven't played any of the mentioned brands, but I know that the waiting list of Strandberg is just insanely long and only moves by small increments with every batch of guitars built.

From what I see at Padalka and Daemoness, both deliver absolutely outstanding work. No idea about their waiting list though...

15. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

You don't need to go M2M to get what OP wants -- that's the huge waitlist. You honestly don't even have to go custom shop...

16. pondman

pondman Build Whore.

He's booked up for obvious reasons ;)

17. Casper777

Casper777 Slow Player

heu... I think OP left the building! :ugh:

I hope being "rude" helps the guy realize that maybe he can find plenty of great guitar fitting his needs without going thr CS route...

18. Danukenator

Danukenator Kane's Bane

50$ says the "rude" people here would never behave like that in a person to person conversation. Ah internet anonymity...

19. Andless

Andless SS.org Regular

Been here done that (Siggery, but got the guitar at 18months delay).

In general, I do sympathise with players that don't feel super-attracted to most guitars on the market, and in that light, custom does looks attractive.

But, the risk, resale price, the wait, I'd say unless you don't have a very specific need that ju just have to have, its simply not worth it.

In my experience production guitars MIJ/MIK at around 1k (with a possible pickup-swap will be the money best spent, with possibly MIJ:s or MIUSA at 2-3k if you want something that feels more exclusive.

20. Nialzzz

Nialzzz The Perseus Veil

Not fully reading the thread comments, my two cents is, bin the idea of an etherial, NOW.

Also, considering the M2M Stranny wait list is touching 8 years (if everyone on the list pulls the trigger when their number comes up), you'll just be finishing puberty when you get a chance to purchase one.

The likelihood of a daemoness or a Padalka any time soon is not really on the cards either.

Save up and buy a blackmachine...