lundgren M8 vs Fishman Abasi 8

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by teamSKDM, Jan 7, 2019.

1. teamSKDM

teamSKDM SS.org Regular

hey whatsup guys recently decided about picking up another 8 string and have long decided on the m8's in the past , but am interested in the new fishman lineup of 8 string pickups (keith merrow and tosin abasi seem most interesting)

What i love about the m8 is the clarity and meaty aggression , and ive heard the tosin abasi fishmans as both clear and aggresive with very pleasant tones for cleans where the lundgren falls short in that area. however if the lundgren is more clear and more aggressive than the fishmans in a rhythm tone im not worried of that shortcoming.

as far as an aggressive clear punchy rhythm sound goes has the fishmans dethroned the lundgrens? or do the lundgren m8's (or new blackheaven 8's ? ) still offer the most clarity and aggression?

2. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

The cleans on the M8 are fine in my opinion and i doubt you’ll find anything like the clear aggressive grind of the M8 in any other pickup for rythym. If you’re really picky about cleans then grab a different neck pickup but, i wouldn’t go to the expense and trouble of active pickups that you need to recharge.

I’m biased though because i don’t like active pickups so, i guess take my opinion with a grain of salt.

3. Dayn

Dayn silly person

If you want a Lundgren for that rhythm tone, get a Lundgren.

The Abasi Fishmans are absolutely incredible and very versatile. But they're their own beast.

4. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Stage IV GAS

nothing really mimics the m8 well other than agile's cepheus passives. There are other passives that share certain aspects of the m8 (elysian trident and instrumental sfty3 both nail the sledgehammer low end) but none feel exactly like it.
    If you do go with fishmans I'd take the moderns over the abasi set. They have a voice more in line with what you want, and they'd still have good cleans (especially if you use the coil split option).

I play music, mlp187 and jemfloral like this.
  6. crg123

crg123 SS.orgLocalArchitect

I have the M8s and the abasi 7s. Love the M8s. My favorite 8 string pickup I've tried.

I got the fluences in a 7 String Aviator I got in a trade, I really don't care for the abasis, which is too bad because I was really looking forward to trying them. I'm switching it out for another pickup (Guitarmory Patriots). The abasis are not agressive enough for my personal tastes.

+1 for the M8s. Should note I've never liked any activite pickup I've tried. I was hoping the fluences would be the first to change that but they weren't.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    I play music likes this.
  7. teamSKDM

teamSKDM SS.org Regular

anyone know of the availablility of multiscale m8's for a vader?

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Stage IV GAS

johan can do multiscale, but I don't know the exact angles he does.