Lundgren Heaven 57 for Metal?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by txaggie929, Apr 26, 2021.

1. txaggie929

txaggie929 SS.org Regular

This is gonna sound stupid, but bear with me.....

I have a set of Lundgren Heaven 57 7-string pickups that came with my Aristides 070. It currently has Fishman Fluence Moderns in it which I am still on the fence about.

I'm curious how these particular Lundgrens would actually do for 80s metal to modern metal, since they are based on a PAF. However, I can't just solder a couple wires to find out because of the current configuration.

I can't find hardly any sound samples, and the ones I have just a have a little bit of overdrive.

Anybody have any direct experience?

2. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Sorry, no experience, but I'd love to know the answer.

Maybe you can take one for the team and do the experiment for us? :D

Manurack likes this.
  3. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

I have 57's in a RAN Crusher 7 and I absolutely love them, the neck pickup especially is incredible.

It'll definitely do 80s to modern metal, and it really rewards a heavy picking hand on the modern side. It's not as aggressive as the M series, but its equally as articulate. The cleans are absolutely stellar too.

4. txaggie929

Interesting......may just have to install these then and see

5. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

Nobody ever talks about their stuff besides the M series (and more recently the Black Heavens), but most of their range works perfectly for metal.

6. txaggie929

Exactly.....that's all I could find is M series this and M Series that, but not much else about these when I searched. I also emailed Lundgren asking for specs, but was basically told "it's just like our 6 string version", which literally told me nothing after looking at their website lol.

7. Emperoff

Lundgren customer service regarding pickup advice was completely useless for me as well, which sucks considering there is little information about them online.

I gathered this for anyone interested:

- M Series: The most agressive of them all. Cold and brutal.
    - The One: A5 version of the M series. Similar to a BKP Warpig
    - Suckerbucker: Very bright and agressive, plenty of mids. Kinda like their take on the JB, but tighter.
    - Black Heaven: Modern sounding. Agressive with plenty of mids.
    - Hot Heaven: Warmer "Hot PAF" kinda tone, but still quite high output. Great cleans.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  8. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

So, is the M scooped in the mids compared to the Black Heavens?

9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

no. Both have plenty of mids, M series is a bit more low mid heavy though.

10. Emperoff

The M series have plenty of high mids, but they're a bit scooped at the center mids and have massive lows and highs. It's a VERY agressive pickup, very stiff, great for rythms but not so much for leads.

The Black Heavens have much less low end, which is not demanded for current metal sounds. It's more versatile in general, specially if you get the A5 option

11. Quiet Coil

Quiet Coil Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

I’ve been going back and forth with Johan (Lundgren), trying to learn as much as I can before I drop $300+ on a set, and the above claim had me very curious (and a bit excited). That said, this was his response to this comparison:

“I would not agree. Please note this and please spread it on the forum.
    The One have two uniform coils of a slightly, slightly thinner wire. And alnico 5 magnet and a polepieceholder and polescrews.
    It has explosive mids. And pretty small amount of treble/highs.

M-series has actually coils that are a bit different from each other and make the pickups really "shine" and the harmonics come easily and the treble is frequent.”

I can’t speak to the Warpig comparison as I’ve never played them. For me personally, I think it will be Alnico Black Heaven all the way.

Flappydoodle likes this.
  12. Emperoff

Wow, you actually managed to get a 4-sentence description from him. I'm impressed! :lol:

Either way, besides physical differences (not mentioned anywhere) you are into the same ballpark. The M-series is very agressive and The One is very warm with plenty of output using a thinner wire (like a Warpig).

If they had proper active covers I'd probably have all my guitars with Lundgrens. The covers they use are 2mm thick with no holes, which can be a problem for pickup height adjustment since actual pickups will always be 2mm further from the strings (which is a lot in this case).

Seymour Duncan by comparison uses 1mm covers with holes, which are perfectly useable.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    Quiet Coil likes this.
  13. Quiet Coil

Quiet Coil Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

Definitely wish they had more cover options, but they’re still a comparatively small company so it is what it is. I’ve actually been considering aftermarket covers…

I’m debating whether or not I want nickel slugs instead of the default black hex screws. Probably depends on which guitar they’re going in.

14. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

I have a set of the Ones lying around but I haven't bothered installing them yet, so I can't really help with the warpig comparison either. I bet @zimbloth could give a better description of how the lundgren stuff compares to the warpig though. The black heavens are a looooot more dynamic and way less stiff/ "cold" feeling than the M series, with way better cleans ime. I'm debating on ripping out the M7s in my 070 and swapping them for black heavens because I liked them so much in my baritone 6.

Flappydoodle and Quiet Coil like this.
  15. Emperoff

Problem comes with active-sized covers. If using regular routes you can always get 7-string covers from Axesrus, which will cost you around the same price as BKP covers. Downside is that you have to solder them yourself, of course.

Quiet Coil likes this.
  16. BigViolin

BigViolin JEFF LOOMIS SOLOIST!

As for the Warpig comparisons, I haven't played any Lundgrens that manage to be muddy, vague and harsh all at the same time so I'm not really getting that. :lol:

oracles likes this.