Luke Hoskin from Protest The Hero has a signature Ibanez RG coming up

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Zalbu, May 13, 2018.

1. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

He got his LACS in 2015.

aesthyrian and Dcm81 like this.
  2. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

It's not sure it will need, a know a guy working for ibanez and he told me the premiums from 2017 and on are very high quality. It's probably why they got more expensive than previous years, better qc and so on than the lower tier indo models.

3. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

It's not sure it will need, a know a guy working for ibanez and he told me the premiums from 2017 and on are very high quality. It's probably why they got more expensive than previous years, better qc and so on than the lower tier indo models.

4. MaxOfMetal

Eh, I’m sure your buddy is trying, and toeing the company line, but that’s not what I’ve seen and historically, and most know this, I’ve always been a big Ibanez guy.

5. Dcm81

Dcm81 SS.org Regular

But IF you do get a good premium, like I was lucky enough to, the frets are flawless. And those fret ends :yum:

6. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

Right! Those fret ends doesn't prestige guitars have, only j.custom AFAIK. Watching Ola Englunds indo factory vlogs makes me sure that Indonesian made guitars are getting on the same level as WMI. At least some factories, I'm sure a few indo factories still suck.

7. MaxOfMetal

You can’t rely on folks with a vested interest.

Go out there and play everything you can get your hands on, even if it’s something you’re not immediately interested in.

8. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

Local store only have gibson, epiphone and fender pretty much. Good thing most online stores have like 2 weeks return policy if you're not happy with it. I may be a bit overly enthusiastic with this guitar since the specs and appearance appeals to me a lot. Still stand by that the new premium ibbys are not garbage though :p

9. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

Wasn't the entire marketing thing that premiums receive prestige fretwork? I got to admit, I didn't play many premiums in the past but from my cloudy memory I think I remember them being way better than Iron Labels.

I think if you were to have a sig, it would make more sense to make it premium if it's a plain looking workhorse and go prestige for the fancy stuff. Having a nice looking guitar with neat features but subpar build quality seems silly to me.

10. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Not quite. The buzz about Premium fretwork was that they received the balled fret ends, which they dubbed "the Premium treatment."
    That's a feature that Prestige models don't get; outside of J.Custom models, the Premiums are really the only ones that will have that luxury.

However, that doesn't mean that the quality of the fretwork is better. I'd still take a Prestige fret job with standard fret ends over a Premium one with the fancy ends.

That second part of your post really captures why everyone is unhappy with the big Premium push that they're making lately.
    They all look great, most have features that can't be found (or are rare finds) on other models, and are generally really exciting guitars. But...a lot of the people that were asking for these things, were asking for them in a Prestige because of build quality. Ibanez clearly knows that, which is why they've made the move to the Premium series and pushed up prices on the Prestige line- because they know the Prestige labeling has a lot of brand equity that can sell on name and the Premium guitars have [got to have] killer margins, so those are the guitars they want to move; which is why they get the exciting features.

It just kind of sucks.

gienek and cwhitey2 like this.
  11. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

on paper it should be everything I want in an Aesthetic but its not as lush as I was expecting. Maybe Maple board would have won me over more?

Not sure. If I were him, i would replace the Gibraltar with the Hipshot version just because the Hipshot is just so so so nice its too good to pass up on imo.

gienek likes this.
  12. MatiasTolkki

MatiasTolkki Burn In Agony

Then that dude has no idea what he's talking about because the premium AZ i played was absolutely horrendous. I also played a Fan fret RGD and that had it's problems too.

13. MatiasTolkki

Ibanez gibratar is a pretty good bridge, if you get the right one. Hipshot can piss off :)

Leviathus and Dineley like this.
  14. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

yeah that's just silly hipshot fanboyism there, no other hardware is any good except hipshot apparently.

MatiasTolkki and pecado like this.
  15. MatiasTolkki

that's the same kinda thing jeff kiesel says, but hipshot is meh. MIJ metals ftw

16. MaxOfMetal

Nothing wrong with Hipshot. They make solid, functional hardware.

People are just weird. It's just a fixed bridge. It's not like it's a trem with moving parts. As long as it doesn't fall out of the body you're pretty much fine. :lol:

Dineley likes this.
  17. gienek

gienek SS.org Regular

My gibraltar tend to lose intonation over time + i think, the bridge mounting screws are stupidly small

lewis likes this.
  18. MatiasTolkki

i've heard that replacement parts for gibraltars are so hard to come by that they aren't feasible long term.

A little off topic, but Nita Strauss said on her facebook page today that the ZR trems are being phased out permanently.

19. MaxOfMetal

Use a little dab of thread locker next string change, or wax. I do that to just about all my fixed bridge guitars.

That's not exactly new info. Since losing the lawsuit both Edge Zero and ZR units are to be phased out, the ZR is already gone. Now that the patents ran out on the Edge and Lo-Pro they're actually cheaper to produce now, no licensing fees, so they're going back to those full time.

We knew this back in 2014.

Some guitars will keep modified versions of the EZ, and apparently they'll be available for certain runs of JCs, but that's it.

20. MatiasTolkki

But that lawsuit has no effect over here in Japan, or even outside the US iirc (I think they still use ZPS even in Canada, not sure though). Ibanez has been releasing EZ/ZPS models consistently since the lawsuit, at least here in Japan.