LTD SCT-607B - pickup choices/advice

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by NickD094, Dec 22, 2014.

1. NickD094

NickD094 SS.org Regular

I've had my SCT-607B for about 2 months now and I'm trying to think of some decent pickups to replace the stock EMGs. There's nothing inherently wrong with the 81-7s, I just prefer passives.

So far I'm thinking of Bare Knuckle Juggernauts, but with that said, the only set of BKPs I've had in the past were Painkillers and I wasn't the biggest fan. Also considering a Lace Drop and Gain or Nitro Hemi set. Any suggestions/photos/clips from any fellow Stephen Carpenter sig owners? Here's mine with my old SC-607B

[​IMG]

2. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User

I have Blackouts in my SC607B and like them quite a bit.

3. shnaggs

shnaggs Well-Known Member

I have a sc 608b that I put ceramic nailbombs in. I started out putting a 808x in the bridge....was alright, not a huge fan. Then I did a lot of research on what bkp that would work well in the steph line up. Zimbloth really recommended the C-bombs, so I went with them. I will say that they are nice pups. I would say that they are not very voicestress pickups, just well balanced and they really let the wood speak through them.

4. NickD094

NickD094 SS.org Regular

The smart option for me would be to go for Blackouts because of the ease of changing from the EMGs to the Duncans, I do like them. Are yours AHB-1s or AHB-2s?

5. NickD094

NickD094 SS.org Regular

A friend of mine suggested Nailbombs as well

6. jc986

jc986 Tone Enthusiast

I'd recommend the EMTY Blackouts (AHB-3). I prefer them over the regular Blackouts (AHB-1) as well as any EMG I've ever tried. The EMTY's are tighter than the standard AHB-1 Blackouts, but still have increased headroom and dynamics when compared to the EMG's.

You might also look into the EMG 57-7 & 66-7. I haven't had a chance to try them out, but they are generally reviewed favorably, and should have a more passive feel than the 81-7's you have now.

7. NickD094

NickD094 SS.org Regular

I've nothing but good about the EMTY set so that might be an option. The problem I have with the 57/66 set is that it's hard to find them in Australia without them being super expensive, and it's not really viable to buy stuff from America at the moment because the exchange rate is crap at the moment.

8. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User

As far as I know the 7 strings are only available in AHB-1 and EMTY sets, so I'm assuming all of mine are AHB-1s.

9. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

Nitro Hemis or Drop & Gains would be excellent based on the natural wood tonal qualities and for getting a nice clear, articulate growl and bite that'll clean up nicely. (Throw a coil-split on there for single-coil tones. ;) ) Plus, you'd probably be the only guy with a SCT-607B with those pickups in it based on what I've seen around here and on other forums.

I feel like I should maybe mention the X-bar/Deathbar combo that a lot of people use on here, but I'm not a fan of those pickups at all and had crap experience with them.

I'm not a Lace fan or a Lace user (heavily into EMGs), but I think with a heavier mahogany-bodied guitar like this, either of my two recommendations could provide you with a really nice, beefy tone with options. I really wish Lace made Dirty Heshers in a 7-string version (or something with a similar EQ curve and dynamic attack). I think that would do your guitar justice.

10. NickD094

NickD094 SS.org Regular

That's exactly why I want to go the Lace route, in Australia in particular, they don't come up very often. Bare Knuckles are pretty uncommon as well but I've definitely seen dudes with them in their guitars, but never Lace stuff. It seems like a good option because, for one, they're half the price of the Juggs.

11. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

You have my opinion there, man. I have yet to see a Carpenter model with Laces in it anywhere on the Internet.

BKPs are great, but not a one-stop solve for everyone. And the price...ugh...

Like I said, I'm not a Lace user of a Lace fan due to my experience with the X-bar/Deathbar combo, but their other pickups are spot-on judging from my ears via some samples that I've heard. Snag a set of their 7s for this mahogany-bodied baritone and dial yourself in a huge-sounding tone. :yesway: Besides, I think you can always tweak your amp/rig settings (since they play a bigger role) to compensate for differences in some pickups or to make them sound more monstrous.

12. avb

avb New Member

Whatever you decide post some sound clips if you can. I just picked up an SCT-607B (have an SC-207 also with ESP pups) a couple of weeks ago.

The EMG 81-7s are way different than the passive pickups I'm used to but they are definitely clearer and tighter however I felt I lost some lows in the bottom end. I'm not sure that it's the pickup though. That SCT-607B is 27" the SC-207 is a 25.5 scale so it just vibrates differently imo. When I first played my SCT-607B though I didn't love it but comparing tracks to my old stuff there is a huge difference in clarity and it's an improvement overall.

13. Haunted

Haunted Dedicated Headbanger

having a 27" scale and bright tonewoods definitely makes a difference

I didn't expect such a difference when I got my rg1077xl

I got me some Lundgrens (m7 and heaven 57) for it and the M7 has tons of low end while being extremely tight
    I have BKP aftermaths in my K7, and they are a whole lot brighter (in a darker guitar), single coil style attack, I wouldn't put them in a baritone and can't recommend them or similar pickups if you wanna thicken things up

you can get the M7 with the EMG style cover, if you're willing to shell the cash

if I could explain the sounds in words I would say:
    The aftermath is like breaking glass
    The M7 is like punching into concrete haha:)

hope it somewhat helps you narrow the options down

14. Lace Music Products

Lace Music Products SS.org Regular

Hello Nick! I don't know if you've committed to a set of pickups yet, but I just wanted to let you know that Lace has an official presence on this forum, and we're in the Dealers section.

If you need any technical information about any of our products, let me know and I'd be happy to assist you via Private Message.

15. Evil Crawling I

Evil Crawling I New Member

I've both the SC-607B and the SCT-607B and recently changed the pickups in both. I've a set of white EMG 707x pickups in the SC-607B, and they sound great, especially with clean tones.

I've the EMG 57-7 66-7 set in my SCT. The improvement was huge. A lot more clarity in the lowend, notes seem more defined. They really do seem to bridge the passive/active world really well. Passive warmth and roundness with active quietness, punch and clarity. I love them.

Ian

16. Evil Crawling I

Evil Crawling I New Member