Ltd sc607b pickup dilemma.

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by macgruber, Jan 8, 2016.

1. macgruber

macgruber cat enthusiast

heya fellas. got an incoming ltd sc607b (7 string neck through baritone, maple neck and alder wings) and was gonna pull the emg's an throw in a single bridge pickup and mod the guitar a little. i'm looking for a pickup thats tight as a ducks butt and can maintain chord clarity and balance. something with plenty of attack is a big bonus - im after a dry and unsaturated feel.

something that sounds decent clean would be great, but the main focus is rhythm.

dimarzio is my least expensive option, so thats a major plus but any other options are welcome. ive got a d-activator in my rg4321 and dig it, but would appreciate something a bit different.

if anyone has some suggestions, please chime in :)

2. BenSolace

BenSolace Divine Solace

If money is no object, I'd recommend the Lundgren M7 - I have one in my SCT607b in drop G and the rhythm tones are tight as you could ever hope to get, yet heavy as hell. Really fun pickup to play through.

I've not played it, but Lundgren also have "The One" model, which I think is basically the M7 with an alnico magnet. If you're tuning higher than me (e.g. standard B) I would imagine the alnico magnet would fair better for clean tones and lead tones, but still be close the the ceramic M7 in tightness.

3. Jaxcharvel

Jaxcharvel SS.org Regular

The Lace Xbar would be very good for this application, and so would the Duncan Pegasus.

4. macgruber

macgruber cat enthusiast

i've got the lundgren m8 in one of my guitars and thats what im judging all the other pickups against. i'd love the m7, but its too pricey to get my hands on. good call though mang ;)

i've heard mixed things about the x-bars, i'd like to play one before making a commitment since they're so different.

5. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I have a pair of Ionizers in an RG that I love. The bridge pickup, compared to a D-Activator, has more midrange, is smoother overall, less compressed and hot, and is very clear. It responds well to your right hand, so it gets pretty heavy if you dig in and cleans up if you back off.