LTD H-408B vs Ibanez RGD7421

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by tarzegetakizerd, Feb 10, 2021.

1. tarzegetakizerd

tarzegetakizerd SS.org Regular

Hello guys,

I'm still in the fence on buying a guitar for my needs. I wanna be able to play drop E/Standard F# stuff, but i don't really need the highest E string.

My current options are:
    Brand New LTD H-408B with EMG 808s (27")
    Used Ibanez RGD7421 with Juggernauts (26.5") - comes with bonus hardcase.

The Ibanez is significantly cheaper, which can help me fund other equipment. is the 0.5" difference significant for lower tuning? I don't really have any options above 27" here in my country.

2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I have a feeling you'd have to try them both out to really decide. If it was me, I'd go with the RGD for a whole bunch of reasons (pickups, don't want an 8, looks better, I usually like Ibanez necks, etc) but I don't drop tune very much. You might be better served by the slightly longer scale length, but maybe not. It's gonna come down to taste, IMO.

tarzegetakizerd likes this.
  3. tarzegetakizerd

Thanks a bunch! Yeah maybe I'll see if I can try em both before I choose.

Wanted to see whether there are others who have tried and can tell the difference between 26.5" and 26" scale lengths with the drop.

4. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

tbh in that case I'd go Ibanez, both due to the price and included pickups.

plenty of bands use 26.5 inch scale guitars down to F#-E.

Alpha Wolf, Thornhill, Dealer, etc are some fairly popular ones as of recent who have been doing it. RGDs are a staple in the genre and staple in the tuning range.

5. tarzegetakizerd

Thanks for your inputs! I recently sold my EC407 to buy an 8string. Realized I wouldn't be able to tune down lower with the 25.5" scale, even though I loved the guitar to death. If I go with the Ibanez, I'd be buying it with just the same price I sold the eclipse.

The juggernauts really were the deal-maker here. If the guitar looks good once I inspect it, I won't hesitate to buy it. The extra funds would then be used to buy an audio interface.