LTD EC300 (Korea)

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by 693, Feb 10, 2019.

1. 693

693 SS.org Regular

Hi,

I am looking at one of those old made in Korea LTD EC300. Anyone ever owned one and can say anything about the quality? Being made in Korea I would think it was one of the better ones.

Here's a picture of a similar one I found online.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

These are something like 15 years old, maybe more. Initial quality doesn't matter nearly as much as how well it was taken care of for that time.

3. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

I had a 300 series Korean Viper (Baritone) from 2001 or 2002 (I forget now), and it felt as good my 2007 EC-1000 Deluxe.

As Max says, for a guitar that old a primary concern will be condition.

4. Malevolent_Croatian

Malevolent_Croatian SS.org Regular

I have a 2002 Viper 305 bass, it fucking rocks!

5. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

Friend of mine had a couple, loved them. I had an EC 400 AT briefly from right after these were made (archtop instead of bevels), think an 04, maybe 05. The fretboard and neck on it were far superior to any other LTD I've had or played, before or after. I'm not sure what it was, but it was excellent. Not that this necessarily helps you.
    Had H400s and H302s from right around the same time frame and have nothing bad to say about them. I'm also actively stalking pawn-shop pricing deals on an H207, so I think early LTDs can be a gem if treated well.
    My only comment is that the beveled early Eclipse models generally are not nearly as popular as anything else in the lineup. You can find genuine ESP ones in the $500-600 range easily. There's an awesome one that needs a bit of work on Reverb for $400 right now, which is insane. So I wouldn't spend more than $200-250 on one of these. If you can spend a bit more, just go ESP Standard.

6. wedge_destroyer

wedge_destroyer SS.org Regular

I had an Mh-301, solid guitar but it was well cared for by the previous owner and he had the cheap floyd pulled for an OFR.
    As long as the frets are good and the neck is straight, go for it if you get a good price. Getting new hardware for a TOM is easy if needed.

7. 693

693 SS.org Regular

Thanks, Guys.

I will have to think about it, he's only asking about 207usd. But I can't try it out. I unsure about the heel, it looks weird.

Beveled you mean the edges? If so, that's what I like, as I prefer an arm contour if possible.

400? for ESP? where?

8. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

That's about the going rate for a lot of the older 90's ESP guitars. But, while they're typically well built, the hardware and electronics aren't on par with modern, high end ESP guitars.

It's kind of like how you can find old Mayones for under $1k, they just weren't as nice back then.

JD27 likes this.
  9. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

Yup, the older LTDs are built great, I think a little better than the new ones, they just had crap hardware. Got a 200 and 207 for about $200 a piece, then gutted them and replaced with good hardware. Now they play and sound great. Still want to replace the nuts though.

[​IMG]

AkiraSpectrum and feraledge like this.
  10. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

$207 is a good price if the condition is good.
    But yeah, beveled edges means it has a forearm contour, so you're in luck, because these ones always go cheaper than archtops.
    https://reverb.com/item/15299958-esp-eclipse-1994-sonic-blue

Hardware and electronics depends on the model. But what you get in terms of woods and build quality is high. Obviously the fretwork on a 20+ year old guitar is rarely a reflection of how it was made unless it's sat in a case for decades, but go into it knowing what it takes to fix it up and you'll get an insane deal usually.
    Also totally varies on the models, the use of Floyds is almost random, but since the Sinclair and Floyd-style Kahlers aren't direct fits for Floyds and buying replacements is a pain, it's definitely a huge factor when it comes to older trem models. TOMs definitely less so.
    Also, I'd say less than half of the 90s ESPs that I've bought had the stock pickups in them. I think I've seen an old ESP neck PUP once in a guitar I actually owned.