Low tuning and strings

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Warvinc, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Warvinc

Warvinc New Member

Hi guys! I'm currently with my band A Hitman's Business(playing in drop A)

But I'll probably start something else,something less technical,more beatdown and something really low.

My guitar is a 7 strings agile interceptor with blackout pickups.

I'd like to know:

What's the lowest tuning I can go with that guitar(I'd like to go maybe drop F if possible)

AND also,which size of strings do you guys suggest to me!

Thanks!

2. Seybsnilksz

Seybsnilksz SS.org Regular

What scale length is it?

3. Ed_Ibanez_Shred

Ed_Ibanez_Shred Baritone sixes

It depends on how long the scale length is and how thick you are prepared to go string-wise. For F on a standard 7, people usually go for about a 75 for the lowest string, then the other 6 would probably be the equivalent of 10 guages I guess... although ofc it all depends on how thick and tense/thin and floppy you like your strings... I'm sure somebody more knowledgeable will pitch in, and there are a few threads you could find with the search function that probably adress the same issue. :hbang:

4. Warvinc

Warvinc New Member

it's a 27'' scale length :)

5. Obsidian Soul

Obsidian Soul SS.org Regular

Black Tongue is in drop d on seven strings.I believe one of the guitarists uses a jackson slat 7 string,which has a 26.5inch scale.They're tone sounds a little weak and definitely muddy,but I'm not that hip on the beatdown scene...

6. tripguitar

tripguitar Settler of Catan

my buddy has a schecter 7 string and plays in Drop E (basically an 8 string in drop tuning without the high E).

with the right strings it would certainly work.

dont go overboard on the low string in terms of string gauge... i found that the higher you go above an .080 the more round and dull the tone is, but where you draw the line is totally subjective.

i have a 27 inch 8 string, and for my low E i use a .079 from circle k strings (kalium?) i found that .079 was the best balance of tone and tension to suit my tastes/needs.

7. tripguitar

tripguitar Settler of Catan

while black tongue is a cool band, and i respect the music, their guitar tones are atrocious!!

8. Obsidian Soul

Obsidian Soul SS.org Regular

I can't stand it either.I think drop e is the limit for 7 strings unless you have a scale of 28 or higher....

9. Warvinc

Warvinc New Member

Well thanks for all your answers guys helped me alot!

10. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Drop F is totally doable on a 27" scale :yesway: just go with at least a 74 and you should be fine.

I'd personally go with the D'addario 12-60 set and add a 74+, but I like pretty heavy strings :2c: you may also like the 11-56 set with the 74 on bottom for a medium sort of feel as far as tension

11. HUGH JAYNUS

HUGH JAYNUS I’m a grown ass man

What he said^

Im tempted to buy an Agile 727. What gauges do you use for drop A on yours? I use a D'Addario 11-49 (wound 3rd) and a circle k 65 for drop Ab on my 25.5" Ibanez RG7321 comfortably. But im curious

12. Warvinc

Warvinc New Member

Here is what I use for my drop A tuning:

at first,I was using La Bella strings,10-64(7 strings package)HRS-72 Nickel-Plated Round Wound – 7-String, 10-64

But I bought some elixir,and I really like them ! 10-52+64 for the 7th.

And by the way I really love this guitar! great quality at a low price!fast shipping,no taxes.

13. Andrew

Andrew SS.org Regular

did someone say 75 as the lowest gauge? dats balllssyyy

anyway,

im using these [​IMG]

theyre 12-65s ... i believe my scale is 25.5 on my jp7.. but i dont seem to have problems tuning as low as i'd like.

14. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

well the circle K website says the the difference in tension between 25.5 and 27 is 1 semi tone . the longer scale will be a semi tone tighter which isnt that much

I have a 25.5 guitar set up in all 5ths at the moment with a 76 for the low G . tension is good for the G , dropping it to F# is ok tension wise. so that would be the same as a 27inch scale in F . A little floppy but I like my low strings with a little slack. I personally wouldnt go lower though

15. Russbuss777

Russbuss777 Member

depending on the Scale.

i have a 26.5" scale and Play (Top String to bottom) F# B F# B E G# C#. 26.5" is border line for such a low tuning.

i am using 13- 74 guage strings (Essentially D'addario 8 string pack just drop out the thinnest string).

at that tuning tension is key, i am even tempted to try something a little thicker even, but my tension is perfect at the moment.