Low profile tone knob?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by KR250, Jul 15, 2016.

1. KR250

KR250 Build addict

Here's my scenario:

I have an ESP EII Horizon that is almost perfect, except the volume placement is right in the way of my picking hand (directly under the bridge pickup, very close). This bugs me to no end so I moved the volume pot to the tone pot location, then removed the tone knob since I don't use it.

I'm trying to find a clean way to cover the opening where the volume knob existed. At the moment I'm just using a sticker that looks a bit tacky. I can't seem to find any sort of low profile knob that would sit out of the way of my picking hand to fill the opening. For this guitar I don't really want to modify it beyond bolt on's, I have my customs to fix the actual placement of the knobs.

Anyone run into a similar scenario? If nothing exists I'll probably just cut a piece of dyed ebony to replace the knob with a low profile.

2. Grif

Grif H O W D Y

Get a couple bits of wood and make your own? It would cost next to nothing and shouldn't be too difficult

3. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

4. KR250

KR250 Build addict

5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

what finish is the horizon in?.

if its like white or black, just get a "blanking plug" that is the diameter to plug the hole in the body and bam. Neat job.

6. KR250

KR250 Build addict

It's satin black, so yeah that should work. Those were the keywords I was missing, thanks all!

7. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

your welcome mate!. Hope it works for you. Upload a update picture when you have it installed :yesway:

8. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

You could get some 1" metal pipe, cut a short piece, paint it, then glue some wood or acrylic (anything really) in the center.

From there its just some drilling and gluing.
    You could end up with a really sick looking, homemade knob.

9. Djentlover666

Djentlover666 Forever tone questing

Old thread sorry but, did this end up working for you? I want to do the same to my guitars or buy a few led killswitches.

Flappydoodle likes this.
  10. KR250

KR250 Build addict

I never quite found what I was looking for with the blanking plugs. Had the guitar for sale for a while but no takers. Decided to keep it now, so planning to make an epoxy plug for exact fit with a black pigment in it and try to blend as best I can. I'll use some wax paper or something so that it isn't actually bonded to the guitar while pouring it. I think this will be the best option. I'll post a pic when I finally get to it.... hopefully not another two years lol!

Flappydoodle and Djentlover666 like this.