Low Gain Black Metal

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by Sumsar, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

So I wrote this riff a week or two ago and created a lesson for it. The basic premise is the black metal riffs you can write without using a ton of gain and having a blastbeat going over it. Other types of riffs, like this one, can sound just cool, but in a very different way.

Crundles and Mathemagician like this.
  2. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    The inicial riff reminded me of a long lost band called "The 3rd and the Mortal"...

Sumsar likes this.
  3. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I don’t know that I would even categorize this riff as “black metal” as to me it has a very “progressive” nature to it from a “70’s” perspective. I find it very tasteful and it leaves a good foundation for a lot of movement in a vocal melody, not to mention plenty of space for the bass to be more active and a few tasty fills and variations of the drum performance. In my head I hear all kinds of subdivisions of the drum pattern as it progresses to build up to the transition to the next part of the arrangement. This is a very good strong verse arrangement.

Sumsar likes this.
  4. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

Love the videos man, keep up the good work! :)

Sumsar likes this.
  5. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Yeah I guess it could also be a lot of other genres, but for me it very much sound like something you would find in a Mayhem (newer stuff) or Dødheimsgaard song, though those bands can also be said to be fairly progressive. But thanks, I still take it as a compliment :lol: