Loving Jpxi-7, but time for a 26.5 & a fixed bridge

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by DeadThrone, Aug 7, 2017.

1. DeadThrone

DeadThrone SS.org Regular

Hey everyone, haven't posted in quite awhile...So im looking for another 7. & really. I can't say I have a strict budget...but would like to keep it not a hair over 3k...& so I am gonna list some axes I'm looking into & perhaps if you could share your experiences/knowledge of these, it would be greatly appreciated.

-Ibanez RGD7UC
    **awesome looking, pure brutes, specs line up to my ibby-loving tastes...but I see people sell them so quickly? why?? Aside from maybe just saying you'd might as well get the standard rosewood prestige rgd...still skeptical..people say they don't jive with the neck?

-Schecter KM7 MKII
    **specs line up great for me...would jump on it immediately...however I grew really skeptical after recently playing the new apocalypse model that did not sit well with me at all (which to my understanding is pretty similar to the KM...maybe I'm wrong?)

Jackson HT7
    **Probably at the top of my list right now. I don't even need to go into detail. Just pure class & sexy...after having the JP I love the truss rod placement & of course the hipshot takes the cake for me as I have not yet had a high-end axe with a fixed bridge.I see them used for $2.5k to $3k all the time. If anyone has owned one and sold it, id like to hear your reasons why.

-Mayones Reguis/Duvell 7's
    **i realize many of them go well over $3k (especially the reguis models) but the duvell elite has a lot of what I am looking for & cant really say I'd be unhappy with that model. How does neck profile on the duvell elite compare to HT7?

So basically, these are the models I am looking at & I really want my next 7 to be my main because I work so freaking much & im in multiple band projects & find myself changing strings a lot & don't have a lot of time...& it takes a good minute for me to get my Jp set up right. & of course...F# doesn't sound good on my JP...
    Let me know what you guys think. I'll also quickly note I want to play just about any style but I mainly go from Drop A# to drop F# (typical djent bs...I know lol)

Let me know!

2. GXPO

GXPO SS.org Regular

I had the HT6 amber tiger eye and can say that it feels incredible in your hands, the fret work on mine was fantastic and it just felt like an all round solid guitar. I should add though that this was the second neck as the first one warped having never touched the truss rod. I'm pretty sure someone at the shop I got it from had done an atrocious setup on the display model or something but I could be wrong.

I had absolutely zero intention of getting rid of it, but a dude on Facebook saw it and offered me a Hannes equipped TEW, CW topped Regius and I couldn't say no. He wanted the HT6 so badly that he was happy to take a loss on the trade..

Keep in mind that if you go for the fancy top version of the HT, those aren't light guitars. That's no issue for as I actually prefer a little bit of weight in the body but I'd recommend trying one first to make sure that works for you.

I will 100% get another HT in the future.

3. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Why not a multiscale?

At any rate 26.5 is pretty common now. If you are spending three grand there's no reason to consider the schecter.

Get the bulb or a used custom shop.

Mayones are great but you'll either have to search around or order one for a 26.5.

4. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

The RGD7UCS is a brilliant guitar, but no one can tell if you'll like the neck. The build quality is two steps above the IronLabel models, although you can find quite nice ones when you go to stores and check them before buying. The blue burst over poplar burl actually looks great!

5. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Are you sure you will like how a low F# sounds on a 26.5"? Honestly you will need more than one guitar if you are in multiple bands that use different tunings. With a $3k+ budget you could spec out a custom multiscale that would cover a lot of ground.

6. DeadThrone

Thanks for the insight. That tigers eye is so gorgeous but I cant hardly find one of the "base ones" -without the P inlay etc. in that particular finish

7. DeadThrone

I've heard so many mixed things about Kiesel leaving many consumers unhappy these days. I'd love a multi scale but to be honest I am so foreign to what my OCD would prefer as it relates to where the "perpendicular" frets angle at? I literally don't know squat about that haha. Maybe enlighten me? Drop F# sounded pretty amazing on a couple of the 26.5 guitars I've tried. Honestly I know y'all are waaay ahead of me on this. It's been quite awhile since I've nerded out on guitar gear (been busy learning audio production, mixing mastering) so while it's common for most, extended range guitars are hilariously foreign to me & both my sevens are 25.5

I need to do quite a bit more research on multi scales

8. DeadThrone

I've got the bubbinga iron label 7 s series & it's kind of become dull to me. Something about the neck just doesn't feel solid to me but the profile is just about right. I feel the RGD would be a perfect workhorse but those aftermaths are just to tight for my tastes. I'd have to see what other pickups would give that wood a better balance.

9. DeadThrone

KM 7 is so tempting considering I could use the other $1900 for a kemper :)

If only they had that neon blue with the fixed bridge! Neon colors need some hipshot love

10. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

Have you considered the Ibanez RGDIX7MPB? Good looking, nice specs and cheap so you would have $ for a kemper. I know one of the guitarists in Polyphia preferred it over RGD2127 which is a great guitar.

11. diagrammatiks

If you don't want to spend your entire budget then just get a used kmii.

The apocalypse has the same body but the finish on the kmii makes it feel a lot classier. Plus the apocalypse is weirdly heavy for a swamp ash guitar. All the other guitars on your list make you blow your entire budget.

12. DeadThrone

Yea i actually played that a year ago when I worked at a music store when they first came out. Only problem is I am kind of over iron labels in general or anything non-prestige with ibanez. My first guitar when I was 7 years old was an rg120. I've NEVER Owned a prestige. I think I owe it to myself now that I have the financial means to get a really nice guitar. i love that finish though

13. DeadThrone

Of course Guitar center doesn't have any KM's in Atlanta. You'd think in a bigger city they would but nooope they're gonna be savages like always. I'll look in the used market see if I can maybe try one out somewhere. I am not too entirely concerned with blowing budget. I want a kemper but I am in no means rushing that purchase considering I have an axe fx XL plus. but would be nice if I jive well with that axe. Keith has always been an inspiration to me. I hope QC has been tight on the Mk II's

14. diagrammatiks

I really wouldn't worry about people selling ibbys quickly. Some people just like buy tons of ibanez.

How do you fell about purple. Because if you like purple you should just buy this.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/new/rgd2127fxvcf.htm

If I had extra money I'd buy the shit out of that.

15. cmtd

cmtd SS.org Regular

There are 3 tiger eye, non-sig, HT7's on reverb right now. Both used and new.

16. pott

pott SS.org Regular

I have a JPX-7 and while I love it, I also can't stand floating bridges.

I went with an Aristides 070 with the hipshot bridge. This wasn't hype-driven: I got an 060 a while back and had visited the factory and tried one before I ordered it... and the 070 is exactly what I expected it to be. It's fantastic.
    Build quality is excellent and they sound AMAZING. They're not too heavy (I only have very light guitars so it's hard for me to relate this to 'normal' axes...), they resonate and sound huge, and play just as good as it's possible for an electric guitar to play.

The JPX-7 isn't 'worst' by any means. Hell I LOVE its clean tones (mixing in the piezo... yum) and finish.
    I barely every play 7 strings so I'm getting rid of it, but it's not a reflection of its quality, even compared to the 070.

17. Kevcarnage

Kevcarnage Well-Known Member

I absolutely love my rgd7ucs. Plays, feels and looks great. I feel like since the playability is so great it's actually benefiting my practicing. But i think i love holding her more than playing just because she's so beautiful lol

Leviathus likes this.
  18. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

Just remember that the $1900 will get you an unpowered kemper which is only part of the equation. When i got my set up i had to drop several hundred more on monitors and a decent sub (for my bass). Probably set me back $3.5-4K total.

19. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

What are your thoughts on a purple Setius 7? ;)

20. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

I own a Juggernaut 7 and a couple Mayones 7s including one baritone scale. The Jugg has a chunkier neck but it's still very comfortable- think of a wider Soloist profile. Mayones necks tend to be right in the middle of that and the super thin shapes you find on Ibanez. They aren't super flat like an Ibanez profile though, the shoulders are much more rounded.