Lots of shootings...

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I'm seeing reports of shootings at the fireworks in Phili too now.

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
Honest question here, how many of these mass shooters have/had known criminal record? Like how many of these were known violent criminals? Please answer with percentage values. My bet is way bellow 30%...
Don't have time to do extensive research right now, but a quick search turned up: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4217375/

> Significantly, 41.2% of the sample had previous criminal convictions, and this figure is far higher than what is anecdotally suggested regarding members of formal terrorist organizations, who prefer recruits with clean records as they are unlikely to raise red flags among the security community.

Would need to dig a bit deeper to figure out exactly how they're defining "lone terrorist" though vs "mass shooting". In general, "mass shooting" perpetrators would have a higher rate of criminal records because a large number of them are associated with other crimes (ie, happen during a robbery, gang violence, etc. and aren't what we tend to be what we're usually discussing here but are included in the statistics).

Also noteworthy: https://injepijournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40621-021-00330-0

> We found that 59.1% of mass shootings between 2014 and 2019 were [Domestic Violence]-related

Reaction score
... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
My definition of mass shooting in this context is excluding gang and terrorists acts, was aiming (possible pun here) at those crazies that shoot at schools or at parades, for example, but I understand the line is very difficult to draw (another pun here)...

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
I sure wish media would stop posting the identity of these crazies online/tv. The dude’s face was posted online within an hour. They are just making a buck and inciting more violence.
This is the story of reaction to a terrorist attack that only a psychopath world have.

Glades

Down in the Everglades
Reaction score
Saw pictures of the shooter at a Trump rally and wearing a Trump flag like a super hero cape. @Glades Your people. Be sure to send him some fan mail.

Receipts

I will disregard the personal insult, when I have not insulted you, or anybody on this board.

All I will say is this was clearly a mentally deranged person. Possessed by evil in his heart, with no love or compassion. Time will tell his motivations.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
@Glades Jesus Christ- Mental Illness doesn't have a damn thing to do with some Christian's idea of "evil". The "evil" angle can be debated ad nauseam but that's completely arbitrary. The actual concerns here are mental health and access to weapons. Let's not make this a topic about a boogey man in some fairy tale.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Saddest part is that we can only say that the Highland Park shooting was the worst mass shooting in the USA in at least a month.

With it being a parade and there being tons of people there, especially law enforcement, how this guy managed to evade for 8ish hours is crazy.

There were, what - 8 mass shootings in the USA on July 4th, and like a dozen and a half over the holiday weekend?! Maybe people just wanted to live up to this thread title.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The comment section on that video is disgusting, as well as the channel host.

Someome commented saying to chill out with with the conspiracy theories and consider the possibility the shooter was fucked in the head regardless of who he followed on Twitter.... The channel pins the comment and calls the commenter a "soy boy" with all the other idiots joining in.

This shit is icing on the we're fucked cake in my opinion. Conspiracy theories getting unnecessary traction and the fucking idiots eating it up.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Most people on the street can’t name 3 signers of the Declararion of Independence

so what? I could probably "name three signers" if I really thought about it, but what does that actually represent? a useless factoid I absorbed during my schooling, more akin to a slogan than anything else.

how many people on the street uncritically accept these documents as being good, necessary, and/or beyond reproach? I'm being (mostly) facetious but that would still make a more actionable data point.

amerikans have a strange, occult fascination with magic pieces of paper

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
I'm glad we Americans have ignored that pesky "well regulated militia" part and the Hamilton papers that clearly explained what that means. It has had amazing benefits. For me life liberty and the pursuit of happiness is only attainable if you start semiannual active shooter drills at age 5.

I always found going into Walmart boring...personally...but now I get to guess if the person following me in with a gun is going to shoot me, or if he is actually just the good guy with a gun, constitutionally guaranteed the right to carry but who is going to shoot the bad guy with a gun who is following us both in. Gosh this is so exciting no?

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Shooter from yesterday's killing spreee... two priors with police, audible threats "kill everyone", knives taken away in one incident in 2019, spoke openly of suicide, family felt threatened... but...

"Here, guy... Have a gun!"

Holy shit... at what point do we refuse sales of firearms to mentally unstable individuals?

And bystander yesterday "I never thought it would happen here".

I understand complacency, but Jesus... we need to wake the fuck up.

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
I will disregard the personal insult, when I have not insulted you, or anybody on this board.

All I will say is this was clearly a mentally deranged person. Possessed by evil in his heart, with no love or compassion. Time will tell his motivations.

We should all recognize that no group has a monopoly on evil or mentally ill people, but I found that video to be super cringe. Trying to say “this guy was a fake Trump supporter” falls right into the “they were antifa!” in regards to Jan 6th. These people are criminals independent of their politics.

Reaction score
... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
We should all recognize that no group has a monopoly on evil or mentally ill people, but I found that video to be super cringe. Trying to say “this guy was a fake Trump supporter” falls right into the “they were antifa!” in regards to Jan 6th. These people are criminals independent of their politics.

... whitewashing the shit out of their responsibilities... they KNOW, but don't care or/nor want to loose ground on their creeds (dollars)...

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Shooter from yesterday's killing spreee... two priors with police, audible threats "kill everyone", knives taken away in one incident in 2019, spoke openly of suicide, family felt threatened... but...

"Here, guy... Have a gun!"

Holy shit... at what point do we refuse sales of firearms to mentally unstable individuals?

And bystander yesterday "I never thought it would happen here".

I understand complacency, but Jesus... we need to wake the fuck up.

My mother's best friend knew one of the victims and had considered going to the place where it occurred, when it occurred

Is this indicative of more shootings more often or just odds I wonder?