Lots of shootings...

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
You can join a regulated militia in your county. Most places have one that you can join and train with. However, they will expect you to provide your own firearms and gear to train with.

Also, the ATF prohibits the purchase of "machine guns" by regular citizens. Civilians can only purchase rifles designed for civilian use, like the AR-15.
*It's not prohibited outright. It's highly regulated. It is possible for a regular citizen to buy a machine gun, if a) it was manufactured before May of 1986 and b) if they obtain written permission from the ATF.

Most of the people who own fully automatic weapons are both very wealthy and also have a very deep interest in collecting.

A legally purchased machine gun has not been used in a crime in the USA since the restriction law passed in 1934.

----

This whole thing about idiots shooting up delis over too much mayo is, of course, very frightening, as hyperbole comes to real life. But this is yet another case of a person behaving in a way that is completely insane, and that person being armed with a gun. Had this guy not had a gun, for all we know, he might have bashed someone's head with a rock. But 1. it's much more difficult to kill a person with a rock than it is with a gun, so you'd have to be at least a little more committed to the act, and 2. limiting his ability to cause someone's death would 100% be a good step, but limiting that crazy person's crazy state would also be a necessary step beyond that.

So again, I'm in favour of better gun control that limits how easily guns are available to crazy people, but, again, I think that a necessary part of the USA turning around from its journey to becoming a third world country pivots on the resources society has to diagnose people like this and to treat them to make them better, or, at least minimize the damage that they can do to society. And I really don't think that having just one or the other is going to do enough good. We need both. I don't want to come off as the right-wing guy who yells something about public mental health services being a joke every time gun control comes up, but I think I'm at the point where I'm just going to come off that way. I don't think it's right-wing to say that we need to do something about how crazy people are behaving as a society.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Reaction score
The only condiment/topping/garnish-related situation in which homicide is justifiable is pineapple on pizza, because at that point it's legitimate self-defense.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
The only condiment/topping/garnish-related situation in which homicide is justifiable is pineapple on pizza, because at that point it's legitimate self-defense.

Tune in tomorrow for out next ten year old hot take: is Die Hard the best Christmas movie?

And for those who are going to say yes, you're wrong and nobody cares.

mbardu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
*It's not prohibited outright. It's highly regulated. It is possible for a regular citizen to buy a machine gun, if a) it was manufactured before May of 1986 and b) if they obtain written permission from the ATF.

Most of the people who own fully automatic weapons are both very wealthy and also have a very deep interest in collecting.

A legally purchased machine gun has not been used in a crime in the USA since the restriction law passed in 1934.

----

This whole thing about idiots shooting up delis over too much mayo is, of course, very frightening, as hyperbole comes to real life. But this is yet another case of a person behaving in a way that is completely insane, and that person being armed with a gun. Had this guy not had a gun, for all we know, he might have bashed someone's head with a rock. But 1. it's much more difficult to kill a person with a rock than it is with a gun, so you'd have to be at least a little more committed to the act, and 2. limiting his ability to cause someone's death would 100% be a good step, but limiting that crazy person's crazy state would also be a necessary step beyond that.

So again, I'm in favour of better gun control that limits how easily guns are available to crazy people, but, again, I think that a necessary part of the USA turning around from its journey to becoming a third world country pivots on the resources society has to diagnose people like this and to treat them to make them better, or, at least minimize the damage that they can do to society. And I really don't think that having just one or the other is going to do enough good. We need both. I don't want to come off as the right-wing guy who yells something about public mental health services being a joke every time gun control comes up, but I think I'm at the point where I'm just going to come off that way. I don't think it's right-wing to say that we need to do something about how crazy people are behaving as a society.

If the USA had a semi-decent education and actual social safety net including health insurance, 95%+ of those incidents could be avoided altogether.
Minimally rational people with decent life prospects don't just go around shooting up their neighborhood over a piece of doesn-t-even-qualify-as-bReAd.

But a semi-decent education and actual social safety net are anti American (*cough* I mean anti-corporate-oligarchy *cough*) so we all know that's not going to happen.

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You can join a regulated militia in your county. Most places have one that you can join and train with. However, they will expect you to provide your own firearms and gear to train with.

Also, the ATF prohibits the purchase of "machine guns" by regular citizens. Civilians can only purchase rifles designed for civilian use, like the AR-15.
Yes, yes, god forbid anyone refer to a semi-auto with a term generally reserved for full-autos.

But you'll continue referring to embryos as children, because that's a far less important distinction.

mbardu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yes, yes, god forbid anyone refer to a semi-auto with a term generally reserved for full-autos.

But you'll continue referring to embryos as children, because that's a far less important distinction.

All those technicalities are just there to drown the actual debates and yet people keep falling for it.

Like...is pineapple on pizza considered a fruit or a vegetable?
But who cares, doesn't change anything about the debate!

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
If the USA had a semi-decent education and actual social safety net including health insurance, 95%+ of those incidents could be avoided altogether.
Minimally rational people with decent life prospects don't just go around shooting up their neighborhood over a piece of doesn-t-even-qualify-as-bReAd.

But a semi-decent education and actual social safety net are anti American (*cough* I mean anti-corporate-oligarchy *cough*) so we all know that's not going to happen.

I'm not sure about the actual percentage, but I could believe 95%, and I definitely agree that a majority of these sorts of shootings wouldn't happen if people in the USA were offered a first-world education and first-world healthcare options, rather than the current situation of inner city kids either dropping out due to how bullshit schooling here is or else graduating illiterate a shockingly high proportion of the time // or the healthcare policy of "you just better not get sick!"

I think it's obvious that both of these two had their nadir during Dubya, and Obama, who promised to fix it, either dropped the ball or had the ball stolen from him by an ineffective congress. Trump was "supposed" to fix it, too, but I think we all knew how that was going to go before he even set foot in the oval office.

I don't believe that there is some big conspiracy to keep people here stupid, but it's easier to keep them stupid and it certainly benefits the more dishonest politicians over the less dishonest ones. I can see how it gets perpetuated by the government despite there not being some sort of conscious conspiracy.

Same with health care, to a degree. I know I've had some members here take exception to my views on how insurance companies drive the fucked-ness of our broken health care system, but having seen it from both the provider's and patient's perspectives, I see that it has to be deliberate. Maybe it's not consciously deliberate, but who cares. Any person, corporation, or entity that fucks people over for profit and then willfully remains ignorant of anyone pointing out the human cost by simply ignoring them or brushing them off is a monster.

All those technicalities are just there to drown the actual debates and yet people keep falling for it.

Like...is pineapple on pizza considered a fruit or a vegetable?
But who cares, doesn't change anything about the debate!
Here's the solution - vegetables are the edible parts of plants. Fruits are the seed-bearing parts of plants. All edible fruits are technically vegetables. (But not all vegetables are fruits)

Culinary people who define vegetables and fruits (and nuts, too) based on how they taste rather than what they actually are can stick to their definitions, but I'll stick to mine. Tomato is a fruit, it goes in pizza sauce. Olives are a fruit, most people who don't just simply hate olives don't bitch about them being on pizza. Peppers are fruit - pizza. Pineapple on pizza? Up to you - that's the beauty of pizza, you order it however you want it or else let someone else order and trust that they know your preferences or else won't just be a dick and deliberately order what you don't like.

If you want to eat pizza with clams and mayo on it, go for it! If you want a sandwich with hot shell casings and a splash of human blood, then that's sick and you need professional help.

Glades

Down in the Everglades
Reaction score

I agree with you. There was some study that said that 2/3 of Americans wouldn’t pass the civics test required for naturalization. I can’t name the source but it wouldn’t surprise me if that figure is true.
It’s amazing how kids are graduating from high school without ever reading the federalist papers, probably the most fundamental document in American history, and then claim to have an opinion about American politics.
School zoning is another huge issue. Public schools in poor neighborhoods are much worse than public schools in affluent neighborhoods due to funding. There are kids in the inner cities that graduate and are illiterate. They walk into the real world with no real tools to make much for their lives. How about we stop sending billions of dollars to foreign powers, and invest in our education system?

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I agree with you. There was some study that said that 2/3 of Americans wouldn’t pass the civics test required for naturalization. I can’t name the source but it wouldn’t surprise me if that figure is true.
It’s amazing how kids are graduating from high school without ever reading the federalist papers, probably the most fundamental document in American history, and then claim to have an opinion about American politics.
School zoning is another huge issue. Public schools in poor neighborhoods are much worse than public schools in affluent neighborhoods due to funding. There are kids in the inner cities that graduate and are illiterate. They walk into the real world with no real tools to make much for their lives.

Might not be the source you were thinking of, but it says basically the same thing.

One thing that irks me is the way funds are allocated heavily toward the better schools. Like, the schools that are falling apart and can barely keep kids from dropping out on a good day don't deserve money? Hypothetically, in a world where corruption was not an issue, schools that show the lowest test scores should get more money to help get them up to snuff. However, in a world where big cities are full of government (city level) corruption, this won't work, so, again, we need a two-pronged approach of education budget reform coupled with anti-corruption enforcement.

tedtan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
juries are more interested in going home and going back to work rather than sit dozing off in a court room making $6.25/hour.
$6.25/hour is a step up from here. We only get $7/day to help offset parking (which is generally between $15 and $50 per day depending on how far you want to walk from the parking lot to the court house).

tedtan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

----

If someone shoots the SUBWAY employees ovef the amount of mayo on a sandwich, there is clearly something wrong with that person’s mental health. It may not have been diagnosed to date, and it may not yet be a diagnosable pathology, but that behavior is absolutely not how sane people behave. Whether it sounds right wing or not, its true.

arasys

needs more RRs
Reaction score
Logic is everything, if you guys weren't foaming at the mouth over your gun confiscation rhetoric you might see it. You might see that gun control doesn't affect the habits and actions of criminals. Common sense prevailed in NY as well, don't you love it?

"You might see that gun control doesn't affect the habits and actions of criminals." Ya I've never seen anyone with an assault rifle killing kids at a random school where I grew up. In fact I don't remember seeing a single gun on the streets in the country I lived for 23 years.

Hint: It's not USA, but you are more than welcome to use your "logic" and defend "gud pepul vith gunz da solushoon" - logic must be a wide open term for some.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
From this point forward, I will be Standing My Ground™ against any and all unruly customers, just to be on the safe side. I'm not about to get shot because Steve and Karen didn't want salt on their margaritas.
Here in Albany someone got mouthy with a worker at, errrr, some fast food establishment and the worker shot 'em.

jaxadam

SS.org Regular
Reaction score