Lost in the world of 7's pickups!

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Chi, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Chi

Chi Niverlare

Title says it all I think!

I'm considering to change the bridge pickup of my, hopefully soon to be here, new guitar which is an Ibanez RG7 Premium.

Now, I've read a lot of stuff about pickups today, I swear. I haven't really read into that sort of stuff before, atleast not for 7 stringers.

Unfortunately (or not), there's a -huge- selection on the market, and I need your help to find out what would be to my liking!

There's Bare Knuckles, Dimarzio's everywhere! The sound I'm after is well, how to describe it, nicely fat and warm, fat mids and basses...I'm shit at describing it, I'm serious! It shouldn't be too much of a high output pickup, since I'm not really after an uber-aggressive sound. (Aggressive as in cold and too...well, tight perhaps, if you know what I mean)

I'm myself a big Korn fan, hate me for it please, I'll suck it all up if need be :cool: and well, I know Munky's playing Dimarzio Blazes, but I hear that they're rather thin and cold sounding.

I also know that they played PAF 7's earlier, which were mid-output pickups if I'm not mistaken. Perhaps that's something more close to what I'm looking for ? You tell me, I dare you.

Cheers!

2. Chi

Chi Niverlare

Maybe I should mention that the wood is basswood, since that matters.

3. monkeywrench

monkeywrench SS.org Regular

What amp are you going to be useing its makes a big differance in pick up sound...

4. Chi

Chi Niverlare

A Line 6 Spider IV 75, for recording a Line 6 Pod.

5. Darkstar124

Darkstar124 Strongman

Despite all the bad voodoo the D sonic 7 might be the guy for you. My buddy has one is his basswood schecter seven and its done him nothing but good.

6. rippedflesh89

rippedflesh89 SS.org Regular

miracle man set = amazing in basswood...

its pretty warm due to the nice lo-mid punch it has.. yet it cuts through nicely because of the present, yet smooth highs...

its somewhat fat, but still super tight at the same time... and EQ response is pretty much perfect for basswood: basswood has a lot of mids... the MM7 has punchy lo mids that give it some low end, but since its low mids, it stays tight instead of getting too fat and flubby... it has some added treble as well that adds presence and cut, but its smooth so it never sounds harsh and ice picky... the mid-mids and high-mids are left somewhat flat, allowing the sound of the basswood to fill in though frequencies..

the cold sweat is similar in EQ response, but its a bit thinner than the MM7 and a bit brighter too... so i would say go w/MM7 set if you want go the BKP route...

i have also had great success w/D-Activator 7's if you want to save some money... but trust me, as great dimarzios are, nothing really beats BKPs

7. TMatt142

TMatt142 vagitarian

If you don't want to break the bank on pickups going for all things BKP...(which I would recommend BTW), do yourself a favor and get yourself a SD Full Shred for the bridge. At least do that, you'll thank me.

8. Camer138

Camer138 SS.org Regular

I agree with tmatt142 on the SD Full Shred, especially for your first pickup swap.. that way you'll have a better idea how the guitar itself sounds for when you want to spend bigger $$ on BKP.. if you still want to after getting a Full Shred installed.. My full shred killed whatever pickup gas I had before.

9. Crowned

Crowned SS.org Regular

DiMarzio FTW

10. HumanFuseBen

HumanFuseBen SS.org Regular

FWIW, Korn used to use the Dimarzio Blaze NECK model in the bridge.