Loose input jack

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by GSingleton, Oct 8, 2011.

1. GSingleton

GSingleton Sleep on, Fly on Vendor

I did search and did not really find anything.

The input jacks on my ibanez guitars come loose. I can tighten them and after a few hours of play they are loose again.

Someone suggested loctite.

I was sure with the idea of cementing my input jack. Any "input" from you guys?

2. GhostsofAcid

GhostsofAcid SuiƧmez fanboy

Something like that should work. You could also just replace it, since theyre only a $4 part.

3. GSingleton

I dont understand why it would just loosen though. My 2 older guitars used to do the same thing.

4. nothingleft09

nothingleft09 What... the... [email protected]#k!

It's due to the tension the cord puts on the jack as you move. It wiggles the jack which loosens the nut (I'm assuming that's the problem due to the loctite comment) and backs it off. You could go with some complicated junk like ordering a new jack or loctite or whatever, but just try this. Wrap your cord up around your strap and see how that works first. You will take the tension of the cable at the input jack and move it to the strap. Sometimes it could be just that simple so try that first and see how it works and go from there.

5. eclipsex1

eclipsex1 SS.org Regular

Pull the jack out.. there should be a bolt on both sides. Grab two sockets of the correct size and tighten the one where the cord goes in while you hold the other side

6. AdAstra2025

AdAstra2025 ss.org Regulator

^^^^ Yes...It will alleviate most of the tension caused by the weight of the cable on the jack. I'm assuming that you, like most of us, like to move around on stage, the cable is also prone to twisting. That puts extra strain on the jack. Give it a shot...it's free and it requires 0 electronics skill.

7. GSingleton

I have an sadly where they are already loose, it does it anyway. I may have to go with the loctite, thanks for the suggestions guys.

8. nothingleft09

nothingleft09 What... the... [email protected]#k!

No, dude. Tighten it up and try it after that. lol But yeah, if you gotta tighten it use a SMALL bit of loctite. Get the least tacky formula. Don't get the thread locker. You'll never get it loose again. lol They make different grades of loctite.

9. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

my j-bass used to do this all the time. I decided to take the input jack out and tightened it with what my dad referred to as "ignition wrenches." I haven't experience any problems since.