• Schecter LoomisFR

Votes: 64 77.1%
  • Dean RC7X Korean

Votes: 19 22.9%

• Total voters

Duckykong

Sum Dat NegroSprite
Reaction score
The RC7X I'm speaking of is the Korean model of course.

This is simply out of curiosity for the future
Ill say I'm a fan of smaller necks, more towards the Ibanez feel..
On the other hand I'm really drawn to the maple/ash combo with Emg's in the Loomis along with the enormous frets.
How is the neck like on the loomis? This is one aspect of the guitar I'm clueless on.

So inform me people..

mrhankey87

Banned
Reaction score
The neck on the loomis is bigger, but if I were you I'd do a search about the SMALL SMALL frets on the RC7X...most people that have tried it hated that thing, and overall they said the guitar had a cheap feel.

UltimaWeapon

yolo-swag-3000
Reaction score
I tought that the RC7X would be the exact same copy as the real US RC7G just with cheaper materials... :/ but in EU it costs 1150eus (RC7X) and thats too expensive... i would recomend loomis or some newer 2010 ibanez model.

Samer

Dybbuk
Reaction score
You can always reshape the neck on the loomis; sand it down to the dimensions you like (or take it to a tech to do this); problem solved.

J0NNYBRAV0

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You can always reshape the neck on the loomis; sand it down to the dimensions you like (or take it to a tech to do this); problem solved.

I would say refretting the RC7X would be much more practical and safer. Messing with the neck dimensions can have some unwanted results like warping.

I actually own both of these guitars! You may have asked me about this already (i get alot of questions on youtube about these 2 guitars), but I will say it again, a simple refret of the RC7X with Dunlop 6000's makes this one of the best 7's available.

The neck is really incredible, the cutaway is very nice, the sound is more impressive than I thought it would be (compared to my Loomis I thought it would sound weak, but it does not).

That said, I also love my Loomis and it is probably the best 7 string you can get for the price, as is. Only "drawbacks" (I put this in quatations because this is all related to personal preference) are the not-so-ultra-access neck up near the 24th fret, and the thickness of the neck.

Having played both, the neck is noticably thicker on the Loomis, but it does not render it uncomfoartable to play for me. It's built absolutely flawlessly (better build quality than the RC7X I would say), feels awesome, sounds awesome, looks awesome. And Jeff Loomis plays it!!!

So basically what I'm saying is both are great guitars, BUT!!! You WILL have to spend an extra $200 to refret the RC7X. I still say it's worth it if you want that super nice neck.

Dickicker

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Dont do the Rc7x man. Trust me. I did my research. IT really does have tiny frets and feels cheap. But the loomis, kills man! My fav and Go to and main guitar! It has huge awesome frets that make it way easy to play. and I thought I would hate the neck because I love Ibanez, but the neck is awesome as well! Plus the features and the price, man!!!! The loomis KILLS ALL! :)

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I hate Dean (typical Dimebag reason :lol:), though given the fact that you didn't get along well with the Agile, and how much you really like the feel of your Ibanez guitars, I'd say go with the RC7X.

It has a thinner neck, that's closer to the neck on your RGs. As well as having a similar neck joint.

Though, if you're looking for something different, go for the Loomis.

Banana Wedgie

Bored 13 year old
Reaction score
I hate Schecter necks personally, and if your loving your Ibanez necks, the Schecter will be horrible to you.

If you can, try them.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
I hate Schecter necks personally, and if your loving your Ibanez necks, the Schecter will be horrible to you.

If you can, try them.

Depends. I Switched from Ibanez to schecter and had no problem.

In the end i would imagine it just comes down to specs, really. I'd take the loomis, but i wouldn't mind a RC7X.

Duckykong

Sum Dat NegroSprite
Reaction score
Hmm good results..

I was talking to some dudes who own the loomis last night and all everyone could say was that it absolutely slaays everything else on the lower end of things..

That would be nice considering I own the 1527m already, for shredding haha.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Loomis vs. RC7x

Northern Ash vs. Alder
Set Neck vs. Bolt on
EMGs on both
OFR7s on both
Thick neck vs. thin neck
26.5" vs. 25.5
Made in Korea vs. Made in Korea

GL

Haunted

Dedicated Headbanger
Reaction score
Played both, and as an Ibanez owner and user I'll say go for the loomis!
better overall sound and note clarity
I actually liked the EMG's in the loomis and hated them in the RC7X
the neck is fat alright, but it's very comfy
scale length barely made a difference to playability and contributed to the sound
the loomis felt better overall
And if you already own a RG1527, I don't see any reason why you should get something so similar but inferior IMHO (RC7X)
Go for the loomis for sure man:agreed:

Duckykong

Sum Dat NegroSprite
Reaction score
Played both, and as an Ibanez owner and user I'll say go for the loomis!
better overall sound and note clarity
I actually liked the EMG's in the loomis and hated them in the RC7X
the neck is fat alright, but it's very comfy
scale length barely made a difference to playability and contributed to the sound
the loomis felt better overall
And if you already own a RG1527, I don't see any reason why you should get something so similar but inferior IMHO (RC7X)
Go for the loomis for sure man:agreed:

My thoughts exactly.
:shred:

JoshuaLogan

Banned
Reaction score
I would say refretting the RC7X would be much more practical and safer. Messing with the neck dimensions can have some unwanted results like warping.

I actually own both of these guitars! You may have asked me about this already (i get alot of questions on youtube about these 2 guitars), but I will say it again, a simple refret of the RC7X with Dunlop 6000's makes this one of the best 7's available.

The neck is really incredible, the cutaway is very nice, the sound is more impressive than I thought it would be (compared to my Loomis I thought it would sound weak, but it does not).

That said, I also love my Loomis and it is probably the best 7 string you can get for the price, as is. Only "drawbacks" (I put this in quatations because this is all related to personal preference) are the not-so-ultra-access neck up near the 24th fret, and the thickness of the neck.

Having played both, the neck is noticably thicker on the Loomis, but it does not render it uncomfoartable to play for me. It's built absolutely flawlessly (better build quality than the RC7X I would say), feels awesome, sounds awesome, looks awesome. And Jeff Loomis plays it!!!

So basically what I'm saying is both are great guitars, BUT!!! You WILL have to spend an extra $200 to refret the RC7X. I still say it's worth it if you want that super nice neck.

Dude, does the Loomis have Dunlop 6000s too? You should be able to tell since you had your RC7X refretted with them...

A lot of people keep saying the Loomis has "huge" frets, but I still haven't seen it clarified anywhere what size they actually are... REALLY interested in it if they do have Dunlop 6000s..

I'm sure they are either 6100s or 6000s... it's a much bigger deal if they are 6000s though, since, as far as I know, the USA RC7G and the Yngwie sig strat are the only production guitars with them... but most Ibanez and lots of other guitars use 6100s...

EDIT: found out the Loomis has 6100s...

Reaction score
loomis...i haven't owned owned one but the two hr's that i owned were great and i can only imagine the loomis being an improvement...if you decide cooley i would go with the mohogany usa model for a little more money...

hutchman

El' Lamo
Reaction score
Played both. Own a Loomis NT. It is the shit. Love the wood combo and scale length. Tonnes of note clarity. I've tried a few RC7's and the only thing it had over the Loomis was the ridicules access to the high notes (i mean absolutely nothing is in the way). Other than that it felt a bit shitty (to me) and I much prefer the tone of the Loomis. I just LOVE the note clarity. For down tuned music the loomis owns. So yeah if you haven't guessed already. I vote Loomis.

RenegadeDave

Huge nerd
Reaction score
The schecter neck is thick, but really playable.

It's really going to come down to personal preference:

26.5 vs. 25.5
Obnoxious inlays vs. obnoxious inlay
EMG vs. EMG
Trem vs. Trem
no HSC vs HSC
Thick neck vs. thin neck
maple board vs. ebony board
"jumbo" frets vs. "not quite as jumbo" frets
difficult to find used vs. difficult to find used

So those are your options. If you are serious about the RC7x, PM me I know a way you can get a discount on one (totally legit, no moral gray area or anything like that).

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
the frets on the Loomis are definitely bigger than 6100's.