Looking to start working out

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by CoachZ, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Tiger

Tiger SS.org Regular

This is how people stay out of shape.

2. matty2fatty

matty2fatty SS.org Regular

Exactly, and this is what kills me. I'll go 4 months exercising a lot (not like Tiger a lot, but normal people a lot, haha) and eating properly to the point where I'm getting my body to where I want it. Then I start drinking all the time, eating whoppers for breakfast to fix the hangover, and smoking my brains out, telling myself that I'll put off going back to the gym till next week....then next week turns into a month or two and I'm back to square one. I end up never really being out of shape, but never in shape either

3. BabUShka

BabUShka SS.org Regular

I'm really sorry to say that, but you are completely wrong about like.. everything.

1. Low reps = getting stronger, activating the 1.st muscle fibers and still building muscles, but yet not that extreme.. But you get progress over time.

2. High reps = lift lighter weights, build more muscles because you activate 2.nd type of muscular fibers. Gives a "pang" start, but doesn't work that well over time.

3. Low reps and heavy weights = more stress on your muscles and nerve system. which helps gaining strength and burn calories.

4. Muscles do grow, shrink and stay the same.. the more wight you can lift 10 times, the more muscles you will build. To lift more you'll need to show progress over time.

5. Actually.. Low reps burns more fat and calories than high reps, unless your training with extreme high reps intervals. Low reps burns more because you lift heavier = needed more calories for each lift and it stresses your body even more than high reps.

So IMO.. You are actually 100% wrong mate.
    That's why 5x5 Stronglifts is the perfect program to
    1. Get stronger
    2. Build muscles
    3. Burn fat
    It's the perfect combination in between the low and high reps. And it's based on basic muscles which include several muscles in each lift = you can lift heavier and burn more caloreis without doing 10 different exercises for each workout.

I've tried the 5x5 ST and can 100% recommend that training program.

4. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd has left the building Contributor

WHAT THE FUCK is 5' 12"...?

Are you on drugs?

12" = 1 foot. 5 + 1 = 6' :yesway:

5. MacTown09

MacTown09 SS.org Regular

Hey man dont let things hold you off! Seriously just getting in there and doing ANYTHING is gonna be better for you than doing nothing at this point. For me i started weight lifting last year. Before that i had done track and cross country for around 7 years. I ran a sub 2 minute 800, my 1.5 mile was sub 7:50 in 8th grade, and my mile was under 4:40 (my worst event). Thats when i was about 6 ft 3 and weighed about 150-155. Now after only a year of lifting i am up to about 185. No fat either. I keep my cardio up still and i am sure im not as fast as i was before or anything but thats only because i dont do running workouts anymore. I am sure i could get a real good mile time again given about 2 or 3 weeks of training. Get out there and run though man! Do some running! Do some machine weights! Anything is gonna help.

Peace.

6. matt397

matt397 Tr00f

:rofl:

When I have time to go to the gym which is usually after a layoff (I climb and lift steel for 10 -16 hours a day when Im on the job, I dont want to hear anyone tell me I could "make time" for it :lol:) my program usually looks like this;
    1/2 hour - 45 mins of cardio (treadmill or elliptical)
    1 hour of weights. (Monday chest, abs. Tues biceps, back. Wedn triceps, shoulders. Thurs Legs, abs. Friday is kind of a touch up day, maybe do some chest cause its my favourite muscle group to work out.)
    20 mins Sauna, crank that fukker up an sweat out all the crap. Might not be for everyone but I look forward to the sauna, its like a treat at the end of a good workout.
    Also I dont know if anybody else does the same but I usually drink a shaker cup of some kind of nitric oxide drink about 10 mins before I start.

7. CoachZ

CoachZ Needs guitar skills

Bump:
    For those who were curious - I joined my local university's gym and on Monday, I'm gonna go in and book an appointment with a trainer to get started.

8. matt397

matt397 Tr00f

Good for you dude. If you stick to it a trainer can do wonders for you, I think a lot of people just need someone to push them. I knew a guy that spent a year in the gym an maybe lost 10 lbs over that year (the guy was 5'5 an 200 lbs of fat). Instead of giving up he got a trainer. Last time I saw him he was down to 150 an muscular.

Keep at it mang ! Best of luck to you ! :hbang:

9. CoachZ

Thanks, dude. I'm definitely one of those who need the push and I think the added stress relief perks will help with my studies. I'm pretty stressed after one week in. :lol:

10. Sang-Drax

Sang-Drax God is dad

Living in Curitiba (Brazil). Originally from Rio.
    I'll second the 5x5 Stronglifts program. It's the only thing I've done regarding workout which has ever worked for me. Plus, it's less time-consuming than the usual high rep routine, and funnier as well. :yesway:

11. leandroab

leandroab Stay Negativeā„¢

Why not look for a gym? I did. They set up my exercises according to my build, did a full physical evaluation, gave tips about floor exercises, correct postures, etc.

I hated it for the first month. But then I got used to it and just kept doing it everyday. When you start seeing the results, it encourages you to keep going.

12. CoachZ

Hey there. I've joined my university's local gym. Since the membership is hugely subsidized because of fees. $60 for the semester. Also, I'm getting a trainer there now that I have money to burn on that. The trainer rate goes for $25 an hour and they have packages of 5 segments for $120 which I'm thinking of getting. My question is just how often I should see a trainer because it's really easy to burn all that money away but the push is useful.