Looking to improve mix, feedback wanted

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by goobaba, Jun 28, 2017.

1. goobaba

goobaba SS.org Regular

2. Seybsnilksz

Seybsnilksz SS.org Regular

The guitars sound a bit muffled. The cymbals are a bit low in volume. The drums are good but could use some more impact. The mix has good potential, but needs a bit more work.

3. goobaba

goobaba SS.org Regular

Yeah I agree with everything you're saying. The mix basically has no EQ or compression. Anyone have reccomendations for cheap/free compressor and eq plug ins?

Everytime I start adding compression and EQ to a mix the result sounds worse than the original. Something I need to improve for sure.

4. Furyof

Furyof SS.org Regular

I think the mix itself sounds good. But it sounds stale. Nothing really pops. You said you don't have any EQ or compressors on it? I'd definitely start with that. Also I'm personally a big fan saturation in mixes. Anything that will get the old analog sound, I usually add it to every instrument in my mix. Ferric is a good free one https://www.kvraudio.com/product/ferrictds---tape-dynamics-simulator-by-variety-of-sound.

There are a lot of free EQ plugins, and your DAW should have band EQ. I'd start by eqing the guitars. Take out the nasty and boost if you want. Should help with the muffled sound. If the drums are processed samples, you don't want to really recompress them. Compressing them at certain points is okay, but don't make the same mistake of heavily compressing already compressed drums. EQ and saturation can get them to pop.

5. Seybsnilksz

Tokyo Dawn Labs has some great free plugins like compressors and EQ's. They also have great tutorials on YT with Dan Worrall (one of the best speaking voices out there), who also did the tutorials for Fabfilter.

6. Seybsnilksz

Also, try some parallell compression on the drums.

7. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

I'd look at a bit more impact of the drums, the toms could afford to be more present in the mix.
    The levels are fine, I think that it is more of a mastering than mixing.
    The main lead was a bit pitchy on some of the bends, I'd look at it more closely with pitch correction.

8. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Awesome-O

Your mix isn't bad at all and is pretty clean, so you're already heading in the right direction. Drums, rhythm guitars and bass all sound very flat. That's the reason there isn't much power to the mix. You did a good job of setting your volume levels. Your mix could heavily benefit from some minor EQ'ing and added saturation on every element of the mix. I'm sure many people on the forum, including myself, would take a crack at cleaning up and finishing your mix and master.

9. goobaba

goobaba SS.org Regular

When I get some free time, I am going to try and add some EQ and compression.

Also I would gladly share the source files if anyone wanted to take a shot at polishing it.

10. goobaba

goobaba SS.org Regular

Is that something that is common? I recorded all of this on a mini scale length Ibanez, which has some intonation issues.

11. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

@goobaba you can use pitch correction on your bends, just as they do for vocal...or re-track.