Looking to get a seven string, is this worth it?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by kylendm, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Tom 1.0

Tom 1.0 Djizz.

Kyle, considering how sentimental you are about your JEM, I would say keep it and try and get the cash to buy a UV.

You can always put the JEM away and get it out again in the future. But if you trade it away you will never get it back.

2. kylendm

kylendm Electrical Mercenary

I get really tired of the JEM though as well as my other sixes. I need something different in my life and the JEM just isn't something that I really enjoy playing. I live alone and I don't have any extra money coming in and I don't see any coming in for a long while. It's pretty much the only way to see a new guitar in the future.

Debating over the UV and that GMC...

3. jl-austin

jl-austin SS.org Regular

I would not do it.

That jem with those features are fairly rare to come by. The UV can be had any time.

I would recommend buying a cheaper Ibanez 7 string to see if you like it, and keep the Jem. That Jem vs UV trade will always be there. In the future (after owning a cheaper 7 string for awhile), you could make that trade any time.

You might even get lucky and trade for an UV with a lo-pro 7. :)

Another thing, if money is tight, then you would not be able to replace the Jem (if you decide you do not like the UV). Don't do it.

4. dacimvrl

dacimvrl ss.org irRegular

yeah, haven't looked back since my UV777, it's just a beast, and it plys like sex.

5. kylendm

Meh, I haven't been able to sell this JEM in like a year even at like $1400 so I'm kinda stuck with a guitar I'm not too attached and in love with. Like I got it with money that my grandfather gave me and even then I felt it wasn't the best, it just looked neat. Kinda growing out of the look I guess and haven't picked it up and felt the same in a year or so now.

If I got rid of it I feel it would be taking that money that used from my grandfather and investing into something I'd actually use.

6. kylendm

I guess I'll just hold out for something a bit better. Not sure how I feel about it, kinda sucks haha.

7. GMCUV7

GMCUV7 Shoganai

Hi Kyle,
    I bought a UV777BK for $1000 and have also owned a bought a Jem7VWH w/ Ebony Fretboard for $1100.

Personnaly, I loved the Jem7VWH. The UV777BK plays nicely, but had a very clean, cold sound. Vai has a video playing it, the sound is very clean:

The UV777BKs (pyramid Black) are overly plentiful and can be found around or under $1K (usually have some dings). Keep watching the completed Ebay items...you'll see the range of prices.

Ibanez Universe UV 777 Steve Vai Signature Model 7 String Guitar | eBay

Ibanez UV777 w/Hard Case, Original 1990's JEM / UV 777 Japan Guitar Vai 7 String | eBay

The Jem7VWHs can sell very nicely around $1200 (can be lower/player condition or higher/new).
    IBANEZ JEM 7VWH Steve Vai GUITAR | eBay
    "NEW" Ibanez JEM7V Steve Vai Signature Electric Guitar | eBay

But, your Jem 7VWH had some mods that would likely decrease the value to around $1000-$1100.

I think the condition of your Jem and that UV777 are comparable.

I would not trade for that fixed bridge GMC. The swirl and inlays might be nice, but the fixed bridge...just never saw Swirled Jems or UVs with a hardtail. Although the paint job, pickups and inlays add to the value, your call on the hardtail. But the GMC is originally an RG....Probably need to find the right person to offload that (resale value) for the same value of your Jem7.

I agree with previous post - sell the Jem on Jemsite or Ebay. Then take that money and buy a well considered replacement (after much consideration and playing other models).