Looking to buy my next Extended guitar, need help!

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by nanthil, Dec 2, 2019.

1. nanthil

nanthil Member

6 years ago, I bought a Stephen Carpenter LTD 8 string. To me the tone sounded like a string bolted to a piece of driftwood: Muffled, with no clarity. Clean or distorted, this thing sounded like someone was playing a graham cracker. I didn't enjoy the weight of it, the scale length or the tone so I wound up getting rid of it after 2 or 3 years. After that, I haven't picked up another extended range guitar because I haven't found any locally that I'd like to buy. I've been playing an LTD EC-1000 since then. But then just a few weeks ago I got my hands on a custom shop Strat.

The frets on the Strat are butter, and the tone of the guitar (even unplugged!!) is pristine with lots of body, and the frets themselves are very comfortable to play. I'm looking for a high end 7 or 8 string guitar that plays like (not sounds like) this Stratocaster. Many of the extended guitars I have played are very "TOOTHY", meaning the frets are large or sharp sliding up the neck. I want a guitar that is "fast", with no "tooth" to the frets, that has a really juicy natural tone from the wood of the guitar, like the strat does, but doesn't sound "like a strat".

Here's the rub, I'm having trouble finding places to test drive any of the guitars I'm interested in. So I'd like to get some opinions from people who already own guitars.

If you have played any of the following, I would love to hear your detailed experience with these brands and models. I can listen to them on youtube, no problem, but everything I'd like to hear about the construction, how it feels, the texture of the guitar, the frets, and anything else you can think of is all advertising. That isn't useful for making a $2-3k purchase. I want to hear about the spongebob zoom-in, without makeup, ugly and honest truth about 8 strings you've played to help me in my search and selection.

I'm also open to recommendations. Thanks!

Guitars I'm interested in (that I know of):
    • Music Man Majesty 7
    • Abasi Larada
    • Keisel Crescent Carved Top
    • PRS SE SVN
    • .Strandberg Boden

Brands I'm personally not interested in for various reasons:
    • LTD/ESP
    • Schecter
    • Jackson

Requirements:
    • Ergonomic in scale, weight, and shape when seated between the legs
    • Non "toothy" frets. Smooth frets that don't grate against your fingers
    • No mods, for $2-3k, I refuse to replace the pickups or other hardware. The guitar should be good out of the box.
    • 24 frets (min)
    • 7-8 strings, haven't picked
    • Either multi-scale frets (if 8 string) or 25-1/2-26", some scale close to that of regular 6-string guitars. No tiny scale, or massive scale lengths. Scale should be ergonomic.
    • Variable tone, I don't want to have to wash the guitar through a tangle of pedals or post processing to dial in a tone. I don't want the guitar to sound "like a strat", but like my strat, I want the guitar to have a natural tone before its plugged in.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  2. ICSvortex

ICSvortex 0-0-0-1

lol you might want to reconsider the abasi^^
    There is a cool thread about that in here.

BUT, i dont know if you've considered Ibanez but if you want 8 strings there would be the Ibanez RG5328 that is an amazing guitar and as close to a 6 string feeling as you can get with an 8 string (not multiscale tho).

If 7 string, there are the Ibanez RGR5227MFX and the RG752M but in the 2019 lineup they have colors you either love or wont care for... But again, you wont get a more comforable feeling guitar coming from a 6 string than any Ibanez Prestige.

For the ones you've listed the Majesty will be amazing quality-wise. But in that price-point you wont have to worry about sharp fret edges if you go for reputable companies.

oh and tbh i'd go for 7 string first, the 8 string guitar isnt as accessable as is a 7.

3. Charlie Foxtrot 3rd

Charlie Foxtrot 3rd Seven strings, Zero skill

I have a Kiesel AJ7E which is essentially a crescent and I am/was blown away. I took a punt having not played one before I bought it but was relieved when I got my hands on it. Plays really well, it plays faster than I’m capable of. And the selection of tones impressed me a lot. 5 way selector with a coil tap. By far the best guitar I own.

4. The Mirror

The Mirror SS.org Regular

Personally I am really excited for the upcoming Holcomb SVN.

Since you already have the regular PRS SVN on your list I'd say take a look at it, as it is a straight upgrade to the regular model in most cases, depending on your taste ofc.

Very flat radius, fantastic pickups if you want a versatile sound (theres 300 bucks just for that) and even though I love the Holcomb Burst, the option for the walnut looks absolutely fantastic.

https://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/electrics/model/se_mark_holcomb_svn_2020

Only downside for you might be the 26,5" scale, however personally I wouldn't go too much under that for, depending on how low you might want to tune.

The Holcomb is designed for Drop G#, I'd wager, as that is the most common Periphery 7-string tuning.

Also based on the great price you can throw in a bit more bucks for stuff like a better nut or locking tuners.

5. nanthil

nanthil Member

Is this the thread you were talking about? I'm going to guess it is, with the Tosin post at the top of the page. Sad day on all the changes to the company. It sucks when things don't work out. I guess we'll see how the change in business model works out.
    https://www.sevenstring.org/threads...-out-frank-falbo.302983/page-201#post-5073374

I'm all about reconsidering now, I'll try to find that thread. Thanks for the other suggestions, I'll start looking into those today!

Do they not make a custom 24 in 7? Is it only the SE line?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 12:03 PM
  6. ICSvortex

ICSvortex 0-0-0-1

Yes its that thread, its quite long but its one of the most amazing threads tbh^^
    And as you can see from the thread title, things didnt go to plan for a looong time now...

7. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

Get a jp7. Abasi you can't get because the company is in turmoil. A kiesel is another good alternative. PRS SE is cheaper in quality than the others. Strandberg is overpriced and seems to lack quality control.

nanthil and Masoo2 like this.
  8. The Mirror

The Mirror SS.org Regular

The do if you ask for it as a Private Stock, wouldn't recommend if you aren't filthy rich, though.

Thing is the Holcomb SE's are downright criminal for the low price they cost. Especially the Alpha and Omega's are easily the best PU's in any SE guitar.

As I said, if you change the Nut and the Tuners you have a top-notch 7 string.

The nut might not even be a problem anymore, however with the regular Holcomb 6-string it was horrible and definitely needed replacement. The specs for the 7 say that it already is a graphite-composite, so they might just have put a Graph Tech in the there from the stock.

Mike himself plays his SE on tour and in studio (with a new nut and tuners), so he certainly is confident in the guitar.