Looking mixing critiques before I send off for mastering! (instrumental prog)

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by RobertVII, Aug 10, 2019.

1. RobertVII

RobertVII SS.org Regular

I recently recorded a 3 song EP and one of the songs is to be used as a reference for all 3 songs to have a consistent mix across the board. I was hoping I could get some advice on my current mix. As of right now, I think the kick needs to be adjusted and some volume levels need to be made to the bass, lead, and snare. I could be wrong though. I've listened to the mix a ton so I think my ears might be tired haha. The current mix has some slight mastering on it as well. (bus comp, some eq, and limiter) Again any advice would be super helpful!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  2. Stijnson

Stijnson SS.org Regular

Will you be posting said mix...?

3. RobertVII

RobertVII SS.org Regular

4. Seybsnilksz

Seybsnilksz SS.org Regular

To me the snare sounds like a lot of attack and not much else, so it pokes out a lot.

The rest of the mix is pretty good! Guitar tone is good, cymbals are nice, bass tone is good (programmed Dingwall perhaps?), kick sound is nice. Good and nice.

5. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Something about the toms or snare has a lot of "wood" sound to it. Very dry...not bad though, a bit different. I felt that the solo melded a little too much into the backing rhythm, backing rhythm appears a little clowdy, especially on low end. Maybe clean up overall the low end.

Didn't hear bass guitar on 1st track, it's barely a suggestion in the mix.

BTW, I imagine if two robovacs have sex it'll sound something like that :)
    Some incredible solo lines.

6. RobertVII

RobertVII SS.org Regular

Thanks for the feed back man! The bass is a programmed ding wall. You have a good ear haha. I looked into the snare and adjusted it a bit.

Thanks for the feedback and compliment man! You were totally right about the low end. I looked into it and some of my cuts were not in the right place. I’ve also beefed up the Toms so they some more “boom” to them.

I’m gonna attach my most recent mix of the song. I’m pretty satisfied with the mix now but I’m gonna listen to it for a few days and think of anything else I’d need to adjust.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cdWHIRQkWy3XRC6seFBnNjin2lUsfuvK/view?usp=drivesdk

7. faloppa

faloppa SS.org Regular

I listened to your last mix and sounds very good, the snare is not as pokey as before, even though it still sounds dry, I'd suggest to compress the room mic(s) of the snare, that might help (or maybe you do want the snare that way, if so, just skip my advice haha), and in the first mix there was a lack of low-end in general, now the new mix sounds more solid in that aspect. Cool song btw, it reminds me of Sithu-Aye :).

8. Seybsnilksz

I agree with faloppa, snare could still use more tail/sustain. One trick is to have a master bus compressor with very fast attack (less than a millisecond) and about 100ms release that ducks the mix about 2-4db everytime the snare hits. This makes it sit well without having to lower the volume of only the snare. You shouldn't have to do any fancy side-chaining to make this work since the snare transient is probably the loudest thing in the mix anyways.

The new mix has a bit more high mids that I'm not sure if they're beneficial to the mix, mostly in the rhythm guitars.

9. RobertVII

RobertVII SS.org Regular

Thanks for the compliment and feedback dude! Looked into my room compression and it wasn’t any near what it needed to be so I adjusted it. Sithu-Aye was definitely an influence on the song hahaha.

I think I found the issue with snare. I’m still getting the hang of parallel compression so I don’t think I was doing it properly before resulting in the lack of sustain in the snare. I’ve been tinkering with the rhythm guitar tone a bit but I think I finally settled on one and it doesn’t have as high mids as the previous mix.

This is the most recent mix and I wanna say thank you so much for the feedback so far! It’s been very helpful.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_zJDobYkD_o-e_JYHCyciO1fg1MuH0Xy/view?usp=drivesdk

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  10. Seybsnilksz

I still hear the same problem with the snare. What kind of parallel compression are you going with?

New guitar tone isn't abrasive, but instead cloudy in the mids. Maybe around 300-500 or so.

11. RobertVII

RobertVII SS.org Regular

I was feeding partial signals from the drums into a separate parallel bus with snare sending more than the rest. My ears must just be getting fatigued from listening to it so much. This is the most recent mix but I’m getting pretty satisfied with how everything is sitting.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W5yXJTSgycPlqcgSsuWntkHvBKsTHCjR/view?usp=drivesdk

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  12. Seybsnilksz

What are the settings on the compressor that's in parallel?

13. RobertVII

RobertVII SS.org Regular

I've been using the smash and grab compressor from GGD set to their Parallel setting with the threshold set pretty low.

14. Seybsnilksz

In Smash mode I suppose? The Grab mode would be a cause for the pokey attack if you're using that. If you still want to use the Grab mode however, you could turn up the saturation knob a bit to make the transients easier on the ear. Also use the input knob to get gain reduction instead of/in conjunction with the threshold knob. That will simulate input distortion which also help making the transients less pokey.

RobertVII likes this.
  15. RobertVII

RobertVII SS.org Regular

I was using the smash mode on the parallel but I am using grab mode on the snare itself. I'm thinking that switching it to smash mode might make it not as pokey.

16. Trainwreck

Trainwreck SS.org Regular

Needs more cowbell.:cheers:

RobertVII likes this.