Looking into getting 1st 8 string

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by thomas.reuter, Jan 14, 2021.

1. ResistentialAssultSquadron

ResistentialAssultSquadron I like not this news, bring me some other news

Kiesel are fine, they do good work...as an owner of an 2018 V7 27", i knowingly disagree. It DOES hold an .008 gauge string firmly. Thats bs...agile arent even in the same league. Everyone is entitled to opinions and can believe whatever they want. But the internet seems to be full of shit occassionally, and people love to make decisions for others. Fucking shitshow. I find opinions from zit-faced basement chuggers to be the epitomy of bullshit.

buck fever likes this.
  2. rawrxd

rawrxd SS.org Regular

yeah, my VM7 that they built me is incredible.. even with the stock Lithiums that everyone loves to bash.

currently looking into getting another guitar built by Kiesel but can't decide on model and whether or not to go up to 8 strings or stay at 7 lol.

3. ResistentialAssultSquadron

I have a dcm8...fucking dope.

buck fever and Thorsday like this.
  4. Thorsday

Thorsday SS.org Regular

What did you do to modify your headless Vader's high E locking nut? That is where it slips. It is a known issue at Kiesel now, and they gave zero support other than "use .009 gauge or thicker."

Sure, it plays and holds a .008" just fine, as long as you don't bend up/sharp. You must not do bends at all... Like Tosin Abasi. Which is fine. But no need for ad hominem attacks. I'm actually a fresh faced homeowner with high altitude acreage. No basement in my house, although I wish there was... Get your facts straight.

5. Thorsday

Thorsday SS.org Regular

Kiesel could have offered to accept a Return of that useless V8T in exchange for a DC800 (non multiscale). They opted for a disgruntled one-time user instead.

A return was out of the question... The DC800's can't have a Floyd Rose as an option. Lame. Kiesels are pretty paint jobs that don't work for me, apparently. I stick with Caparison, Agile, and ESP.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  6. ResistentialAssultSquadron

Touche...but the facts remain. I'm not a big bender of strings, for sure. And a genuine assessment of the handful of kiesel gripes i've asked about all yielded one specific detail that was ommited from their complaints regarding customer service...They all bought USED Kiesels. I'm not defending the legitimate CS issues some folks have made public, but they do not make shitty guitars, and a small issue with one guitar doesn't need to be used as a weapon to beat down an entire brand, its user base, or the employees of that company. Social media is giving a voice (or sometimes a megaphone) to EVERYONE, which can easily be used tastefully, and respectfully...intelligently. Rather than "don't buy kiesel", maybe consider "i don't like kiesel", then tell your horror stories about their CS or quality issues. Not a fanboy, personally, i think their axes are great...but i'm still psyched for my baller-ass Aristides.

7. Thorsday

Thorsday SS.org Regular

I suppose I was a bit harsh... For whatever it is worth... I don't think anyone is going to suicide over my user experience.

That being said... I ask again if you actually do have experiential knowledge on how to make the Vader hold a .008" string at the allen bolt/nut... Hipshot and Kiesel would probably appreciate your Engineering Re-Evaluation... I already sold my Vader, but posterity is a beautiful thing!

I tried a handful of different allen set screw/bolts... Sanding them flat... All played out in vain (a waste of strings, to boot). I found the character flaw of Kiesel's headless design guitars... Hipshot is working on the issue, since I informed them. The nonchalant response from Kiesel CS just rubbed me the wrong way. That alone will make me never deal with them again.

8. Gtan7

Gtan7 SS.org Regular

9. Thorsday

Thorsday SS.org Regular

Yes, yes, and yes. The design will not hold a .007 or .008. When you go to bend or pull up on the whammy bar, the string slips at the nut. A pity... That guitar was slick in every other respect.

10. Jeries

Jeries Banned

Lol I must sound like an ESP rep or
    SRC undercover BUT for $1k you can get the SC608B - probably for even a hundred or two under man, but I’m partial to that model obviously

11. Thorsday

Thorsday SS.org Regular

No reverse headstock? Hard pass.

Jeries likes this.
  12. Jeries

Jeries Banned

I agree, strange for them not to reverse the headstock ; but I honestly think it’s a better aesthetic to keep it standard on an 8.....an upside inline 7 is gorgeous but on an 8 it looks oddly uneven to me

I’ve seen photoshopped versions of the 608 flipped headstock and I prefer the standard factory model

but good call , should’ve been optional, as should the higher end B8 have been optional in pink lol

13. tarzegetakizerd

tarzegetakizerd SS.org Regular

I liked the aesthetic of the non-reverse headstock of the 8. However, when I got it in my hands, the headstock seemed weirdly too big. Ended up buying a slightly cheaper H-408B instead.

Jeries likes this.
  14. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

I’m not a fan of inline headstocks on 8s.

15. Thorsday

Thorsday SS.org Regular

Yeah, my Caparison Brocken 8 is #1 for more than that reason... However, my arsenal of Agile Septor 827s are inline reverse, and that feature doesn't bother me...