Looking for ways to shave down a neck heel

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by c7spheres, Mar 7, 2020.

1. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

- I want to take off about 1-2mm from the bottom of a neck heel on a parts neck I have and I'm trying to do it myself so I don't have to take it to a luthier. Any ideas?
    - Right now the best I can come up with is using a benchtop belt sander, but my worry is keeping the heel level/straight.
    - Is my thinking right or is there a better way to do this?

2. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

A block plane and straight edge for flatness checking would be my weapon of choice when thinking about the task, but to be clear I've never done it.

c7spheres and Hollowway like this.
  3. Soya

Soya Poor person

Definitely don't use power tools for that thin of an adjustment, you will get into trouble quickly and be screwed. I'd glue some 150 grit sandpaper to a known flat surface and move the neck heel back on forth on it, sighting down the fretboard while sanding it to ensure it's straight and flat.

4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Do you have access to a drill press? Bench or free-standing will both work.

Clamp the neck in a cross slide vice and use a router bit, or one of those Safe-T Planer ones that StewMac sells. Go slow.

5. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

- Thanks for the ideas guys.
    - I'm thinking the non-power tool methods at this point. I'm gonna try on a scrap piece of maple and see how it goes first and if I'm confident then go for it on the neck itself.
    -I have a drill press and that Safe-T Planer looks great though. I never heard of those. Since this is a one time thing I think either try the by hand method or just cave and pay my tech to do it, as the attachments for these things is more than my guy would charge to do it probably. I'm thinking maybe just pay the professional to do it and have a greater chance or success. At least the liability would be in his hands.

6. Defyantly

Defyantly Aspiring Builder

easy way like @Soya said, go to lowes/HD go to their flooring section and find a square of tile. I normally find one that is marble and glass smooth. Check the flatness then go grab some 3m spray adhesive and a pack of multi grit sand paper. cut strip of paper just a little wider than the heel glue onto tile. Then take it one flat stroke at a time. It make take some time but it will get you where you wanna go and for pretty cheap I might add.

aesthyrian and c7spheres like this.
  7. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Do this, but lay down some painter's tape before you glue the sandpaper so that there isn't a buildup of glue on the marble piece.

Defyantly and c7spheres like this.
  8. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Shouldn't be necessary with 3M Photo Mount. The remaining glue after removing the sand paper can quickly be wiped away with most thinners or alcohol.

c7spheres likes this.
  9. Defyantly

Defyantly Aspiring Builder

right. this is acceptable as well. If your wanting for a one time fix then just forgo the tape. plus you need to be even with your taping job so that you don't have steps in your sanding.

BlackMastodon and c7spheres like this.
  10. redkombat

redkombat Tree Whore

just eyeball it with a really sharp knife

c7spheres likes this.
  11. Lemons

Lemons SS.org Regular

Sanding isn't a good way of removing material, its nearly impossible to keep even pressure on a piece over the entire process. Planing the material by hand will be a 5 minute job and yield good results.

aesthyrian and c7spheres like this.
  12. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Thanks @Lemons . I'm probably gonna take it to a tech with more experience. I could do it and have tools, but I just don't want to chance it with this neck since I haven't done this before. It's to big of a risk for this neck in particular. Thanks again!