Looking for some good prog metal style lessons

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by Steen, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Steen

Steen SS.org Regular

I'd love to find something that teaches an actual tune while explaining theory and technique. Any good recommendations?

2. Steen

Steen SS.org Regular

Maybe that's asking for too much in one thing. How about some suggestions for some songs to learn that are good easy wins?

3. Ink1940

Ink1940 SS.org Regular

Dream Theater balladry lol hell, learn Count Of Tuscany, it's long, but fairly easy.

Pain of Salvation has a few easy songs, Leprous is usually not too hard on guitar. Also on lessons, Petrucci had a column on guitar world, as did Tosin and Plini, you can find videos on youtube of these.

4. Steen

Steen SS.org Regular

Awesome! I'll check that stuff out. Very much appreciated!

5. Steen

Steen SS.org Regular

I'm not overly familiar with Dream Theater's music, but I've been aware of them and Petrucci for a long time. Just listened to the album in one song that is Count of Tuscany. Not sure I'd call than an easy win, but it's definitely a lot to chew on lol! I also skimmed a little of his GW column and it looks like it'll be a great resource. Thanks again @Ink1940!

6. Ink1940

Ink1940 SS.org Regular

It seems long but when you break it down, it has minimal noodling really, there's some, but not off the top ike their other material, and it's pretty repetitive, you'll nail it!

7. Ink1940

Ink1940 SS.org Regular

When I learnt it I broke it in sections, the easiest first(intro, verse, chorus, verse, the long middle interlude, outro), then started adding the harder parts(the circus thing between the verses, the unison in the begnning and the unison before the soft interlude) if you're not great at solos add them at the end, the first and the last well, last.

8. Steen

Steen SS.org Regular

That sounds like a good way to approach it. Might keep me from getting bogged down in something I'm not ready for. I started watching the Pettruci stuff on GW and trying to follow along with the tabs. It was pretty fun to just try out some riffs. Thanks again for your suggestions!

9. Oxygen Hands

Oxygen Hands SS.org Regular

Hey, hope it's ok to post this but I've actually not long started a youtube channel you might be interested in - each week I'm picking a different musical concept, either a piece of theory or a guitar technique or whatever, and showing how you can make riffs out of it. I'm very into like prog metal stuff myself so I'm trying to mostly cover stuff related to that.

Here's my latest one if you're interested -

Cheers!

10. Steen

Steen SS.org Regular

Gotta spend some time with those videos. Looks like great stuff @Oxygen Hands! Thanks for sharing.