Looking For Recommendation For Repair Work in the Boston/Cambridge Area?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Carl Kolchak, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak Last of the famous international playboys

I need some work done on a couple of guitars, set-ups, pup swaps etc., and was hoping to get some recommendations here. I tried looking into things locally already, but for every good review I find I see another catastrophically bad one negating it right below, so I'm kind of at a loss as to who to go to and who to avoid atm.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire thy fart is murder

Equilibrium guitars is based out of Boston. They do repair and tech work iirc.
    You could also try hitting up Axe Palace as they apparently have very good techs

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Have you tried Matt's Music? I've bought some guitars through them and the overall experience was excellent. I've heard good things about thier tech work too.

How about Axe Palace? I've handled guitars they've pickup swapped and setup and the work seemed solid.

I think thats the same neck of the woods as @Drew. Maybe he'll chime in.

4. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak Last of the famous international playboys

I was looking for a spot in either Boston or Cambridge proper. Axe Palace is a little out of the way.

5. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

Jump on 95 S... it's like 20 miles... and you'll be there in less than 3 hours.

Demiurge and Carl Kolchak like this.
  6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I've never had tech work done by Matt's Music, but every experience I've had with them as a buyer has been great. It sounds like you're not looking for anything too complex, so they'd probably be a good place to start.

I do most of my own work these days, but anything outside of my skillset (refrets, major repairs, etc) I've been going to Mouradian Guitar, initially because they were in Porter Square, and then even after they moved out to the 'burbs, because they were damned good. Jim Mouradian died a few years ago, though, and his son carried the business on for a while, but the last time I biked past his shop I didn't see a sign in the window, so I don't know if he's still doing it. They were pretty badly backed up for a while, too - they were good enough to be in high demand, and then when you go from a two man shop to a one-man shop, well... That's tough.

Carl Kolchak likes this.